Is anyone avoiding bread as part of their weight loss journey?

Replies

• jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    I'm not avoiding bread. Simply logging and working out has gotten me down 12lbs in 12weeks. I don't feel like I'm depriving myself of anything and I finally feel that this is just a new lifestyle that I can maintain indefinitely. When I want a burger, I have a burger. When I want a turkey croissant sandwich, I have one.
  • paulasymingtonmfp
    paulasymingtonmfp Posts: 38 Member
    Depends on how you feel giving carbs up . I went low carb for the first time last year and cannot believe how good I felt . I have always bloated after eating and for the first time I got rid of that feeling . It has also taught me how to listen to my body and what triggers my eating habits . I say if you are interested give it a go like me you might be pleasantly suprisied .
  • Rit1603
    Rit1603 Posts: 122 Member
    KateTii wrote: »
    Rit1603 wrote: »
    Yes , white bread and potatoes , lost all I wanted , -10 kg in almost 4 months , yay ! Some people can eat potatoes and bread , I was just getting fat !

What more amazing is that lots of people eat anything they want and in any quantity and never put on weight! I have one example in the family always same weight for decades eating whatever he feels and never put on a pound and no sport. So there's must be something mysterious in some of our bodies which wipes out all this calorie counting mess...maybe some unknown genetic formula? Of course I did not get that gift

The thing is with these "mythical eaters" is that you don't see what they eat when you're not around. People used to wonder the same about me- I would always have huge lunches at work. What they didn't know was that I rarely ate breakfast and dinner was always vegetables and lean protein. If we went to our christmas party at the all you can eat buffett, I ate like a pig. To my coworkers, it looked like I ate heaps- but they didn't see what I did the rest of the day, or the two weeks leading up where I "earnt" my christmas buffet.

I don't do the large lunches anymore as I prefer to bring my own and save money - I now snack more at night/after gym. People no longer question how I "stay so skinny" as the small portion of my day they see me eating, what they see me eating matches how I look.

well I lived and worked and socialized with this person so basically I never left his side. I can guarantee no mythical eater. His father was the same, his son same, his uncle same, his brother same. That is when I was convinced there was no myth.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Yes , white bread and potatoes , lost all I wanted , -10 kg in almost 4 months , yay ! Some people can eat potatoes and bread , I was just getting fat !

What more amazing is that lots of people eat anything they want and in any quantity and never put on weight! I have one example in the family always same weight for decades eating whatever he feels and never put on a pound and no sport. So there's must be something mysterious in some of our bodies which wipes out all this calorie counting mess...maybe some unknown genetic formula? Of course I did not get that gift

The thing is with these "mythical eaters" is that you don't see what they eat when you're not around. People used to wonder the same about me- I would always have huge lunches at work. What they didn't know was that I rarely ate breakfast and dinner was always vegetables and lean protein. If we went to our christmas party at the all you can eat buffett, I ate like a pig. To my coworkers, it looked like I ate heaps- but they didn't see what I did the rest of the day, or the two weeks leading up where I "earnt" my christmas buffet.

I don't do the large lunches anymore as I prefer to bring my own and save money - I now snack more at night/after gym. People no longer question how I "stay so skinny" as the small portion of my day they see me eating, what they see me eating matches how I look.

well I lived and worked and socialized with this person so basically I never left his side. I can guarantee no mythical eater. His father was the same, his son same, his uncle same, his brother same. That is when I was convinced there was no myth.

Wait, you're comparing yourself to a guy and what he eats (and his male relatives), to what you're eating as a female?? Guys have higher calorie ranges than girls do (my husband's maintenance calorie level is over 600 more calories than mine, not even factoring in the sports that he plays, which bumps that number up even more).

You cannot compare yourself to how other people eat because there's all sorts of factors that come into play like gender, age, height, medical conditions, activity levels etc etc etc.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member

It is a myth.
    https://examine.com/faq/does-metabolism-vary-between-two-people/
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    I'm another that achieved my weight loss goals and am successfully maintaining that 30 lb loss and never gave up bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, or any other food for that matter....
  • semheile
    semheile Posts: 2 Member
    edited April 2016
    I personally am replacing the bread and potatoes with more whole grains (and 'acient' grains": Quinoa , Farro, Multi-grain grain rice, brown rice, etc.

Because I am addicted to carbs, I do not bring simple carbs like bread, crackers, chips, etc, into my house.
    This has worked for me. I don't have them in the house and I don't binge on them.

