Everything in moderation

auntstephie321
auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
Apparently that saying means more than half your caloric intake from carbs? Sometimes even more. That doesn't sound to me like a moderate amount if I'm getting more than half my intake from it.

It's also commonly said to fit things like cookies and wine, but I never hear it used to include fats or even protein for that matter. The fact that people tend to respond with that tells me they know it's not doing good for their body, if it were why would they need to justify it?

Have you ever measured or a tablespoon of butter? Lol, silly question, I know you have. Have you ever done it in front of an everything in moderation follower and see the look of shock on their face as you put it in your coffee or eggs or whatever you put it in. Butter isn't given the same everything in moderation respect as chocolate chip cookies are. I guess so many still have that fear of fat they've been taught to believe their whole lives. So they much rather would like to justify three cookies that meet their macros than justify an actual serving of butter.

Replies

• Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    "So, here's your radioactive uranium/digitalis/poisonous mushrooms...what, you said EVERYTHING in moderation. What do you consider to be a moderate amount of poison/radioactivity?"

I think it's also dependent on personality. Gretchen Rubin talks about moderators, the people who can eat a square of chocolate a day, and abstainers, the people who will eat ALL the chocolate if they have one piece.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Good points @auntstephie321. We know that statement has no medical validity. Everything and Nothing are seldom words that we should be using. :)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Yes. I've been bantering with people who sound rather serious about arguing that a Snickers bar is a healthy choice of snack, because it contains protein, fat and carbs..... even for people who can healthily consume carbs, do people really believe that a few peanuts makes a bunch of sugar into a healthy food?
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    If I could follow that saying, I wouldn't have gotten fat
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    lithezebra wrote: »
    Yes. I've been bantering with people who sound rather serious about arguing that a Snickers bar is a healthy choice of snack, because it contains protein, fat and carbs..... even for people who can healthily consume carbs, do people really believe that a few peanuts makes a bunch of sugar into a healthy food?

I honestly think they do. Most of them have no real knowledge in nutrition, only what beach body teaches them. It explains why they've tried every single way of eating on the planet and are still struggling with it. Everything in moderation appears to be the new cabbage soup diet. All I see is statements like "if I tell myself I can't have something I'll crave it till I binge on it" ?????? It's still a skewed way of looking at food, it's really just fuel for your body. Yes it tastes good, it has to or we wouldn't want to eat it. There's a difference between fueling your body the best eat possible and allowing occasional indulgences, and eating everything you want in small amounts all the time.

When you have someone who is not a nutritionist preaching to others that they can drink wine eat ice cream and cookies every day if they want and still lose weight, it's not addressing that specific individuals needs. It's as if we all have the same body and react the same way which is untrue. And who that over weight doesn't think that diet sounds amazing, until they try it and struggle and struggle and give up because they can't just have one scoop of ice cream, since they haven't actually assessed their relationship with food.

And I say this as someone who allows more indulgences than most on here. But I could never do half my intake daily from it and still feel good.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Yeah, I always find it funny that people who discuss moderation and a healthy balanced diet are using the one macro that has no minimum essential intake as the anchor to their balanced diet.

I think until the governments get on board with reducing carb inatke (the highly processed and sugar added foods foremost) the average person is not going to accept that fat is fine and (refined) carbs could be the problem (at least for some).

I've had people start saying to me, "You look healthier and have lost weight, but when are you gooing back to a normal diet?" I know they mean baked goods and grains mostly - I am not getting my 5-7 servings per day. LOL
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Good points @auntstephie321. We know that statement has no medical validity. Everything and Nothing are seldom words that we should be using. :)

Well put! You're seldom wrong.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Yeah, I always find it funny that people who discuss moderation and a healthy balanced diet are using the one macro that has no minimum essential intake as the anchor to their balanced diet.

I think until the governments get on board with reducing carb inatke (the highly processed and sugar added foods foremost) the average person is not going to accept that fat is fine and (refined) carbs could be the problem (at least for some).

I've had people start saying to me, "You look healthier and have lost weight, but when are you gooing back to a normal diet?" I know they mean baked goods and grains mostly - I am not getting my 5-7 servings per day. LOL

I have people tell me, frequently, "I bet that you can eat anything you want," which is completely untrue. I'm hypothyroid, and gain weight easily. Then they think I have an ED when I don't want bread. And I had an ED years ago, so that bothers me. Except doctors. Doctors know I'm not eating everything I want. With obesity as prevalent as it is, I don't know why people think there's something wrong with being creative and pragmatic about keeping your own weight under control, even using extreme measures like not eating excessive, low-nutrient carbs, and exercising every day.

