WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2016

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,431 Member
    nb1959 wrote: »
    I made it!!! I logged every swallow and came in slightly under the calorie goal. Husband is sitting beside me eating his chips and drinking his pepsi. I am too happy with the feeling of success to feel tempted. (HA! That won't last, but it feels good now.)

KEEP IT UP GIRLFRIEND!!!
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    edited April 2016
    exermom wrote: »
    Larisa - how DARE MFP not know how many calories are in pushing a 75lb garden arbor. Well, in their defense, I don't even know what a garden arbor IS.
    Heee! It might be a regional term, out here. This one is a 7-foot tall iron archway, that I'm going to grow squash up the sides. It will be glorious. :wink:

Larisa
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,618 Member
    WARNING: This contains a naughty word, but I just got sent it and was ROTFLMHO

Senior Trying To Set A Password

WINDOWS: Please enter your new password.

USER: cabbage

WINDOWS: Sorry, the password must be more than 8 characters.

USER: boiled cabbage

WINDOWS: Sorry, the password must contain 1 numerical character.

USER: 1 boiled cabbage

WINDOWS: Sorry, the password cannot have blank spaces.

USER: 50fuckingboiledcabbages

WINDOWS: Sorry, the password must contain at least one upper case character.

USER: 50FUCKINGboiledcabbages

WINDOWS: Sorry, the password cannot use more than one upper case character consecutively.

USER: 50FuckingBoiledCabbagesShovedUpYourAssIfYouDon'tGiveMeAccessNow!

WINDOWS: Sorry, the password cannot contain punctuation.

USER:ReallyPissedOff50FuckingBoiledCabbagesShovedUpYourAssIfYouDontGiveMeAccessNow

WINDOWS: Sorry, that password is already in use.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,938 Member
    Beth, congrats on the son's audition.

I met my friend Cathy at the gym, got in my steps and did a leg workout since I missed butt day yesterday. I went to Lane Bryant afterward with full intentions to bite the bullet and buy a new sports bra if they had one to fit, but they didn't have the black and gray one I wanted. I did at least try a couple of sizes on so I believe I know what size I need. The Glamorise ones I have are getting too big and don't provide enough support when we bounce around. They are great for walking and weight lifting, but not for bouncing. I want to go to the Soma outlet and see what they have before I commit. A good bra in my size is not cheap. I bought a $20 one at Target in an XXL that almost works, but it is a little bit too big around and the cups are a little too small. It's going to have to do for now, though.

• MightyLolo
    edited April 2016

Ten lbs is a lot heavier than I thought it would be. I’m glad that I am starting off slower and with lighter kettlebell; and, then I can move up.
    Yes, take your time. :smile: It's one of those exercises where nailing the form is actually more important to your progress than using a heavy weight. And just wait until your back is really strong; it's a great feeling :smiley:

Larisa
  • MightyLolo
    GodMomKim :lol: My password for an undisclosed website is AreYouK1ddingMe% and that is literally why.
  • Bibia2418
    Bibia2418 Posts: 80 Member
    I'm new here, starting in late March. Since I joined, I met my goal to start walking and doing at least 10000 steps daily. I made that goal. I have lowered my blood sugar. Drinking my water. Logging everything. Leaving sodas alone. I lost 12.75 lbs.
    My April started out with my husband having surgery and being non weight bearing for 12 weeks. He's in a wheelchair and uses a walker and hops around the house. I will be doing all the errands that he usually does, driving him to and from work, getting him into work via wheelchair. This will be my strength training for awhile, lifting the wheelchair out of the car and putting it back in. Pushing my husband in the wheelchair. Last time this happened, I got very strong and lost 10 lbs. When he is more able to do things, I will be going to the gym and doing circuit training. Making changes is difficult, not always fun but so worth it!!
  • pipcd34
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    WARNING: This contains a naughty word, but I just got sent it and was ROTFLMHO

Senior Trying To Set A Password

WINDOWS: Please enter your new password.

USER: cabbage

WINDOWS: Sorry, the password must be more than 8 characters.

