Headaches with Lower Carb Diet

Replies

• jmarie1025
    jmarie1025 Posts: 114 Member
    Do you have a low carb food list? If not, start with this one.
    http://www.atkins.com/how-it-works/atkins-20/phase-1/low-carb-foods
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    I would becareful taking so many magnesium and potassium tablets. Electrolytes are not something you want to play with. If you set them out of whack too much, it can have very serious (even lethal) consequences.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    The benefits of ketosis is usually easier weight loss (mainly for those with some insulin resistance) and better health. Many of us have steadier and increased energy. It is great for the brain once you have been doing it for a few weeks; the brain often runs better on ketones. insulin is usually lower and blood glucose levels fall. Endurance athletes notice they are less likely to "hit the wall".

None of the above is proven fact. Note the use of "weasel words" such as "often", "usually", and "likely".

elphie754 wrote: »
    I would becareful taking so many magnesium and potassium tablets. Electrolytes are not something you want to play with. If you set them out of whack too much, it can have very serious (even lethal) consequences.

This. Be very careful.

You lose weight by eating less calories than you burn. Ketosis is IMHO a needlessly difficult way to do that.

You can eat less than you burn just by using My Fitness Pal as intended. No need to complicate things further, especially if your diet is making you suffer.

Best wishes.
  • PearBlossom9
    PearBlossom9 Posts: 136 Member
    There is a product called lite-salt, it is half sodium half potassium. Tastes like salt. I put it on a lot of stuff & it helps
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Orphia wrote: »
    The benefits of ketosis is usually easier weight loss (mainly for those with some insulin resistance) and better health. Many of us have steadier and increased energy. It is great for the brain once you have been doing it for a few weeks; the brain often runs better on ketones. insulin is usually lower and blood glucose levels fall. Endurance athletes notice they are less likely to "hit the wall".

None of the above is proven fact. Note the use of "weasel words" such as "often", "usually", and "likely".

This. Be very careful.

You lose weight by eating less calories than you burn. Ketosis is IMHO a needlessly difficult way to do that.

You can eat less than you burn just by using My Fitness Pal as intended. No need to complicate things further, especially if your diet is making you suffer.

Best wishes.

Weasel words? LOL I used those words because those experiences are not true for everyone. What words would you prefer I use for those who follow a ketogenic diet because the health benefits are working well for them? :D
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    edited April 2016
    Look for low carb sources of potassium. Since you're doing 100 grams a day, you have plenty of room for spinach, avocado, artichoke, brussels sprouts, mushrooms and tomato, to name a few things! A medium kiwi is high in potassium and only 10 carbs! Also, certain types of meat are particularly high in potassium. Pork tenderloin, sirloin steak, and seafood, like salmon and shellfish. But meat in general tends to have some amount of potassium in it. People doing very low carb sometimes use potassium salt, in addition to salt. Don't be afraid to salt everything, because your body won't retain it. Keep an eye on your blood pressure if you're at all concerned about electrolytes. Do be careful with supplements and potassium salt, because too much potassium can be dangerous.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Regarding supplements, most over the counter supplements have only 3 g of potassium, which is less than what is in a banana. I think I'd have to be taking a lot of those tablets to OD on them! I've been taking one in the morning and one in the evening, plus one 300 mg of magnesium citrate in the morning. The muscle aches are gone, but the headache/brain fog are still present, especially in the morning. I'm also including plenty of potassium in my diet. I had avocado this week, and last night, salmon, asparagus, and spinach.

I have been consuming OJ with calcium, I know not on diet, but I've been getting a genuine cold (sneezing, congestion, etc.).

Regarding weight loss, I'm tracking calories, and basically my weight is stable, as it was before starting this program. My husband, however, is losing (without tracking).
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    rosebette wrote: »
    Regarding supplements, most over the counter supplements have only 3 g of potassium, which is less than what is in a banana. I think I'd have to be taking a lot of those tablets to OD on them! I've been taking one in the morning and one in the evening, plus one 300 mg of magnesium citrate in the morning. The muscle aches are gone, but the headache/brain fog are still present, especially in the morning. I'm also including plenty of potassium in my diet. I had avocado this week, and last night, salmon, asparagus, and spinach.

I have been consuming OJ with calcium, I know not on diet, but I've been getting a genuine cold (sneezing, congestion, etc.).

Regarding weight loss, I'm tracking calories, and basically my weight is stable, as it was before starting this program. My husband, however, is losing (without tracking).

Since, you're not trying to lose weight, I would just increase your carb intake up to 130g, that should be enough to avoid those side effects, without leaving the plan
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Orphia wrote: »

This. Be very careful.

Best wishes.