• RalfLott
    edited April 2016
    My optometrist pulled that battle-scarred cliché on me when advising how diabetics should eat, topping off the baloney sundae with the obscene:
    Go for whole grains and low-fat dairy, when you can.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited April 2016
    I suppose anyone can FORCE an everything in moderation plan and be successful maintaining a good weight for them, but it will always always be a job that must be worked. You simply can't trust hunger signals when high insulin is a factor in sending them. They will never know the freedom of eating to live rather than living to eat. And they will never know that eating to live does not mean you eat gross, unsatisfying food. Everyone has the opportunity to experiment and try new things and be open minded, but many can't fathom a life without cake and ice cream. Not even on a short term, test out this woe for a month plan. If they were to ever give it a whole hearted effort, they'd have to admit they were wrong.
    If someone utters the words "I can't live without my carbs" or "I don't want to live a life where I never eat cookies again", they have a problem they are blind to.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Twibbly wrote: »
    "So, here's your radioactive uranium/digitalis/poisonous mushrooms...what, you said EVERYTHING in moderation. What do you consider to be a moderate amount of poison/radioactivity?"

I think it's also dependent on personality. Gretchen Rubin talks about moderators, the people who can eat a square of chocolate a day, and abstainers, the people who will eat ALL the chocolate if they have one piece.

I would definitely fall under the abstainer category. I quit smoking 15 years ago, cold turkey, never touched another one again, and that was after 10 years of smoking. I used to wish that I could quit eating because quitting was so easy for me, I quit my pain killers, which I was addicted to, I quit my sleeping pills, also an addiction, all with no problem. Food though, totally different.

That's why this works for me, I quit grains, I've quit non-veggie carbs and starchy veg, I've quit sugar. If I turn that faucet on, it's so hard to turn off.

No thanks, I don't deserve a treat this weekend, it's not going to be "just this once" or "just one bite." I deserve to feel good about myself, I deserve to be healthy, I don't deserve to have the floodgates of food cravings reopened because you want someone else to eat cake in order to make you feel better about your poor nutritional choices.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    I discovered that I can't do moderation very well. Easter Weekend, I indulged and it wasn't just one piece of Easter candy. It was too much - I am ashamed at how much I ate, to be honest.

Even when I felt like bursting, I still kept eating. This is when it hit me on the head that I cannot do moderation.

If I do overindulge, I pay for it hard. An increase in the scale, sluggish behaviour and the desire to sleep for hours.

Now will this keep me from overindulging in the future? I cannot say for sure because I know myself. I know that I have a one way or another type of personality. But I will think about it long and hard, and try to remember how I felt after a huge sugar binge.

Some people just can't be an everything in moderation type of person.
  • RalfLott
    They will never know the freedom of eating to live rather than living to eat. And they will never know that eating to live does not mean you eat gross, unsatisfying food.

Haha! I've seen your food pix. >drool <

• lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Citation?

just kidding :P
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    I relate to everything that's been said on this thread so much. It's funny because right before I saw this, I posted something related on my wall:

"I just wanted to take a moment to acknowledge that most of us are here not just for our weight but also for our health, on some level or another. I'm not getting any younger, and seeing what has happened to my family members, and seeing elevated blood pressure for the first time, is pretty scary. I'll freely admit to wanting to lose weight for vanity reasons, but it's not the only thing I care about. I've also been staying away from things like alcohol and cigarettes, which also means having to stay away from people I used to hang out with, which is lonely, but I know it's time for me to create a new life. I may or may not ever have the "bikini body", but either way, I want to know that everything I'm putting IN my body is honoring my body and not rotting it from the inside out. When I was only playing the calorie game, I did lose weight, but I still wasn't making the right decisions for myself in terms of what I was consuming. But I feel like this change in focus is more reflective of what I'm truly trying to accomplish with myself and my life."
  • nvmomketo
    When it comes to treats, I try to remember what someone around here once wrote: I am not a dog; I will not be rewarded with food. I love that.
    lithezebra wrote: »

I have people tell me, frequently, "I bet that you can eat anything you want," which is completely untrue. I'm hypothyroid, and gain weight easily. Then they think I have an ED when I don't want bread. And I had an ED years ago, so that bothers me. Except doctors. Doctors know I'm not eating everything I want. With obesity as prevalent as it is, I don't know why people think there's something wrong with being creative and pragmatic about keeping your own weight under control, even using extreme measures like not eating excessive, low-nutrient carbs, and exercising every day.

yes. I don't think people should be able to eat whatever they want. That's part of the reason that my health took a hit. I think people should moderate or cut out many behaviours, and not just in their food habits. Hedonistic behaviour is usuallynot beneficial in the long term in anything, including food choices.

• Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    People tell me that moderation nonsense, and I ask them if they would say the same thing to an alcoholic. Sugar is an addiction.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Hedonistic behaviour is usually not beneficial in the long term in anything, including food choices.
    Hey now! Are you saying I have to give up orgies AND carbs?! :wink:

Just kidding!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    RalfLott wrote: »
    They will never know the freedom of eating to live rather than living to eat. And they will never know that eating to live does not mean you eat gross, unsatisfying food.

Haha! I've seen your food pix. >drool <

I do love good food! I'm just not willing to make a deal with the devil for it :wink:
    Glad I don't have to since I get all kinds of yummy stuff!
  • nvmomketo
    Hedonistic behaviour is usually not beneficial in the long term in anything, including food choices.
    Hey now! Are you saying I have to give up orgies AND carbs?! :wink:

Just kidding!

Splutter... Just about spit my coffee out over that one! LOL