USER: boiled cabbage

WINDOWS: Sorry, the password must contain 1 numerical character.

USER: 1 boiled cabbage

WINDOWS: Sorry, the password cannot have blank spaces.

USER: 50fuckingboiledcabbages

WINDOWS: Sorry, the password must contain at least one upper case character.

USER: 50FUCKINGboiledcabbages

WINDOWS: Sorry, the password cannot use more than one upper case character consecutively.

USER: 50FuckingBoiledCabbagesShovedUpYourAssIfYouDon'tGiveMeAccessNow!

WINDOWS: Sorry, the password cannot contain punctuation.

USER:ReallyPissedOff50FuckingBoiledCabbagesShovedUpYourAssIfYouDontGiveMeAccessNow

WINDOWS: Sorry, that password is already in use.

Yup that's me alright but with stronger language
  • MightyLolo
    pipcd34, you run with weights on your ankles? That is impressive!
  • TheRealMsWolf
    TheRealMsWolf Posts: 100 Member
    Completed today's reps for the squat circuit challenge. It is easy right now, but I know it'll be harder in the next couple of week.

Kristan
  • pipcd34
    MightyLolo wrote: »
    pipcd34, you run with weights on your ankles? That is impressive!

Thanks., it's not as hard as it sounds. first time this year doing that. doing another marathon in november so i gotta start running longer distances again. this is a test, try something new. this time i did 5 mi with and last 3 without. we'll see how it works out.

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    nb1959: Congrats on meeting your goal! WTG!!! :smiley:

Larissa: The garden arbor sounds lovely. I imagine it covered in growing plants and it seems like a very fine thing. :flowerforyou:

Kim: I loved "Senior Trying to Set a Password." Thank you: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Bibbia2418: I absolutely agree that making changes is difficult but worthwhile. I hope we'll see your posts often. :smiley:

It is only 7:45 pm & DH has taken himself up to bed. I'm not ready to settle in yet & I sure hope I can find something to watch on TV because I don't really have enough energy to do anything else at the moment.
    Today was a fun day. I had a riding lesson that I've already told you about, and did some grocery shopping. We grilled baby back ribs and ate dinner on the deck. It was chilly enough that we didn't linger, but what a treat to eat outside this early in the year!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    nb1959 wrote: »
    I made it!!! I logged every swallow and came in slightly under the calorie goal. Husband is sitting beside me eating his chips and drinking his pepsi. I am too happy with the feeling of success to feel tempted. (HA! That won't last, but it feels good now.)

Way to go. Its awesome to have that good feeling at the end of the day. Keep it up.

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    edited April 2016
    Michele wrote - "janetr - thank you for answering Joyce's question on here. I didn't even know that there were different types of Baptists. Then again, I'm Catholic so I don't know much about Baptists."

You will see that later DrKatieBug gave us a much more knowledgeable explanation than I was able to give. But you are welcome :) Can you explain what is involved when you lector at your church? I'm not familiar with that term.

Janetr OKC
  • KalliZiegler
    KalliZiegler Posts: 6 Member
    One of my problems is accurately measuring portion control. I ordered the little containers off Amazon to track the portion sizes and I ordered a new copy of my favorite workout DVD (the old one died). Ready to push out the door 5 days a week for a few miles of wogging and hope to get a little core work done two times a week. It is time to wear out a new pair of running shoes. Spring is here. I plan on keeping current with recording foods and tracking nutrician.
  • janetr7476
    Completed today's reps for the squat circuit challenge. It is easy right now, but I know it'll be harder in the next couple of week.

Kristan

I went and looked at the challenge when you posted it. After reading it I weenied out :( I'm pretty sure I could not do that in a month having had both knees replaced in the last year. I'm very impressed with your commitment.

Janetr OKC
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    edited April 2016

Lilllian in WCS – I ‘face-planted’ myself (like Taylor Swift, only on my side). My wrist got caught by the belt and it rubbed off the top layer of skin on it (on the inside). I’m sure that with the wrist bandage I was wearing – people were trying to ‘guess’ what caused it. Had to keep it bandaged, so it would not scar – Neosporin and gauze around my wrist for 2 weeks. Changing it daily. On my right wrist, so it was a little difficult to bandage left-handed.

