Introduce Yourself

Replies

• jennayoung1109
    jennayoung1109 Posts: 7 Member
    Hey everyone! I'm Jenna, I found a love for running last fall. I've done some 5Ks, currently in training for my first 10K, and if that goes well I'm toying with the idea of a half marathon at the end of this year. I'm currently doing the Couch to 10K program because the Couch to 5K program totally worked! I couldn't run even 90 seconds without feeling like I was dying before I started that. I'm still slow- average a 10:30 mile, so after I start to feel more comfortable with a 10K distance I want to start working on speed. Would love suggestions on the best way to increase speed, I'm not quite sure what my plan should be!
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Hi there.
    I'm Megan, and I would say I'm fairly new to running. I started running a couple years ago when I was much more overweight and I didn't get very far (literally). Now that I only have about 20-25lb left to lose, I'm enjoying running much more. A friend of mine has challenged me to do a half marathon next year, so that's what's really kicking me into gear.

Right now I am up to running 2.5 miles at a time. As of 5 weeks ago the best I could do was 1.25 miles. I've been trying to increase my distance by at least 10% each week and that has been working well for me so far!

I'm getting to the point where I can use running as a stress reliever and find myself actually *needing* to go for a run after a long day at work. :) I am just hoping I don't get burnt out on it as I sometimes tend to get bored, but usually as long as I keep setting goals, I'm good!
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    I'm Diane and I've been running since my junior year of HS. I ran throughout college, as part of my training for crew, then did my first two half marathons before graduation. I've been a bit on and off since then, due mostly to hip problems during all four pregnancies, but have done three more halfs and a bunch of shorter races. I'm back again after boy #4 and ready to start looking for some spring races.

I love running--I feel like "me" and not "mom" when I run
  • itsup2memi
    itsup2memi Posts: 27 Member
    Hello everyone Michele here.
    I am in the peocess of training for a 1/2 in April and a full in Sept. I just started running agai. And look forward to the camaraderie.
  • natyack
    natyack Posts: 56 Member
    Hi-- Just joining here, I am a beginner/novice runner, my goal this month is 50 miles. I have done many 5k's in the past, and am currently training for a 10 mile run the last weekend in April/1st week of May.

Glad I found this group!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Hi, I'm Erik. Been in this challenge all month, and Never introduced myself. I've never really been a runnwe, but I finally got bored of doing all my cardio inside, so I started trying running again. WOW, I now need to find ways to make cross training more a part of my schedule. I'm running 3-5 days a week depending on how I'm feeling, and I'm training toward a 5 mile race in July, and a half marathon in September, with a possible second half in October. Current max distance was this last Saturday, 7.1 miles, but I felt like I could have gone another mile after I was done, looking forward to keeping up with the challenges over the next few months.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Hi, I'm Erik. Been in this challenge all month, and Never introduced myself. I've never really been a runnwe, but I finally got bored of doing all my cardio inside, so I started trying running again. WOW, I now need to find ways to make cross training more a part of my schedule. I'm running 3-5 days a week depending on how I'm feeling, and I'm training toward a 5 mile race in July, and a half marathon in September, with a possible second half in October. Current max distance was this last Saturday, 7.1 miles, but I felt like I could have gone another mile after I was done, looking forward to keeping up with the challenges over the next few months.

Feeling like you could run another mile is exactly how you should feel at the end of a long run! Save the "left it all on the course" feeling for race day.
  • zoe2434
    zoe2434 Posts: 69 Member
    Hello, I'm Jenn. I ran/walked my first 5K last September. I didn't really know what to expect, and know that when I RU it this year, I'm going to be ready! I do a lot of cardio on my treadmill at home and hope to start getting outside once I can run further than a mile! Looking forward to being a part of this group and I'm hoping to meeting some really great people too!
  • goin2cruise
    goin2cruise Posts: 28 Member
    I have ran since my older sister, who received a Division 1 scholarship to run, made me join the Cross Country team my freshman year- she was a senior. I ended up being the 5th runner (out of the 7 that went out). I have ran through 2 pregnancies, divorce, and living in the Midwest, the snow, ice, wind, and heat. LOL.

I don't have any big races planned. I did that prior to turning 40 with PRs in 10k, half and full marathons. Now I just want to run because of the feeling I get when I am done.

