Anyone else here hate counting every single calorie?

I counted calories initially which I think is great for educational purposes. I just count macros now and focus on food quality. Better adherence, lost 33 pounds so far (220-187) and much more manageable. Anyone else feel the same?

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    I hate counting calories, but I know myself well enough that I will have to keep counting unless I want to weigh 300+ pounds again.

If counting macros works for you, awesome. Keep it up.
  • ThunderZtorm
    ThunderZtorm Posts: 27 Member
    I've always used MFP as a rough guideline. I don't weigh everything exactly etc.

Like, at work, I usually grab a mix of salads, some corn, cucumber, peppers, peas, beans etc, whatever's there on the day in the canteen. I tend to just write that down as 150-200g "mixed greens". I get a rough estimate which is close enough for my purposes.
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    That's part of why it works for me. I don't want to make another entry so I change my mind about eating things.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    No, counting calories is easier because there's no guesswork involved. Guesswork for me leads to failure. Just like when I drive, if I have to guess which way to turn, I always guess wrong and get lost. lol
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    I maintained my 50+ pound loss for over two years without counting and things were going well. However, the further away I got from the weight loss phase the easier it was to lose focus. I've learned my lesson and have started tracking again, and will do so for the rest of my life, which will probably be 40+ years.

It kind of sucks, but being overweight and a T2 sucks way more (when I was at my highest weight I was flirting with prediabetes). Most people fail at keeping the weight off long term, I will be one of the few who do succeed at this. Tracking/counting goes a long way towards making that happen (for me).
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I think calorie counting is pretty easy and don't mind doing it. I do think that people should learn to estimate/eyeball serving sizes though.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    Yes, I don’t like weighting, counting and logging; that is why I take breaks quite often. I don’t log much or not at all when I am on vacation, and sometimes I just don’t log during the weekends or holidays or if I am eating out (unless I had access to the nutritional information). If I don’t take counting and logging breaks I would go insane. I even canceled my account a couple of years ago and I did good on my own.

I am not a big eater, don’t care for sweets, and I don’t binge or have cravings so all of that works in my advantage. I have been maintaining for over five and half years, so it is working for me. But I do keep an eye on portion control and on the type of foods that I like to eat.

I know that I am not the only one because many people in MFP are not longer logging consistently anymore.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited April 2016
    Sometimes it seems like a fun game, and sometimes it seems like a huge pain. So yes, sometimes I hate it.

But it is vaguely satisfying to know exactly how many calories you're eating. Knowledge is power, as they say. Or some people do, I think.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited April 2016
    I hate it, but it keeps me honest during periods of weight loss.
  • BoomstickChik
    BoomstickChik Posts: 149 Member
    Nah, because I've lost 50 lbs doing this. It's tedious to weigh and measure every little thing, but clearly, it's paying off.
  • MynameisChester
    MynameisChester Posts: 107 Member
    I maintained my 50+ pound loss for over two years without counting and things were going well. However, the further away I got from the weight loss phase the easier it was to lose focus. I've learned my lesson and have started tracking again, and will do so for the rest of my life, which will probably be 40+ years.

It kind of sucks, but being overweight and a T2 sucks way more (when I was at my highest weight I was flirting with prediabetes). Most people fail at keeping the weight off long term, I will be one of the few who do succeed at this. Tracking/counting goes along way towards making that happen (for me).

I have no doubt you will succeed. You've done it before and you could do it again! If I may ask though, what factors caused you to lose focus in the first place?
  • jenfitnessmama
    jenfitnessmama Posts: 138 Member
    Oh, I absolutely hate it! But, I know if I don't then I over eat and end up gaining, so even though I hate doing it, it works for me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Better than the alternative.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    I don't hate it. I need it. Can't eyeball things and right now I'm not very active. That's awesome you don't need to count calories.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    You just need to adult up and log them calories. Or else... It's like brushing your teeth. Who actually enjoys doing it? And yet we all do it.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I don't find it to be a big deal. Better than being fat. And because of technology it really is super easy. Had I been trying to do it 20 years ago i might find it a lot more tedious. I wouldn't find tracking macros easier, actually harder but different strokes.
  • MynameisChester
    I'm seeing the trend that it's either count calories or get fat. Part of also what I do is just make sure my pantry is stocked with whole food. Sure I may indulge in some processed foods once in a while but I don't keep it in my home too often. I'd say my fridge and pantry is stocked with like 85% whole nutrient dense foods, and 15% processed food (Doritos and chocolate sometimes as I enjoy these every one in a while). Anyone else consider this method instead?
  • MynameisChester
    ^^

edit*pantry and fridge stocked with whole food
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    OMG, yes: Ihateitihateitihateit! BUT nothing else works for me. I'm 62 and have tried every trick in the book to eat intuitively or eat only certain foods or ... But if I keep track and don't eat more calories than I need, I lose fat. Otherwise I blow up like a fat balloon.
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    edited April 2016
    I hear you, that's why I'm also going the route of being more focused on macros and the quality of the food I'm eating (avoiding refined carbs and highly processed foods, eating more quality meats and vegetables, etc), because counting calories does get quite tiresome. Calories count, but not everyone has to count calories. Before all this processed garbage, people didn't count calories, and obesity was rare. Intuitive eating seems like the easiest way to live, but, different things work for different people. Now that you can just use a phone app, some people find it easy to do, whereas I still think it's a pain, but that's just me. Keeping carbs down is pretty easy, because you just don't eat food that's high in carbs.