Lenora

See Lenora !!! those treadmills are dangerous .... lol!!
  • pipcd34
    Taylor swift didn't face plant on the treadmill, that was a stunt double.
    Nite peeps
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited April 2016
    Beth – And Mama was so worried … you worried enough for the both of you (probably). I think sometimes we mothers make our sons (and maybe daughters – don’t have any myself) more nervous if we do attend their try-outs for things. I’m glad he got such praise and I know y’all will get an acceptance letter soon and hopefully (prayerfully) a scholarship as well. I’m now sucking down 4 cups of water because I put in my diary that I drank it, so now, right before bedtime … I’m doing it. I might find that I will regret it; but, trying to ‘up’ my actually ‘water’ intake (and not counting my coffee so much as water; although I do count it, too).

Measuring food – I use both cups and weight scale. I try not to eyeball things; because like they say, ‘your eyes are too big for your stomach’. When we go out to eat (every time, anywhere), I order what I want and then cut it in ½ before anything and push it off to one side; and, then get a ‘doggie bag/box’ and bring it home for lunch the next day or maybe for supper the night after, if DH has brought home part of his.

At least, once every week or 10 days, I stop by Olive Garden and get one of their salads (to go). With one container of dressing … it is only 140 calories and very filling (for me). I’ve also been told to make sure I change up what I eat each day because if you eat the same thing at every meal, every day … you’ll probably hit a plateau in the process; and, changing up will generally ‘kick you off it’. But, make sure it is ‘good for you’ and not junk food.

Larisa – I’m on a very low ‘caloric intake’, MD ordered and approved diet and for me to ‘lose’ weight, I had to get under the number of calories that women are ‘supposed’ to have; because those numbers are generally to ‘maintain’ their weight, so that can be somewhat deceiving. Others might disagree with me; but, my DGD who is attempting to lose weight counts ‘macros’ … but, then turns around and says that she is eating 1500 calories a day. That seems excessive, even for a relatively active 20-year-old who is only 5' 1/2" tall. I’m sure the more you exercise the more calories you can eat; but, I don’t ‘eat back my calories earned by exercising’. I count exactly what I eat and drink; and, what I drink is water and coffee (which is counted as ‘water’ … no calories other than the sugar I put in it; and, I am trying to cut down on that, too).

I really don’t think that any of us are ‘keeping tabs’ on one another to the extent that we would ‘chastise’ someone for ‘not eating enough’. Each of us are on different diet plans and/or life-style changes for losing, maintaining, or even some are trying to ‘gain’ weight. What works for one person does not necessarily work for another. Just keep being honest with YOURSELF by tracking everything you eat and/or drink, that’s all. There are times that I ‘like’ seeing that message; because I track ahead. I post what I ‘think’ I might eat for the day; and, then ‘adjust’ to what I actually eat and drink at night. It helps push me for drinking more water (and walking longer). It helps me to know when that ‘apple’ that sounds so good will keep me under or push me over my daily caloric intake. It might make me exercise more, as well, because I still have in the back of my mind that ‘more exercise’ means that I don’t kick myself in the @$$ for going over as much. If it is becoming a habit and I am stuck … I need to go back and see what needs to possibly be changed up a little.

