WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Good luck to everyone racing today!!

Ran a 14 mile out and back route today that was uphill both ways.:smile:

4/1 - Rest
    4/2 - 14 miles

14/160 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS)
    4/23 - Race for Hope half marathon (North Kansas City, MO)
    5/1 - Buffalo Bell Stampede half marathon (Leavenworth, KS)
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)
    6/2 - Hospital Hill 5k 7pm PRE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    6/3 - Hospital Hill half marathon 7am RE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    9/25 - Broadway Bridge half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    10/15 - Kansas City Marathon 26.2 (Kansas City, MO)
    11/5 - Jenks half marathon (Jenks, OK)
    11/6 - Kansas half marathon (Lawrence, KS)
    11/12 - Longview half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    11/13 - Gobbler Grind half marathon (Overland Park, KS)
    11/19 - White River half marathon (Cotter, AR)
    11/20 - Pilgrim Pacer half marathon (Lenexa, KS)
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    edited April 2016
    4/1 - 5 miles on the bike around town, 3 mile walk, 45 min strength training (This is what I do when I can't run.)
    4/2 - 4.5 mile RUN! (no pain!)

I felt good this morning and couldn't stand waiting until Monday to run. I tried a 10 min warm up inside with light jogging and told myself I would stop and walk home if I had any pain whatsoever.

Well, whaddayaknow, I ran my fastest average pace of this year (for any distance)...9:06 per Garmin - 8:57 per Strava. I gotta get over the runny nose thing so I can run as fast as Strava says ;) I stopped once per mile to handle my nose and tissues. It was mid-40s and the only thing that stops my runny nose is temps above 65. But then my pace will be affected by heat. Haha.

@WhatMeRunning My run was also out & back uphill both ways. But more so on the back part. Rolling hills that take me down in a valley then rolling back up and out of there. But at least it's not a long uphill part.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    April Running Totals (miles)
    4/1 – scheduled rest day
    4/2 – 13.31 easy

April total to date – 13.31

Nominal Challenge Goal – 200 miles
    Real Goals: Taper well. Arrive at Hopkinton healthy. Run Boston well. Recover well.

Today's notes – The training plan for today said 4 miles downhill at MP -10 seconds, 6 miles rolling hills at MP, 3 miles uphill at MP +15 seconds. But Thursday Coach told me to just run 13 easy today. That meant I could pace for the local Fleet Feet program, which conveniently had a half marathon training distance of 13 miles today. Showed up willing to pace 8:00 or 8:30, as needed, and got handed the 8:30 sign. But the people who showed up were more geared toward the faster end. So I ended up running 13.31 miles in 1:44:32 for an average pace of 7:51 per mile. That's toward the fast end of my easy range, but okay for me. The girl who is also training for Boston can handle it. The other guy should have been running slower, but he's one of those people who likes to push himself; I let him push the pace a bit. If he hadn't been there we would have been closer to an 8:00 average. But we finished healthy and satisfied with the run, so it's all good.

That brings my training week in at 55.70 miles, compared to a target of 56 miles for this week. Close enough. Next two weeks, I'll be more focused on daily assignments than weekly mileage targets.

2016 races:
    January 1, 2016 Resolution Run 7.5 mile (Mendon, NY) finished in 53:58
    January 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) finished in 1:30:59
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 32:32
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY) finished in 1:05:24
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
    April 24, 2016 Flower City Challenge Half Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    July 16, 2016 Shoreline Half Marathon (Hilton, NY)
    September 18, 2016 Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)
  • ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    April Running Totals (km)
    4/1- Life
    4/2- 5.6 (5.6/60) Well today was interesting. I'm got crazy stuff I'm trying to work through (got contacted through Facebook last night by someone claiming they are possibly my half brother on my fathers side, never met anyone on my fathers side including my father so it threw me for a loop!) and it was crazy windy. So the mental part of running was helpful in letting me think things through. Physically it was difficult though because of the wind. Long sleeves were helpful in the wind but too warm when it wasn't blowing.
    4/3-
    4/4-
    4/5-
    4/6-
    4/7-
    4/8-
    4/9-
    4/10-
    4/11-
    4/12-
    4/13-
    4/14-
    4/15-
    4/16-
    4/17-
    4/18-
    4/19-
    4/20-
    4/21-
    4/22-
    4/23-
    4/24-
    4/25-
    4/26-
    4/27-
    4/28-
    4/29-
    4/30-

Races
    March 16- Shamrock Run (47:05)
    April 10th- Run For Home HM (Relay Team)
    May ?- TuscBDD 5k
    June 25th- Indian Mud Run
    August 13th- Insane Inflatable 5k
    August 20th- Warrior Dash
  • PaulW8910
    PaulW8910 Posts: 3 Member
    3 miles in the bag today! Up the milage from Monday!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited April 2016
    1---rest
    2---6.79

Really should have done 8+ today. But I didn't realize I could do 8 until I was back at the car, and there was a softball game (people+me=hide), and I bit the dust, compressed in concrete form, the last mile. Thankfully, my not quiet healed knee skirted the impact. Funny thing is, I thought about falling a mile or so earlier and how I'd have to make sure to roll if it happens again. I'm going to have to develop a contingency route if I need to add a few miles. The weather was ideal today.