I want to join this group for accountability. Its almost April, so my April mileage goal will be 25. Twice a week, 3-4 miles, and a weekend run thrown in.
  • Justdoitkelly
    Justdoitkelly Posts: 23 Member
    Hi my name is Kelly and I am starting a 8 week run/walk program to get back into running again, weight loss and overall improvement of my fitness level. I love the idea of sharing with people with similar goals.
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Hi all, I'm Michele, from Yeppoon, a seaside town in Queensland, Australia. I joined the monthly running challenge group in January, and was sure that I had already introduced myself here, but maybe I did not. I started running about 12 years ago, on and off as I had my last 3 children, and a pregnancy-related pelvic joint injury. I had never run longer than 10km until I trained for, and ran, my first half marathon in 2014, and am currently training for my first marathon in July this year. I am happy to add running friends.
  • librarianlady2012
    librarianlady2012 Posts: 56 Member
    I am working up to jogging a 5k. I have been in two 5k's in years past one of them jogged the whole thing the other jogged and walked. I find that having a goal motivates me so I am back at it. This time I want to jog the whole thing and then I will work on getting a better time or increasing my distance.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    I am working up to jogging a 5k. I have been in two 5k's in years past one of them jogged the whole thing the other jogged and walked. I find that having a goal motivates me so I am back at it. This time I want to jog the whole thing and then I will work on getting a better time or increasing my distance.

Sounds like a good plan. One thing to remember, increasing distance will help with a better time on the shorter runs.
  • akerra27
    akerra27 Posts: 117 Member
    Hello everyone=)
    New here and fairly new to MFP. I have discovered my most preferred exercise is running. While I am still building stamina and all that good stuff I would like to set a goal of 20 miles for me this month and work up from there. (It might be low to some but for me that is a good starter)
  • ahealthyop
    ahealthyop Posts: 4 Member
    Hi. I've searched all of FB and other sites for a current virtual running group. My BFF @ANewLucia put me on to MFP years ago but I've resisted every type of social media for years now. But the longer I am away from friends and family and the more running appeals to me, the more I want to have others to "run" with. Don't get me wrong, I'm no runner but I totally enjoy it, LOVE being outdoors although where I am now it's mostly treadmill.

I've been lurking in this/the monthly group since December so I guess it's time to be brave. But the bravery starts with a mere 25 miles for April. The ticker is cool so will attempt that. See y'all "on the track"
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Hi I'm Eugenio.

I'm an old fart of MFP. Hadn't joined the group.
    I'm historically a cyclist but decided to focus on running these last months and work up to a HM, Marathon with the eventual idea of doing a Half IM.

I'm a science person (biomed engineer) with 20 plus years in healthcare.

I live in France and Germany but I grew up in Mexico and the US.

Happy miles.
  • ldmic123
    ldmic123 Posts: 1 Member
    Hello everyone,

My name is LaDonna and I am new to joining challenges. This of course, is my first one. I plan to run 30 miles this month. I will need much support to make this happen, but I do plan to give it my all. I am in my middle forties, and losing weight has become a challenge in itself. I need the extra push, so I look forward to joining you all.
  • ahealthyop
    ahealthyop Posts: 4 Member
    ldmic123 wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

My name is LaDonna and I am new to joining challenges. This of course, is my first one. I plan to run 30 miles this month. I will need much support to make this happen, but I do plan to give it my all. I am in my middle forties, and losing weight has become a challenge in itself. I need the extra push, so I look forward to joining you all.

You got this LaDonna! Mid 40s here too and I feel the same. I used to "think" about dropping a couple pounds and the weight somehow magically came off but no more. Go get those miles!
  • jerzeygirl619
    jerzeygirl619 Posts: 17 Member
    Hello everyone, my name is Sarah. I live in Louisville, KY.

I have never been a runner because I have bad knees and large breasts. Two things that make running uncomfortable. I have always wanted to run a half marathon, so I decided this is the year I am going to do it. I have signed up for a half marathon for this coming December.

I have 8 months to train for a half marathon. That may seem like a lot, but I am not a runner and can hardly walk 3 miles without wanting to pass out. I am starting today with the couch to 5k program to get my feet wet.

I am hoping to run in the evenings the second I get home from work.

If anyone has any advice, suggestions or thoughts, please let me know.

Feel free to add me as a friend.

Thanks.

Sarah
  • Binzee1964
    Binzee1964 Posts: 8 Member
    Hi, thanks for letting me in. I am Mark, a Londoner who has moved to the East Midlands about 4 years ago to enjoy a slow down in later life.
    I have run for many years, being a track athlete at school and then running a number of marathons.
    My focus now is on an Ultra event called the Jurassic Coast Challenge, which takes place next March. The event is 3 very hilly marathons in 3 days.
    My current level of fitness is that I am building a solid base by training for a 10k race. During that initial time I have focussed on losing some weight (37lbs gone), building strength and overall fitness.
    That has gone well having lowered my 5k time by more than 90 seconds. Next is 2 weeks vacation followed by the building of mileage. Stage 3 is to get to the stage where I have 3 consecutive long runs each week (just after Christmas).
    I don't know if I can do it, but you have to have a plan!!