Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,030 Member
    I'm not giving up!!! I have changed for life:-) it's just a hard start

<3 Awesome attitude!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,030 Member
    rankinsect wrote: »
    I didn't really feel like that this time at all. My goal wasn't to change everything to my idea of what "perfect" diet and exercise was, my goal is to make the smallest set of changes that will lead me to success. I only made changes I realistically expected I could maintain for a lifetime.
    @rankinsect

So glad you posted your thoughts... I really needed to hear this! I often get stuck in that 'gotta do everything perfect' mode and it only makes things harder.

I think your comment has just become a quote of inspiration for me to get me back where I really wanna be...
    Thanks!!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I believe this varies greatly from person to person. My experience varies greatly from the responses so far. I've been seriously going at this since 1/1/2014. For most of the first year, I saw results despite being super hungry all the time. I tolerated the extreme hunger because I was losing, albeit very slowly.

But when I stopped losing and entered a plateau, I couldn't stand being both hungry AND not losing. After 2 months of no sustained loss, I started some creative ways to try to start losing again. This was my first plateau, so at the time, I wasn't aware of how real plateaus work (where one is truly eating at a deficit and not actually losing). I started this variation of IF, which was not so much calorie counting (I did track calories for the data, but didn't restrict during feast times). For 6 weeks, I ate at double my TDEE in total, though some days a huge deficit and some days I actually ate 5 times TDEE. The idea was to at least use IF to maybe shrink my appetite. It helped a small amount, but not much. The good thing is that, since I was in a real plateau, I didn't have any sustained gain during this time. The day-to-day fluctuations (which happen within a plateau, but center around a base number) grew much larger, but I didn't gain or lose anything. So I went back to a normal daily deficit. Finally, a couple months later, I had the "whoosh." In hindsight, the whoosh would have been much larger had I not eaten at a surplus for 6 weeks of the roughly 6 months. I knew quite a bit more about plateaus for the next one, and was able to have more patience because I knew some of what to expect.

The short answer is: Yes, I totally understand what it is like to feel like you are starving - for me, it doesn't go away, but the losses keep me willing to eat at a deficit.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    rankinsect wrote: »
    I didn't really feel like that this time at all. My goal wasn't to change everything to my idea of what "perfect" diet and exercise was, my goal is to make the smallest set of changes that will lead me to success. I only made changes I realistically expected I could maintain for a lifetime.

That is exactly what I have done differently this time, and as I don't want to change anything now, I'm getting more and more confident this is for real and for life :smiley:
  • bodymindmusic
    bodymindmusic Posts: 118 Member
    edited April 2016
    Day 2️⃣6️⃣9️⃣ - add me.
  • lil_katie86
    lil_katie86 Posts: 73 Member
    Add me guys I don't no how to add people! I'd love the support from all of you:-)
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    eat more protein, and make sure your TDEE is calculated properly. You should rarely be hungry.
  • latincoffee
    latincoffee Posts: 187 Member
    Was there any point you felt like giving up? Or have given up in the past???
    So far I'm on week four and I'm still dying from working out and starving from my new healthy eating!! When does this get better??

I'm not going to give up. I've changed for life now, I just hope it gets easier!!

I know the feeling, @lil_katie86 Once you continue with the habits--it should be easier ;)

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Was there any point you felt like giving up? Or have given up in the past???
    So far I'm on week four and I'm still dying from working out and starving from my new healthy eating!! When does this get better??

I'm not going to give up. I've changed for life now, I just hope it gets easier!!

You need practices and habits you can maintain long term. I suggest that you learn to pace yourself on your workouts so you can survive better. Most workouts and classes are designed to challenge people with a great fitness level already. There is no shame in reducing the intensity, reps etc so it is challenging but doable for you.

I you're too hungry, increase your calorie goal, which means you set MFP to lose less per week. After you get used to that, you might be able to decrease cals again, in smaller steps. Be sure you're eating enough to fuel those killer workouts & recovery too. There is no reason to torture yourself. You need a plan that's sustainable or there's no point in doing this.