I have developed a case of the rungries. I can't imagine the nutritional demand of marathon /ultra training. I wake up at 4 AM hungry and stay hungry until lunch. I think I'm not eating enough early in the day, before I run. So I'm going to work on that this week. Maybe 70+% of my calories by lunch instead of 40-50.

6.79/130 miles

Upcoming races:

04/24/16 OKC Memorial Half
    10/16/16 THAT dam half, Lewisville TX
    11/05/16 Jenks Half Jenks OK
    Run the year 2016  501.13/ 2016
  • Elise4270
    @ceckhardt369 wow! That's kinda cool about the half sibling. I have a half sister 18 years younger I've never meet by my father (Stephanie Price- just in case she reads this :wink: ). It be crazy to have a new found sibling.
  • Elise4270

I felt good this morning and couldn't stand waiting until Monday to run. I tried a 10 min warm up inside with light jogging and told myself I would stop and walk home if I had any pain whatsoever.

Well, whaddayaknow, I ran my fastest average pace of this year (for any distance)...9:06 per Garmin - 8:57 per Strava. I gotta get over the runny nose thing so I can run as fast as Strava says ;) I stopped once per mile to handle my nose and tissues. It was mid-40s and the only thing that stops my runny nose is temps above 65. But then my pace will be affected by heat. Haha.

Congratulations! That's super! Now it sounds like you need to perfect the snot rocket. :wink:
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    1---rest
    2---6.79

Really should have done 8+ today. But I didn't realize I could do 8 until I was back at the car, and there was a softball game (people+me=hide), and I bit the dust, compressed in concrete form, the last mile. Thankfully, my not quiet healed knee skirted the impact. Funny thing is, I thought about falling a mile or so earlier and how I'd have to make sure to roll if it happens again. I'm going to have to develop a contingency route if I need to add a few miles. The weather was ideal today.

I have developed a case of the rungries. I can't imagine the nutritional demand of marathon /ultra training. I wake up at 4 AM hungry and stay hungry until lunch. I think I'm not eating enough early in the day, before I run. So I'm going to work on that this week. Maybe 70+% of my calories by lunch instead of 40-50.

6.79/130 miles

Upcoming races:

04/24/16 OKC Memorial Half
    10/16/16 THAT dam half, Lewisville TX
    11/05/16 Jenks Half Jenks OK
    Run the year 2016  501.13/ 2016

Utrarunners are simple people. They see food, they eat food. All the time
  • MLS1582
    MLS1582 Posts: 71 Member
    April is off to a great start! The weather here has been awesome the last two days.
    4/1 - 2.2m
    4/2 - 6.2m (my first full 10k!)
    Total: 8.4/75

5/7 - Sgt. Larner Memorial 10k
    6/25 - Jackson River Scenic Trail 10k
    9/4 - VA Beach R&R Half Marathon
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    I'll update mileage later, but race report(s):
    * The Run2EndAlzheimer's was newly certified USATF (but I'm not sure that THIS particular run was certified, because they changed the route because of the torrential rains we've had the last couple days - avoiding the gators, I'm sure). There were a few folks running both the 5K and the 10.5K, but it looked like a pretty good crowd in the 10.5K, starting around 8:30. I'm a Baptist minister, so my ministerial count was about 850 runners, but it was probably more like 2 or 3 hundred. Weather was damp and a little chilly (which is perfect running weather, AFAIK). The course was not terribly hilly, and I managed a 10:37/mile average, which makes me happy.
    * The MilesForMiracles 5K didn't happen. Apparently it'd been cancelled a couple weeks ago, but Active.com never took it off, so when I signed up earlier this week, it went thru and confirmed and everything. Showed up, and the players (Mercer Women's Beach Volleyball) and their coach was embarrassed to say that it'd been cancelled. I said, "No big - the $$ are still going to the Miracle League, right?" So that was ... that.

Just meant that when I hit the Cherry Blossom Food Truck Frenzy downtown, I didn't have as much leeway as I'd hoped - running 6.6 miles, instead of 9.7ish. Still ate. Still had a good day.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    10 km this morning - 3.1 km Steep River Valley Hill climb - 1.9 Slow gradual uphill at the top of the valley.
    Turned and headed back for the bottom of the valley. This trail crosses the Railroad tracks twice and going out in the morning I could hear the South Bound train climbing out of the valley - never did see him. Going back the North bound train was heading down the hill into the valley and after making the last crossing of the tracks I looked back and could just see glimpses of the Train through the trees. a good run with 8 different members of our local club. All different speeds and abilities so we would leave at different times based on our distance and speed so that we would all meet up at about the same time at the end of the day. Mid distance run today- need to get 2 more 20km runs in before the April 11 then Taper for the Jasper HM April 16. HM in a mountain park can you say uphill - downhill and repeat.

