Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

World’s obese population hits 641 million, global study finds

GaleHawkins
GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
edited April 2016 in Debate Club
channelnewsasia.com/news/world/world-s-obese-population/2655302.html

This article covers different parts of the world and where people are the most thick and thin body wise.

Replies

• GaleHawkins
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Interesting. Thanks for sharing.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    That's some scary s**t. Thank you for sharing the articles. I guess there is a downside to living in a prosperous country; who would have guessed?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Beats not having enough food (and I recognize that food insecurity is still an issue). I'd much rather have to worry about working to avoid gaining weight than have to worry about starving or actually starve, if crops failed or grasshoppers came and ate everything or who knows what.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    There was a report on the news last night saying Obesity is now more of a problem than starvation/malnutrition!
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    We're also getting much taller as a world.

Scientific American: Why are we getting taller as a species?

The Conversation: Why did humans grow four inches in 100 years?

Our World in Data: Human Height

This is a great graph from Dr. Randal Olson on height averages in several nations. The trend holds worldwide.
    8s58dxuq86a6.png

This is also related to nutrition.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Don't look at me, I reduced the number by one, it must be everyone else not doing their part.
    Heck, I'm going to reduce the number of overweight by one in a week or two.
  • chelbug901
    chelbug901 Posts: 10 Member
    I read an article on Yahoo! that 1 in 8 people are considered obese, and within the next 10-15 years that number with go to 1 in 5, that is sad, and I feel like a lot of us are trying our best to not be a statistic. Let's keep it up people!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    Habitual behavior is the main culprit. Yes, there's more food available in just about every industrial country, but HOW much people eat is the direct reason. If your parents pile your plate, you'll grow up habitually eating that way. And vice versa.
    I also believe that moving from a situation where you didn't have much growing up, then being exposed to plenty of options with limitless supplies makes a difference. Many people who migrate to the US end up gaining a significant amount of weight within 10 years.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • tomteboda
    edited April 2016
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Habitual behavior is the main culprit. Yes, there's more food available in just about every industrial country, but HOW much people eat is the direct reason. If your parents pile your plate, you'll grow up habitually eating that way. And vice versa.

I was just pointing out to my mother how silly her plates/cups/bowls look with normal serving sizes in them. She has these absolutely giant serving things and ordinary portion sizes are swallowed up in them. I'm not terribly surprised that I put on 50 lbs when I moved home to care for her, in retrospect.

I eat/drink out of children-sized dishes. That 1/2 cup of ice cream may look sad in a 1 cup capacity bowl, but it looks far less sad than in my mom's monster bowls.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Big coverage on BBC yesterday - figures are alarming just like the "what's next".

Previous 20 years + projections over the next 15/20 years see a steady yet dramatic increase in the levels published and food industry remains partially / barely regularised.

Trends lead to over buying and over eating - food has become a centre piece of everyday life but with very little education, controls and a considerable amount of ignorance on the choices people make (both voluntary and "kept in the dark" ignorance).

• lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    edited April 2016
    Recently found this article saying that now, over half of calories consumed in the US are from ultra processed foods, according to self reports. :/

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/139909/20160310/more-than-half-of-american-calories-come-from-processed-food.htm
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    There was a report on the news last night saying Obesity is now more of a problem than starvation/malnutrition!

Maybe in "developed" countries. I kind of doubt that's a global phenomenon.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    20% by 2025?

That sounds like it is good for business.
  • GaleHawkins

The obese can be malnutritioned also and starved of nutrients which then feeds this endless binge fest.

I can see both of these things happening at the same time. When I started eating in a way that gave my body what it was really needing the health started to return and the weight moved back closer to my normal weight range. And yes @EvgeniZyntx this is huge for business. MFP and other are well positioned I expect. I just hope real solutions win out. I had to get well before I could lose weight. The body can fix a lot of stuff but has to have its expected nutrients for sure.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Seems a waste of effort documenting this, resources would be better used in an intervention.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Recently found this article saying that now, over half of calories consumed in the US are from ultra processed foods, according to self reports. :/

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/139909/20160310/more-than-half-of-american-calories-come-from-processed-food.htm

Ultra processed foods don't make people fat. Eating too much food and not moving enough makes people fat.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Interesting that they describe morbid obesity as impacting breathing or walking, but that's only one of the definitions of morbid obesity.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member

The article says participants ate on average 2,070 cals/ day, and reported 28% consumption from minimally processed to unprocessed foods, 3.1% from olive oil and table sugar, and 10% from processed foods. That adds up to a total of 41% of their consumption. Are we just inferring that the remainder of the calories come from ultra processed foods? Strange that they wouldn't actually come out and provide that number in the paragraph where they are detailing the findings.
  • tomteboda
    senecarr wrote: »
    Interesting that they describe morbid obesity as impacting breathing or walking, but that's only one of the definitions of morbid obesity.

I think a functional definition of obesity and morbid obesity would be great more helpful than the bmi definition.