Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Negative Net

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    what did you do today to burn 1400 calories?

300 calories in 10 minutes of one exercise.
    300 calories in 15 minutes of another exercise.
    I can't remember how many for 160 minutes of playing guitar.
    And another entry for singing.

Bottomline, OP, you are over estimating your burns.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

Jeebers, way over estimating... OP I don't think you have to worry about minus net calories if you're using those numbers.

Are you losing more or less weight then planned?

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I doubt that anyone would have enough energy to burn enough to be in negative calories....?

I don't know why anyone would want to even try?
    Sounds like torture. *shrugs shoulders* :smiley:

When I go backpacking, the American kind not the European kind, meaning a hike that lasts several days, carrying your tent, sleeping bag, clothing, food, a stove, a water purifier, and everything else you need in your backpack while you hike ... the food is usually freeze dried slop. It's hard enough to hike up a mountain pass when you're not carrying a 50 pound backpack; you try to reduce weight as much as you can when you are. Including food. So, I do this sometimes for 4 or 5 days at a time in the summer. That slop, it's nasty. You lose your appetite real quick. I don't know how many calories I burn hiking 10 mountainous miles with a heavy pack, but I know by the third day I just can't stomach more than one meal.

I had plans to hike from Easy Pass to Stehekin, but changed them on day four because I couldn't eat any more of that stuff. Decided to bail via the Thunder Creek trail which required me to hitch hike back to my car.

So yes, it can be done. And yes, it's unpleasant. I wouldn't recommend it, but I'll do it again several times this summer. You asked "why would you even try," and my answer to that is there's a lot of beauty and not all of it is right near the road.

Humor: Lose Weight Now With The 10,000-Foot Diet (Semi-Rad)

This (hiking/backpacking) is when I get to negative net calories. I have the MSR Dragonfly, and I cook pretty good food when I can (good for backpacking anyway because I have the stove for gourmet cooking on the trail). However, the weight and volume are a big limitation.

Having said that, I will also go way over on calories right afterwards (used to binge before hiking, but found my own extra few lbs. just wasn't worth it).
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member

Maybe he's 350 pounds and swimming really hard.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    moe0303 wrote: »

Generally people with the aerobic capacity to continuously maintain the intensity that burns 300 calories in 10 minutes aren't at 350 pounds.
  • moe0303
    senecarr wrote: »

Generally people with the aerobic capacity to continuously maintain the intensity that burns 300 calories in 10 minutes aren't at 350 pounds.
    So you're telling me there's a chance.
  • 3dogsrunning

Well, OP is female and they were workout videos. One was an ab/dance video. So that's probably not the case here.
  • moe0303

Well, OP is female and they were workout videos. One was an ab/dance video. So that's probably not the case here.

That brings up a good point. I don't think gender is a factor in the equation I use. I wonder why that is.

I think some of the sarcasm of my original suggestion of a 350lbs person swimming might have ben lost. Of course, she might be 624 pounds.

@wstephens87 here's a formula I've seen used before: Weight (in lbs) X Time (in minutes) X MET value (for "video exercise workouts, TV conditioning programs (e.g., cardio-resistance), vigorous effort" is 6) X .008 = Calories burned.

So in this case,

if you weigh 180, it would be

180 X 10 X 6 X .008 = 86.4 calories

I made a calculator on google if you're interested: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YbEexb8IvXv1m9Z6irkwrBggxOg9b8GKdrLA0mKDVE8/edit#gid=0

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Thank you guys so much! I'm glad I asked! Otherwise I would have made it my goal each day to be close to negative not knowing the consequences! But I might fast occasionally for like a day or two if at all. Thanks again! Clocking out for the weekend!

It doesn't sound like you have a good understanding of how this site works and how to achieve the best possible results. You should read the stickied "most helpful posts" at the top of the getting started forum section.

When you set up MFP and entered your stats and
    A goal weight and a rate of loss it calculated a calorie goal for you that means you would lose weight even if you did no exercise. When you do exercise, you are increasing that deficit and if it increases too significantly or takes you below certain levels then that can have negative effects: you risk loss of lean body mass, fatigue, hair loss, brittle nails, not to mention not being able to get adequate nutrition if you aren't eating enough. So you should be eating more if you exercise, so that your net calories stay at or near the goal provided by MFP.

That being said, people often underestimate the calories they take in, and overestimate the calories they burn. It is unlikely that you are exercising with enough intensity to burn 1200 cals/day through exercise alone. You should probably reconsider the accuracy of those estimates, or only eat back a portion of those calories.

• 3dogsrunning

That brings up a good point. I don't think gender is a factor in the equation I use. I wonder why that is.

I think some of the sarcasm of my original suggestion of a 350lbs person swimming might have ben lost. Of course, she might be 624 pounds.

@wstephens87 here's a formula I've seen used before: Weight (in lbs) X Time (in minutes) X MET value (for "video exercise workouts, TV conditioning programs (e.g., cardio-resistance), vigorous effort" is 6) X .008 = Calories burned.

