What LCHF is NOT!

2»

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    @FIT_Goat My calorie goal is 1660 and carbs at 100g. That's manually calculating macros because of the percentage limits and such set by MFP.

Honestly, I don't usually get to 100g, so if I eat 50g carbs, I'll eat more fat, for example.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    It's all about balance. I think the main thing is realizing that you can't eat 400 grams of protein with a 1600 calorie goal and no fat or carbs. That is a recipe for disaster. The 150 grams is very reasonable and moderate.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    "Anybody seen any other new ones for the Groups?"

I would love to see a Newbie FAQ on LCHF for Vegetarians. I just read the now closed discussion by an OP who was told she can't logically/realistically do a <20 gr WOE.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10361470/so-bloody-sick-of#latest

What I see happening in public, in FB and other LC topic sites is a demonizing of ALL carbs- veggie or otherwise, ALL grains-when many do not cause inflammation, for EVERYONE. So seeing the REALITY of how LCHF is going to be different for vegetarians might inform before there are unsafe/unrealistic diet plans.

I've seen the 'crazy-making' food boredom when trying to stay well under 50 carbs total as a Vegetarian, Vegans will have an impossible time of it....it ain't pretty, and can't be maintained.

LCHF CAN'T be all things to all people, but I feel it is possible to follow a ~70-130 gr carb plan, not be forced to just choose SAD/healthy plate, and gain overall health, even have weight loss.

But newbie enthusiasm and desire to attain purity in Keto needs to have a "Dutch Uncle" FAQ reality check up front. THEN they can ask questions, and learn how to make it work for their special needs.

That person didn't want to eat any of the vegetarian fat sources because they were sick and tired of them. They were asking about other foods to eat and stay under 20g carbs but none of the suggested foods was acceptable, so it was suggested to allow more vegetable carbs because it was obvious they couldn't get enough food and nutrition without either continuing to eat the things they no longer desired or start to eat more of the things they did want that are perfectly acceptable to remain in ketosis.
    There had been several confused posts that I tried to sort out for that OP because there was regular mention that certain foods were "not Keto", when they certainly are. OP was trying to adhere to a 20g total without eating butter, eggs, coconut oil or avocado (those are the ones I recall)...
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    edited April 2016
    In terms of what you've defined as lower carb, low/moderate carb, and very low carb, I'd agree to those definitions basically, seeing as they seem to jibe with most other sources I've come across. I guess it's good to have some agreed upon terms just for the sake of conversation.

In terms of the medical information, I don't know, because I'm really not an expert in that area. But from what I've read, how low a person needs to go on carbs to enter a state of ketosis and become what you call fat adapted can vary quite a bit from individual to individual. I don't know, that's just what I read somewhere, but I imagine that everyone will have somewhat different needs.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 964 Member
    deadsdad101 being new to the LCHF mindset I actually found defining some word usage helpful.

I really do not care what terms get used but I want us to be using the same language so to speak. Thanks to everyone for your input.

It is critical to my health I now understand at my age of 63 to toss weight loss out as a primary goal and see it as a positive side effect of LCHF lifestyle. Actually pain management is and will remain my main objective for learning and practicing a healthy eating lifestyle. I know the weight loss will happen and it will require I account for what I eat.

Agree with above. I am fine with definitions you agree on. In general I find this low carb group of people who post here very positive, supportive and less argumentative. Is it the low sugar making us all happier??? :smile:

Everyone needs to do what works for them as Lisawinning41 posted and certainly a person who does strenuous exercise can have more carbs in their diet than I can tolerate.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    bisky wrote: »
    deadsdad101 being new to the LCHF mindset I actually found defining some word usage helpful.

I really do not care what terms get used but I want us to be using the same language so to speak. Thanks to everyone for your input.

It is critical to my health I now understand at my age of 63 to toss weight loss out as a primary goal and see it as a positive side effect of LCHF lifestyle. Actually pain management is and will remain my main objective for learning and practicing a healthy eating lifestyle. I know the weight loss will happen and it will require I account for what I eat.