Weasel words? LOL I used those words because those experiences are not true for everyone. What words would you prefer I use for those who follow a ketogenic diet because the health benefits are working well for them? :D

It's a Logical Fallacy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weasel_word

• aimeesun213
    aimeesun213 Posts: 10 Member
    Thanks for all the advice. I took an extra potassium capsule this morning and a magnesium citrate. I also broke down and had a glass of orange juice. I know it's a no-no on low carb, but I'm really suffering. The weird thing is my husband initially resisted the diet and is doing great, but I'm having a hard time. However, he's diabetic and significantly overweight (actually obese by the BMI), but I'm normal weight. Maybe he's got lots of potassium and sodium in reserve?

By the way, what is the benefit of ketosis (Dr. Ludwig doesn't mention it in his book), and why is it worth going through all this suffering?

Sodium is the one you need to increase. Add a teaspoon of salt to water or just drink a clear slaty broth. It will help. Honest! There is no need to suffer. It's an electrolyte imbalance. Those in ketosis should not feel that way unless your nutrients and minerals are out of whack. No one would stick with ketosis if that was the way you were supposed to feel.

I guess that's why my husband who is diabetic and insulin resistant is faring better than I am. I feel as if I'm in a brain fog. I haven't lost any weight yet, either, but I'm also tracking, and I'm still eating the same number of calories, just distributed differently.

The LCHF diet may be suited better to him for weight loss. It would have nothing to do with the brain fog though. That is caused by low sodium. Have you increased your sodium / salt?
    Thanks for all the advice. I took an extra potassium capsule this morning and a magnesium citrate. I also broke down and had a glass of orange juice. I know it's a no-no on low carb, but I'm really suffering. The weird thing is my husband initially resisted the diet and is doing great, but I'm having a hard time. However, he's diabetic and significantly overweight (actually obese by the BMI), but I'm normal weight. Maybe he's got lots of potassium and sodium in reserve?

By the way, what is the benefit of ketosis (Dr. Ludwig doesn't mention it in his book), and why is it worth going through all this suffering?

Ketosis is making your body sick on purpose in order to lose weight. In nature, it is only used if we get the flu or have food poisoning. It only goes so far before the body hunger signal kicks in and your body rebels. Yo yo dieting results.

There is a high carb diabetic diet out there that may be more align with the natural human diet. We are starchivores and have sugar receptors on out tongue, not protein receptors like true carnivores so ( dogs, cats, lions, etc.). Also, every cell in the human body runs on glucose so your carb reduction is causing imbalances which are showing up as headaches. I can't remember the name of the book but you could google the topic and the book and/or the doctor's name should come up.

:( Ketosis is not a state of illness. You use ketones every night while you sleep unless you are getting up every couple of hours to eat. I'm afraid you are misinformed on the topic of ketosis.

Starchivores? For diabetics? I can't see anything healthy about that.... And like us, dogs are not true carnivores like cats are.

Ketosis is what happens in starvation. Starvation causes weight loss. Extreme ketosis as in diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) is a life threatening condition.
  • nvmomketo

Sodium is the one you need to increase. Add a teaspoon of salt to water or just drink a clear slaty broth. It will help. Honest! There is no need to suffer. It's an electrolyte imbalance. Those in ketosis should not feel that way unless your nutrients and minerals are out of whack. No one would stick with ketosis if that was the way you were supposed to feel.

I guess that's why my husband who is diabetic and insulin resistant is faring better than I am. I feel as if I'm in a brain fog. I haven't lost any weight yet, either, but I'm also tracking, and I'm still eating the same number of calories, just distributed differently.

The LCHF diet may be suited better to him for weight loss. It would have nothing to do with the brain fog though. That is caused by low sodium. Have you increased your sodium / salt?

Ketosis is making your body sick on purpose in order to lose weight. In nature, it is only used if we get the flu or have food poisoning. It only goes so far before the body hunger signal kicks in and your body rebels. Yo yo dieting results.

There is a high carb diabetic diet out there that may be more align with the natural human diet. We are starchivores and have sugar receptors on out tongue, not protein receptors like true carnivores so ( dogs, cats, lions, etc.). Also, every cell in the human body runs on glucose so your carb reduction is causing imbalances which are showing up as headaches. I can't remember the name of the book but you could google the topic and the book and/or the doctor's name should come up.

:( Ketosis is not a state of illness. You use ketones every night while you sleep unless you are getting up every couple of hours to eat. I'm afraid you are misinformed on the topic of ketosis.

Starchivores? For diabetics? I can't see anything healthy about that.... And like us, dogs are not true carnivores like cats are.

Ketosis is what happens in starvation. Starvation causes weight loss. Extreme ketosis as in diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) is a life threatening condition.

Or...
    Ketosis is what happens when you don't have to worry about clearing the blood of excess glucose in order to stay healthy. Ketosis is what happens if you don't eat for a full night (albeit at low levels).

Diabetic Ketoacidosis (DKA) is a life threatening condition that occurs in type 1 diabetics when their glucose and ketones are excessively high because they are life threateningly low on insulin. It isn't a situation that people without type 1 diabetes need to worry about.