I do plan them into my meal plan when I know I will be at a party so I can still enjoy.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    I eat bread basically every day... also rice/potato or pasta are part of almost every dinner I prepare. Pasta dishes are my favorite :D And yes, I'm loosing weight 1lbs a week steady! There is no evil food! But kitchen scale and portion control are the key to success! ;)

Just out of curiosity what is the qty you eat for pasta and bread you eat? Make an example. Thank you!

I had pasta last night at a restaurant-I got the chicken mushroom broccoli Alfredo bake (ziti pasta) in the light portion size (which is a menu item), and it was 400 calories. I also had two bread sticks for 300 calories. Meal total was 700 calories for a pasta/bread meal (drank diet coke with it). I also had a half a can of beer after we got home and then earlier in the day I ate a Subway bacon chicken salad (added my own Hidden Valley light ranch dressing-2 servings because these salads are huge!), with a serving of Baked Lays and then a serving of Greek yogurt for snack in the afternoon. My calorie grand total for the day was under 1,400.

Today I'm having 2 slices of Aunt Millie's Honey 7 Grain bread (100 calories per slice), with margarine/spices (will toast on griddle), to eat with my bowl of light veggie soup (2 servings of the soup is 120 calories). Meal total is 390 calories. With my large rice/veggies/chicken/sweet n sour stir fry that I'll have later my grand total for today is 790 calories, which means I'm still around 500 calories under my daily goal and will add some sort of snack to fill in the gap (or more beer tonight lol).

It's definitely doable to fit in bread, rice, pasta etc into your calorie allotment.
  • semheile
    semheile Posts: 2 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    semheile wrote: »
    I personally am replacing the bread and potatoes with more whole grains (and 'acient' grains": Quinoa , Farro, Multi-grain grain rice, brown rice, etc.

Because I am addicted to carbs, I do not bring simple carbs like bread, crackers, chips, etc, into my house.
    This has worked for me. I don't have them in the house and I don't binge on them.

I do plan them into my meal plan when I know I will be at a party so I can still enjoy.

your not addicted to carbs...

and I am not sure how replacing one carb with another carb is going to help this "addiction"

You must not understand food addition and compulsive eat :) I have lost 90 pounds by eating complex carbs vs. simple carbs.
    Thank you for your input.
  • WinoGelato
    ndj1979 wrote: »

your not addicted to carbs...

and I am not sure how replacing one carb with another carb is going to help this "addiction"

You must not understand food addition and compulsive eat :) I have lost 90 pounds by eating complex carbs vs. simple carbs.
    Thank you for your input.

Compulsive eating is definitely something that many people struggle with, however, there isn't a physiological addiction to carbs or else it wouldn't matter if you are eating simple or complex carbohydrates, your body would react the same way.

It is good that you have found something that works for you in order to help deal with your compulsive eating, but carbohydrates aren't addictive, nor is any other individual food substance.

• DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member

I'll also add to PP that some people fidget and move around a lot more than you may notice which can burn a few hundred extra calories a day. This doesn't mean they have a mysterious gift, just that they're burning more calories (higher CO in CICO).

Also, as PP noted, men naturally burn more calories. I just plugged my height/weight/age into a calculator and a man of my size/age would burn 150 more calories a day. Most men are taller than 5'4" (and weigh more than 130) though, so if I were to plug in an average male height of 5'10" and average weight of 195 (stats per Google) then that man gets 700 more calories than I do in a given day. They could easily put away an extra fast food meal* a day while still being under maintenance. If they also fidget then that's extra dessert.

* Sort of speculating here. I don't know how many calories a FF meal usually has but you get the gist.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    joepharaoh wrote: »
    I had a lot of allergies, which I thought were seasonal related. Dropped gluten for almost 1 year now and a lot of them have either gone or are manageable.

I work in the food industry supplying all the ingredients that go into food manufacturing. Most commercially baked goods contain a lot of preservatives to help with shelf life but aren't all that healthy in large volumes.

Gluten free breads have come a long way but contain higher amounts of sodium.

Boy do I miss a good sandwich though!
    Regarding the bolded, seriously, I tried to get into the 35 calorie bread but it kept spoiling on me! Switched to the 88 cent plain white bread and I'm so much happier. Actually, I need it to last longer because I don't eat it that much. I store it in the drawer underneath the range, which I suppose I initially did to not eat it all up so quickly (out of sight out of mind), so maybe it worked?