04/01 – 0.0 Km – 0.0 - 140 km
    04/02 – 10. Km – 10 km- 130 km – YTD 400.8 km

exercise.png
    I have developed a case of the rungries. I can't imagine the nutritional demand of marathon /ultra training.
    @Elise4270 Rungries - I agree some days it just feels like you could empty the fridge and pantry into a stew pot for a small snack.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    I feel like I cheated this morning....There was a downhill with a tailwind the last mile or so, so I feel like I didn't run as hard as my GPS and HRM said I did...It's funny feeling like I ran all down hill when I did a lollipop loop (6 mile out and back with a 3 mile loop loop at the second half) and I know that for all the downhill, I had to do up hill and know I had to have vertical gain for all the vertical loss..... Random thought on this mornings run
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Ok, so here's a pretty funny story about my day.

At about 11 o'clock this morning, when walking to the shops with my boyfriend, I started to feel a bit of pain on my shin bone, about 2 inches below where my pain used to be when I had bad shin splits last year. As the day went on, the pain got worse and worse and I was nearly in tears at one point with both pain and worry. I was thinking about my half marathon tomorrow and getting so upset that after months of training so carefully to avoid injury that it had happened anyway. I actually made my boyfriend cut our day shopping short so I could go home to ice and rest my leg. When we got back, I popped an ice pack straight on my leg over the top of my jeans, rather than wrapping the ice pack up to avoid an ice burn, therefore not actually looking for any mark or bruising or anything.

Anyway, I've just had a bath and, upon inspecting my shin, it turns out it was just a very painful ingrown hair that has started to become a bit infected :lol: I don't think anyone has ever cried with joy over an ingrown hair! It's literally just that spot that hurts, nothing else!

I hope you guys find that funny. My boyfriend did not, I'm in the doghouse for ruining our Saturday, haha :')
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Taking the weekend off of running to rest sore legs. Snowboarding at Snowbird UT on Sunday though. 7 days till 25k !

4/1 - Easy 10.1mi @ 8:25/mi
    4/2 - rest.

April total - 10.1/153mi

@louubelle16 Good to hear it's nothing serious!! Pretty funny too! I would be throwing a party I'd be so happy after thinking it was a bone. lol
  • Elise4270

Utrarunners are simple people. They see food, they eat food. All the time

Haha! I don't doubt it!
  • Elise4270
    edited April 2016
    @louubelle16 too funny!

@juliet3455 That sounds so good! LOL! I'm patiently waiting for DH to get back from OKC with bagles and shmear with lox... I plan on eating so many of them.

@MNLittleFinn Down hill with a tail wind is when I open it up! Be careful not to fall through.
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    4/01: Off, rest day
    4/02: 12 miles, long and easy
    Total: 12.02 miles

Overview:
    Today’s long run was pretty miserable, probably one of my most miserable runs ever -_- We had 30+ mph winds and intermittent hard snowfall. Except the snow was actually like little daggers of ice that stung pretty hard when it hit. At least the 6 miles with the wind at my back weren’t too bad!

In other news, I signed up for 3 races while I was at the Shamrock Shuffle expo. Also, I saw Alexi Pappas this morning!!! Literally almost ran into her as I walked around a corner on my way out of the expo. The crazy thing is that of the 100+ people in the immediate vicinity, I seemed to be the only one who even recognized/knew who she was o.0 Of course I was much too nervous to ask for a picture *sigh* maybe next year!! But it did help me feel much more motivated to go for my long run.

exercise.png

Races I'm registered for:
    04/03 - Shamrock Shuffle (8K)
    04/09 - Chi Town Half Marathon
    04/24 - Ravenswood Run (5K)
    05/22 - Chicago Spring 13.1
    05/28 - Soldier Field Run (10 miles)
    09/10 - Magnificent Mile Half Marathon
    09/25 - Chicago Lifetime 5K
    10/09 - Chicago Marathon
    10/30 - Hot Chocolate 5K
    11/27 - Space Coast Half Marathon
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    @9voice9 That sucks that Active.com didn't know the race was cancelled! But at least the money is going to a good cause.

@louubelle16 That's funny! And what a relief that it was a hair and not anything serious! Good luck at your HM tomorrow!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited April 2016
    So there is a race at the end of the month up to Frankenstein's Castle (the real one) - thinking of signing up for it - it's 16 km, right on schedule with my end of month run. It's a sign!
    OMG - You MUST do this!! That is just too cool!

It's 10 miles with 1100 ft of climbing. Ouch. Not sure I'm ready for it. So I went out today to take a look. Damn, that is one steep hike.

View from castle:
    hv6moszi6wgc.jpeg