Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Interesting (single) study linking breast cancer recurrence with length of overnight fasting

Replies

• Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    I read that "study" it really isn't a study and they conclude that a study needs to be done. It was mostly about hgA1C. The headline is very misleading
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    http://oncology.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=2506710

Not all that meaty, IMO, but interesting.

(I'm a 15-year survivor of stage III BC, FWIW. Purely anecdotally - i.e., from reactions I've heard in support groups - the majority of women who "just wish there was more they could do to make sure it doesn't come back" seem to reject exercise & diet interventions, sadly. I don't know whether they seem just too hard/unrealistic in folks' lifestyles, or are not high tech enough. Enough science behind the value of good nutrition & regular exercise, as ways to minimize recurrence, to make them worth doing, though, IMO.)
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    http://oncology.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=2506710

Not all that meaty, IMO, but interesting.

(I'm a 15-year survivor of stage III BC, FWIW. Purely anecdotally - i.e., from reactions I've heard in support groups - the majority of women who "just wish there was more they could do to make sure it doesn't come back" seem to reject exercise & diet interventions, sadly. I don't know whether they seem just too hard/unrealistic in folks' lifestyles, or are not high tech enough. Enough science behind the value of good nutrition & regular exercise, as ways to minimize recurrence, to make them worth doing, though, IMO.)

20 year survivor here of breast cancer stage 2A. I was thin and fit at the time I was diagnosed. Chemo did a number on my metabolism. I tell my patients at there survivorship visit about the importance of diet and exercise on risk reduction I don't know one person who exercises. I try to stay fit and be a good example not easy with some health issues I have. It seems people often would rather sit and worry rather than be proactive. I live in Appalachia and people then to be more fatalistic.
    Congratulations!