Put it in the freezer, well wrapped (all air removed). It will last as long as you need it to then.

I second this advice. Since I usually toast my sliced bread anyway I'll immediately put the loaf into the freezer and just pop a piece into the toaster as needed.

Wouldn't the slices stick together?

Sometimes they do. You just have to be very gentle when pulling them apart, there's an art to it :lol:

Yes! I tend to twist them gently to separate and I usually don't have an issue. If it's being stubborn I take from the other end.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    joepharaoh wrote: »
    I had a lot of allergies, which I thought were seasonal related. Dropped gluten for almost 1 year now and a lot of them have either gone or are manageable.

I work in the food industry supplying all the ingredients that go into food manufacturing. Most commercially baked goods contain a lot of preservatives to help with shelf life but aren't all that healthy in large volumes.

Gluten free breads have come a long way but contain higher amounts of sodium.

Boy do I miss a good sandwich though!
    Regarding the bolded, seriously, I tried to get into the 35 calorie bread but it kept spoiling on me! Switched to the 88 cent plain white bread and I'm so much happier. Actually, I need it to last longer because I don't eat it that much. I store it in the drawer underneath the range, which I suppose I initially did to not eat it all up so quickly (out of sight out of mind), so maybe it worked?

Put it in the freezer, well wrapped (all air removed). It will last as long as you need it to then.

I second this advice. Since I usually toast my sliced bread anyway I'll immediately put the loaf into the freezer and just pop a piece into the toaster as needed.

Wouldn't the slices stick together?

I pry them apart with a knife.
  • Rit1603
    Rit1603 Posts: 122 Member
    edited April 2016
    I eat bread basically every day... also rice/potato or pasta are part of almost every dinner I prepare. Pasta dishes are my favorite :D And yes, I'm loosing weight 1lbs a week steady! There is no evil food! But kitchen scale and portion control are the key to success! ;)

Just out of curiosity what is the qty you eat for pasta and bread you eat? Make an example. Thank you!

I had pasta last night at a restaurant-I got the chicken mushroom broccoli Alfredo bake (ziti pasta) in the light portion size (which is a menu item), and it was 400 calories. I also had two bread sticks for 300 calories. Meal total was 700 calories for a pasta/bread meal (drank diet coke with it). I also had a half a can of beer after we got home and then earlier in the day I ate a Subway bacon chicken salad (added my own Hidden Valley light ranch dressing-2 servings because these salads are huge!), with a serving of Baked Lays and then a serving of Greek yogurt for snack in the afternoon. My calorie grand total for the day was under 1,400.

So you got maybe 50 grams pasta? Because today I had
    100 g pasta dressed only with 140 g cherry tomatoes,8 grams extra virgin olive oil,
    Freshbasil

And this came out 456 calories .
  • Afuller71
    Afuller71 Posts: 8 Member
    I dont eat bread because I tend to want more. I avoid starchy carbs. I love sweet potatoes as and alternative and been trying the vegetable noodles and cous cous , i find these very filling.. reading the comments we all appear to do what we find works for us as individuals. I dont think starchy carbs are bad providing you not eating the white ones.
  • WinoGelato
    Afuller71 wrote: »
    I dont eat bread because I tend to want more. I avoid starchy carbs. I love sweet potatoes as and alternative and been trying the vegetable noodles and cous cous , i find these very filling.. reading the comments we all appear to do what we find works for us as individuals. I dont think starchy carbs are bad providing you not eating the white ones.

What's wrong with the white ones?
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    I stay away from bread and pasta, but that's only because of the high-calorie stuff I tend to put with them :smile: toast just isn't right without a butt-load of butter/peanut butter etc, and one slice just is not enough, and pasta needs a creamy carbonara or cheesy alfredo sauce (in my mind). I do have them occasionally, but on a day to day basis I steer clear.
  • xpanda70
    xpanda70 Posts: 20 Member
    I'm a vegan, and so my husband's homemade multigrain bread (with peanut butter) is a great source of protein for me. I usually have 2-4 slices per day (since starting MFP a month ago), and I've lost 8 pounds so far.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    edited April 2016
    I went out & bought 2 white and 2 sweet potatoes today after reading this post for 3 days :)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    amyepdx wrote: »
    I went out & bought 2 white and 2 sweet potatoes today after reading this post for 3 days :)
    I'd like to think I've recently been buying and eating the little red potatoes, and it's been all my idea, but potatoes have been getting some good press on MFP as of late!