Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

butter vs margarine

167891012»

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    I would not base food safety on what insects will eat. Many of them have an actual alkaline digestive system instead of acidic. That is very helpful to humans looking for pesticides that are deadly to insects but cannot withstand the acidic environment of a human stomach. Cry protein being one such example.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Mayonnaise.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    lithezebra wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    one235 wrote: »
    I have read so much about these two things and I still don't know which is better to eat.

Butter is real food. Margarine is plastic food. Butter is Better.

Ingredients in Country Crock Spread. Please let me know which one is plastic?

"PURIFIED WATER, SOYBEAN OIL, PALM KERNEL AND PALM OIL, SALT, LECITHIN (SOY), VINEGAR, NATURAL FLAVORS, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, BETA CAROTENE (COLOR), VITAMIN D3."

Technically, you could probably make plastic out of margarine or butter, since plastic is a broad term, and often refers to malleable polymers derived from hydrocarbons, which margarine and butter are.

Hmmm, so would homemade plastic qualify as clean? And would a bug eat it?

If there are no arthropods that would eat it, there's probably a eukaryote. Pseudomonas aeruginosa can eat nylon, a polyamide, sort of like a protein.
  • speerickson
    speerickson Posts: 8 Member
    Butter all the way.
  • annajwagner
    annajwagner Posts: 8 Member
    Butter. However, I am biased. I grew up on a dairy farm.

Same. I never use margarine. I also don't really care for food substitutes generally. Prefer full fat foods also as I enjoy the taste way more and it fills me up better.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Butter tastes good, margarine does not.

In your opinion. It took me many years before I could even stand to eat butter. (Now I like it fine.) My sister to this day cannot eat butter on anything. In a recipe, she is fine with it, but on toast, or a baked potato, she just can't eat it. And I totally understand that, as I used to feel the same way.
  • Yourkindagirl
    Yourkindagirl Posts: 100 Member
    If you have problems with cholesterol as I do, margarine.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Butter for us, I never bought margarine even when it was considered healthier. Butter, olive oil, coconut oil, avocados, walnuts, salmon, tuna, occasionally other meats, we like fats in my house. Cholesterol straightened out when I added more nuts and fish and avocado, did not limit fat.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    dulcitonia wrote: »
    Never trust anything that bugs won't even eat.....

Bugs literally eat crap, so I'm going to have to look elsewhere for culinary references.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    lithezebra wrote: »
    Weirdly, I don't like butter on vegetables, and have olive oil out of preference. It saves me a lot of money I could be spending on Kerrygold.

That doesn't seem weird to me at all. I like butter on various things (such as fish in a brown butter sauce), but have always preferred olive oil on vegetables. Using too much of it was part of why I gained weight, so learning it is tasty and works just as well in smaller amounts was helpful.

I wish I could learn this.