Counting Net carbs

Hi all.
So I am doing a Lower Carb High fat diet. I dont kown if I'd say keto, because I have been doing for just a few days and really want to just take a break from the grains and stuff. I am however trying to stay under 50g of carbs a day. I did a keto calculator and it put me at 25 ish g a day and with the intense workouts I do I didn't think I want to go that low. I added fiber to my nutrition thingy so I can see it. So If i go over my 50g of carbs to like 65 but have 30 g of fiber, then am I still below my carb macros for the day with net carbs?
TIA

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I'd say it depends on if you are going with net or total. Low carbers go with either one depending on your preference. I think tose going for super low carbs will go for total but net works too.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Have you found the Low Carb group yet? http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Low carb is typically considered anything below 100 - 150g per day. Typically, folks are able to stay in ketosis under 50g per day. I don't track net carbs, but lots of folks do- you simply subtract sugar alcohols and fiber from the total carbs.

Regarding intense workout, it's possible on super low carbs, as long as you're hitting your fat goals. I work out quite intensely, typically 4 - 5 days per week, and don't often exceed 20g of total carbs. Many days I'm sitting around 5-10g of total carbs, and do just fine energy wise!
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    If I were counting net carbs I would only subtract insoluble fiber, since it isn't digested, but there are different ways of approaching it. This article suggests:

"To calculate net carbs, first subtract all of the insoluble fiber (if listed) from the total carbs and total fiber. If more than 5 grams of total fiber remain, you can also subtract half of the remaining fiber from total carbs. Then look at the sugar alcohols. If there are more than 5 grams of sugar alcohols, subtract half that amount from the total carbohydrates. If erythritol is the only sugar alcohol listed, you may not subtract any sugar alcohols."

Sounds like too much work for me, and I don't use sugar alcohols, but, there ya go! That's one way of doing it, anyway.
    http://www.mnn.com/food/healthy-eating/stories/what-are-net-carbs-and-how-to-calculate-them
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Fiber is like beer - you don't buy it you rent it.... so net in my opinion is the correct figure to look at.

With regards to fat / carbs and your intense workout outs it is a matter of adaptation - keeping it in the 50 range (net or tot) is already low and is not really fuelling your workout - barely restocking your glycogen stores.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Since you're not really following a diet plan, does it really matter? If you're happy with how you've eaten at the end of the day, that's what matters.