But yes, ketosis will occur during starvation, and thank goodness for that or you would be a goner much much faster... Fasting would be a horror rather than a tool for achieving better health.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member

@rosebette you like those of us who are living in nutritional ketosis will do just fine. As you can tell at your house it varies from person to person. Be careful about acting on advice from social media especially if they have never done what you and your husband is doing. My first six weeks I do not lose even 1 pound but I did lose some inches. Later I dropped from 250 to 200 and have been maintaining at 200 for the last year.

It was for joint and muscle pain relief that I tried living in a state of nutritional ketosis. Because it worked out well for me I keep doing. It fixed my IBS after six months and improved my health and health markers.

What will it do for you is unknown today. My first 90 days was a step learning curve. Thankful two weeks after I cut out sugar and all processed foods (grains) my carb cravings started to fade fast so my calories dropped automatically because my eating order resolved (never getting full on carbs) .

There is no absolute reason to do keto to lose weight. It is just one of many options. In my case I looked at is as 'fully reversible' barbaric surgery but without as much initial physical pain. It works for me. If it did not I would not be doing it 18 months later. Eating my macro is second nature and love being able to still eat all I want and have my life back at age 65.

Best of success to both you and your husband. Sometimes men find nutritional ketosis easier because we have a one track mind. :)

Check out Dr. Peter Attia the sample Google search below if interested or any of the other links. Tweak the search words to find studies, etc. I make my on decisions base on reading research mainly but I have a background in science and healthcare which helps some with the terminology.

https://google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=health+benefits+of+nutritional+ketosis

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member

@aimeesun213 that is factual but what we are talking about here is nutritional ketosis like I have been doing for the past 18 months. A person that is not making any insulin themselves any longer can develop DKA but those people should be under a doctor's care. Anyone should be under a doctor's care that comes to this website in my view but I may be biased.

Do you have first hand experience living in a state of nutritional ketosis?
  • aimeesun213
    aimeesun213 Posts: 10 Member
    Any weight loss is the result of ketosis. Any time calorie burn exceeds calorie intake, we are ketosing. I became very ill in a state of ketosis due to (undiagnosed) diabetes, suddenly lost 30 pounds without trying, then had a stroke. My situation is unique of course. I know weight loss and maintaining a normal weight is beneficial. I don't wish to argue. I am just concerned about extreme diets and disordered eating.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member

https://authoritynutrition.com/10-benefits-of-low-carb-ketogenic-diets/

For me, personally, here's a list I randomly typed up after being on a lower carb (not necessarily ketogenic) diet for 2-3 weeks.

Down 9 pounds
    Stomach not as bloated
    Digestive system not constantly cranky
    Wrists don't hurt
    Shoulders hurt much less
    Less constant ringing/itching in my ears
    More energy
    Muscles aren't aching
    Not freezing all the time (just part of the time)
    Depression/anxiety is lifting
    Cravings seem to be almost gone
    More energy
    Happier
    Any weight loss is the result of ketosis. Any time calorie burn exceeds calorie intake, we are ketosing. I became very ill in a state of ketosis due to (undiagnosed) diabetes, suddenly lost 30 pounds without trying, then had a stroke. My situation is unique of course. I know weight loss and maintaining a normal weight is beneficial. I don't wish to argue. I am just concerned about extreme diets and disordered eating.

Some of us would argue that the amount of carbs in the standard American diet constitutes an extreme diet and disordered eating. If you plan to do something considered an "extreme diet", including ketosis, make sure you're following the directions for the plan that you're on and find a group of people who've been there to answer questions. I've heard many people say they can't do low carb because they get the low carb flu, but they didn't realize that you need more salt on a low carb diet.
  • nvmomketo
    edited April 2016

I can see where DKA is on your mind since you went through it with LADA/T1D. I have been told that is a horrible experience. :(

Please rest assured that nutritional ketosis will not trigger DKA or cause the onset of T1D / LADA. In fact, a LCHF diet can make T1D management simpler because less insulin is required and BG spikes are much lower. It is not disordered eating, simply another way to balance one's macros (hopefully) within a healthy diet framework.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    I couldn't do a diet that gave me headaches, fatigue or other flu-like symptoms. Since I started eating high carb (60% and over), I haven't actually had one headache.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member

The kidneys dump and eliminate excess magnesium, potassium and sodium very effectively if they are functioning normally.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    So, I've been following Dr. Ludwig's Always Hungry diet with my spouse. It's a lower carb, but not no-carb diet. No grains or starchy vegetables, except for beans and legumes are allowed. I'm also allowed dairy and fruit, except for bananas and higher GI fruits. I've felt surprisingly full on the diet and actually have trouble finishing my evening meal. However, I now have a fairly acute headache that's lasted about a day and a half. Is this typical of a lower carb regimen?

You might benefit from extra sodium, especially if you're drinking a lot of water, and/or peeing a lot. I don't need the extra salt now that I've been on LC for months, but definitely needed it for at least a few weeks.