Michelle in NC – I always came home to the maid; she was like a 2nd Mama to me. My Mother was extremely picky when she hired “The Help”. She expected a lot out of them; and, I can still remember the day my mother drove her ‘home’ for the first time. She raised 5 sons, widowed, and all of them graduated from college. I never saw color and I try not to do so now. I try to judge character by the actions (hopefully GOOD ones). I steer clear of people in my life that are stressors for me. It goes against what is healthy for me. Even ‘if’ that person is a family member. I was home with my boys before they started school; then, I went to work, putting them in daycare. I’m every tuned in to my sons’ actions and when they started ‘acting out’ I started looking into what was happening. I took off a week to find a new daycare center; my sister kept them for me. Changed where they stayed during the day. A week later the State came in and ‘closed their previous daycare center’ and the man running it was ‘arrested’ for molestation (of his own niece). My oldest son was pretty sensitive and caring; and, I noticed that once we got there, one of the little girls would literally attach herself to him. Then my DYS, who was and is very assertive, started whining. I dropped in one day, totally unexpected and unannounced to find him telling my son to rough up another kid in class. They never went back. Nothing ever happened to them insofar as molestation – but using my son as a bully did not ‘cut it either’. SOB went to jail … his sister, who owned another daycare center ended up having to close because people were afraid that she’d hire her brother. The building has such a bad memory in people’s mind that no daycare center that has ever opened there since then has ever stayed ‘in business’.

Kim – I’m RITFLMAO … Been there, done that (with FB) and also when my DDnL#1 ‘finally’ gave me pictures of my DGD’s … she had named it something very derogatory to me; so I changed the name of it, and, thought – whoops, she might decide to change the pictures on the thumb drive for me and will see it. Oh well! Flipping frame still has ‘old’ pictures of my DGDs on it. She can post things to FB several times daily; but, is ‘too busy’ to provide pictures to me of them. When I first tried getting on FB, after being blocked (because someone had hacked my account) … my password was just about the same thing. I hate to have to make up a ‘new’ creative password for things. Have to store them, in a book that is hidden well, so I can go back and remember which one goes to which application. Seriously funny!

drkatiebug – I always get measured for bras (at Dillard’s) unfortunately the lady that did it is no longer there; and, the one that still is … can’t do it as well as she did. She was sent to school to learn how to do so. Bras aren’t cheap, to get a ‘good’ one. When I do ‘bite the bullet’; I buy 3 or 4 at a time; usually a black one, a white one, and 1 or 2 nude ones. Right now, nothing I have really fits; worn out … have not lost enough weight in that particular area (yet) to warrant going to buy any. Usually, when I find a good fitting bra, they get ‘discontinued’. I think bras are invented and designed by men … who have no boobs. Of course, men think that ‘jockey straps’ were invented and designed by women. I think it is ‘pay back’.

Larisa (again) – I’m going to take it slow and easy. My back has always hurt. I’m very sway-backed; and, my mother used to ‘nag’ me to hold my shoulders up. I was doing the best I could under the circumstances. As an adult, after having a bad wreck; I got placed in a body cast which I wore for several months. Hot as Hell and I hated it. I think I was really too tired the day it got made for me; and, my husband started noticing that I was favoring one side (scoliosis-like posture). OrthoMD took me out of it almost immediately. Then I went to PT to help straighten my shoulders side-to-side. I can lay in the bed; and put both hands on top on one another and not touch the small of my back. Sleeping with a C-pap machine forces me to sleep on my back most of the night. Getting a GOOD pillow really helped. I was so used to sleeping on one side (usually my right). Bone Density tests have been ‘good’. My middle sister really has bad back problems.

Pip – You must have the mind of a ‘drunken sailor’ if your language would have been stronger. LOL! But, I can also 'cuss' like a 'drunken sailor' ... No, Becca, I am not being prejudice against sailors ... only a 'saying'. I can put together more 4- letter words together than the next person. And, to think I would make my sons suck a piece of soap 'if' they did it. I remember one day, sucking on a piece of soap ... I needed to also be 'punished'. Set by example. When one of my sons said, 'Oooooh, Mom said a bad word'; I felt compelled to take the same medicine I was dealing out. Wooooo Hooooo ... worked. Even brushing my teeth, tongue, gums, inside and outside my teeth did not take that taste away for several hours.

I’ve also been told that ‘walking/running’ with weights on your ankles is not really good for you; but, maybe things have changed. I always thought they were to be used for stationary exercise.

Lenora
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    On cell phone at son's place. Yesterday a little neighbor girl knocked on the door and wanted to play with the grandkids. They told her they were busy because gramma and grampa were here. Brief pause, then Leo asked: "Do you want to come in and hug them?"
    :heart:
    /Penny not at the pole just now