So in this case,

if you weigh 180, it would be

180 X 10 X 6 X .008 = 86.4 calories

I made a calculator on google if you're interested: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YbEexb8IvXv1m9Z6irkwrBggxOg9b8GKdrLA0mKDVE8/edit#gid=0

My understanding is that when it comes to calories burns, the gender factor is a very small factor. Men do tend to carry more muscle than women which would burn a few extra calories but not a signficant amount. The overall driving factors are weight and intensity.
  • moe0303
    ...and time.

Cool. Thanks for the perspective.
  • JollyHodgers87
    JollyHodgers87 Posts: 165 Member
    I doubt that anyone would have enough energy to burn enough to be in negative calories....?

I don't know why anyone would want to even try?
    Sounds like torture. *shrugs shoulders* :smiley:

When I go backpacking, the American kind not the European kind, meaning a hike that lasts several days, carrying your tent, sleeping bag, clothing, food, a stove, a water purifier, and everything else you need in your backpack while you hike ... the food is usually freeze dried slop. It's hard enough to hike up a mountain pass when you're not carrying a 50 pound backpack; you try to reduce weight as much as you can when you are. Including food. So, I do this sometimes for 4 or 5 days at a time in the summer. That slop, it's nasty. You lose your appetite real quick. I don't know how many calories I burn hiking 10 mountainous miles with a heavy pack, but I know by the third day I just can't stomach more than one meal.

I had plans to hike from Easy Pass to Stehekin, but changed them on day four because I couldn't eat any more of that stuff. Decided to bail via the Thunder Creek trail which required me to hitch hike back to my car.

So yes, it can be done. And yes, it's unpleasant. I wouldn't recommend it, but I'll do it again several times this summer. You asked "why would you even try," and my answer to that is there's a lot of beauty and not all of it is right near the road.

Humor: Lose Weight Now With The 10,000-Foot Diet (Semi-Rad)

I love this answer. There is nothing like going out into nature and reconnecting with the earth.
  • JollyHodgers87
    Ok I'm going to throw this out there. Not sure why I care. But I'm not over estimating on the calories because I'm manually logging them from what the exercise programs tell me I'm burning per minute. And the Teaira Leshae workouts are no joke. It's a big workout. I'd recommend it actually. She has one that burns 500 calories in one dance. Anyway...it is possible to do this throughout the day. And yes I'm female. LOL
  • JollyHodgers87
    Hope everybody had a good weekend!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Ok I'm going to throw this out there. Not sure why I care. But I'm not over estimating on the calories because I'm manually logging them from what the exercise programs tell me I'm burning per minute. And the Teaira Leshae workouts are no joke. It's a big workout. I'd recommend it actually. She has one that burns 500 calories in one dance. Anyway...it is possible to do this throughout the day. And yes I'm female. LOL

500 calories in one dance? It looks like the routine is 25 minutes. There are some activities and intensities that could burn 500 calories in 25 minutes, but a dance routine isn't one of them.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member

Often exercise equipment/programs will also overestimate calorie burns. Also super frustrating is just because a workout feels hard does not mean it burns lots of calories. It may be an indicator, but not necessarily so.

However, that being said, if you are happy with where you are at and how you are doing and you're losing, then maybe it's not the end of the world right now. If you are burning what you are sure you're burning and eating what you say you're eating, then eventually you are going to get hungry. When that happens, eat something. Seriously.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Your exercise diary says you burned 300 calories doing this workout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTH5saFBDqA

There's just no way. It's 10 minutes of stand-up crunches, walking in place, and ab rolls. If I did that workout, I'd burn maybe 80 calories.

Seriously, you need to reevaluate your exercise burns. They are enormously overestimated.
  • willrun4pancakes
    willrun4pancakes Posts: 12 Member
    Exercise programs advertise an unrealistic calorie burn to get people to buy their products.
  • moe0303
    I think even for an intense workout of that type, you are probably looking at about 8 METs. It might go as high as 10, but I doubt it. The highest I've seen from the compendium of physical activities is 14, but jumping rope at a pace of 120-160 skips per minute is 12.3. If you want to get an idea of accuracy, try jumping rope at that pace for 25 minutes. If you can keep that pace for that long, you are a bad man...I mean WOman....I mean "Whoa, man you're a beast!" You can use the formula I posted earlier and plug in different numbers to give you a more accurate idea.

As someone else said, what matters is that you're happy. So even if you aren't interested in all the math, maybe someone else who happens upon this thread might find it useful.
  • moe0303
    edited April 2016
    Oh, I also wanted to add that in order for them to know your calorie expenditure, they would have to know your weight. Otherwise, they are probably taking a very high number for the given weight. How long is a song? If you mean like a normal 5-minute song then even if it burned at the highest rate I've seen, 14 (which would be very very highly unlikely), the person would have to weigh almost 900 (893) pounds to burn that amount of calories. If there is a 900lb person that can move like that, that individual would be a walk-on for any NFL team, man or woman, it wouldn't matter.