Agree with above. I am fine with definitions you agree on. In general I find this low carb group of people who post here very positive, supportive and less argumentative. Is it the low sugar making us all happier??? :smile:

Everyone needs to do what works for them as Lisawinning41 posted and certainly a person who does strenuous exercise can have more carbs in their diet than I can tolerate.

It certainly is the case for me. :+1:

The OP is a commentary on what LCHF is, or isn't.
    It's a range.
    Low-carb is a range, too.
    It's our own personal task to discover which meshes best with our preferences and our unique DNA.
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    baconslave wrote: »
    It's our own personal task to discover which meshes best with our preferences and our unique DNA.

I so wish everyone would take this stance. People are so very different and each path it is unique. Feel brave, experiment, make changes and find what makes you happy, healthy and a better you..
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    And then you have freaks like me. I exercise off glycogen and eat moderate carb but put my body in keto condition by physical effort.

I like the open acceptance of the concept that there are many roads that lead to the Kroger grocery store.

Today was a hard hour fast on the bike. On an empty stomach and I will have a big hunk of steak in a few minutes. Today may be close to 50-100 carbs. Definitely not low carb to some but factoring in an hour at 75% HRM, I'm at almost no carbs. I burnt off twice that already today

I don't post often but this wildly variable lifestyle works quite well when you adapt it to who and what you are.

I'm an addictive personality type that can't eat one cookie. I eat 12. So if I do I need a bail out plan to clean up by blood glucose level. Simply put, work that fuel off

So for me, low carb net for my body is the circulating glycogen available for daily normal bodily function.

Whatever works for you, rock on!!
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    75s5vym1cl2i.png

This is my totals for today. At eighty-seven years old I'd be grateful to know the opinion of other posters here.

Both brickbats and bouquets.
  • MissyCHF
    I forget to say I do no exercise other than I need in my daily life. I spend a lot of time sitting. I'm in Tier 3 lockdown in England.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    I just want to say WTG at 87, @MissyCHF
    Just make sure to get enough protein as a senior, as we do not absorb as well as we get older:
    Experts in the field of protein and aging recommend a protein intake between 1.2 and 2.0 g/kg/day or higher for elderly adults [3,8,15]. The RDA of 0.8 g/kg/day is well below these recommendations and reflects a value at the lowest end of the AMDR. It is estimated that 38% of adult men and 41% of adult women have dietary protein intakes below the RDA [16,17].
    From 2016 here: https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4924200/
  • MissyCHF
    Many thanks, canadjineh, I wondered about protein, a couple of years ago I was diagnosed with CKD stage 3 but I seem to be clear now. I have no gall bladder now but that doesn't bother me.

I have arthritic hips and knees so I'm trying to get my weight down - lighten the load. :)
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    edited December 2020
    @MissyCHF I too have been given that CKD notice that my eGFR is lower than normal, around stage 2-3. But all my other markers (hba1c, blood sugars, chol, trigs, etc.) are in good shape, so when I asked for a referral to have the CKD check, the doc said I did not need one. Now wondering about what to watch for. Any tips? I am 63, doing LCHF since 2013 mainly, though fall off the wagon over the holidays usually. I do yoga/pilates 3-4 times a week. But working from home this year has added back some kgs! need to get rid of those from January.
  • MissyCHF
    Hi camtosh, I wish I could advise you, I just don't know enough about these things. I do remember that around that time I was eating extremely low carbs and very high protein. I have moderated my diet a great deal now because I just could not stick to a diet of such extremes. Whether that helped - I've really no idea. I wasn't a member here then so couldn't ask for advice. I didn't ask my doctor because I thought CKD 3 was just a part of old age. Then recently when she told me I was no longer CKD I began to question my diet at that time.

I do advise you to ask others here because there really is a wealth of knowledge and experience in this Low Carber forum.