Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fruits vs Sweets?

Options

Replies

• Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I would choose most fruit over most non-fruit sweets, except for the fruit I'm allergic to which is about half of fruit. I would choose strawberry cake or dark chocolate or pumpkin pie over any fruit except berries, lol.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    lithezebra wrote: »
    stealthq wrote: »
    Jruzer wrote: »
    I don't understand this kind of question. I eat fruit almost every day, and I eat sweets sometimes. I don't usually feel like I'm in a position to choose between them.

How about in a Japanese/Asian restaurant where the choices are often: an orange, lychees (one of my favorites as well), and either matcha or red bean ice cream?

In this case, I consistently go for the fruit if I get anything. No question.

If I'm offered a dessert that I love in a restaurant, I'm likely to go for the thing I can't grab out of the produce aisle any time.

Asian Grocery stores can solve this problem.
    I miss Asian grocery stores so much! I'll still have one serving of mango sticky rice at a restaurant, or split it with a friend, and not make 4 servings of it at home, though I know how.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I don't understand this kind of question. I eat fruit almost every day, and I eat sweets sometimes. I don't usually feel like I'm in a position to choose between them.

How about in a Japanese/Asian restaurant where the choices are often: an orange, lychees (one of my favorites as well), and either matcha or red bean ice cream?

If I'm offered a dessert that I love in a restaurant, I'm likely to go for the thing I can't grab out of the produce aisle any time.

Yes. Me too. I have oranges frequently, in fact I just had one a little while ago. Why would I get that in a restaurant? I would love me some red bean ice cream.
  • lithezebra
    Options

Yes. Me too. I have oranges frequently, in fact I just had one a little while ago. Why would I get that in a restaurant? I would love me some red bean ice cream.

I've never had red bean ice cream. It sounds delicious. I love taro root ice cream, and red bean pastries at dim sum shops.
  • Gioeyebrow
    Gioeyebrow Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Omg you chould try hicama watermelon mango cucumbers and pinapple sprincle some salt and chilli powder on them squeez a lime on them and its so sooo delicius or if you really want sweets you could have a bowl of fruit with like fudge or something and treat it like a cake
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    All of them.

I would choose the same as I like all of them as well.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    If it's between a quality baked good (chocolate cake, fresh cookies) or premium ice cream and an apple? Sorry, but the fruit isn't going to stand a chance.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Because at many Japanese restaurants you don't order them - you are served one with or after dinner regardless, like fortune cookies at many Chinese restaurants.
  • Jruzer
    edited March 2016
    Options

Because at many Japanese restaurants you don't order them - you are served one with or after dinner regardless, like fortune cookies at many Chinese restaurants.

I'm cool with that. But if I had a choice I wouldn't pay for one.

That said, once when I was in Shanghai I was treated to a very nice dinner by a company that was trying to get our business. Dessert was fruit, and that was where I discovered passionfruit. Oh man was that good!
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

I'm cool with that. But if I had a choice I wouldn't pay for one.

That said, once when I was in Shanghai I was treated to a very nice dinner by a company that was trying to get our business. Dessert was fruit, and that was where I discovered passionfruit. Oh man was that good!

Passion fruit is the most delicious thing on the planet. I love it!
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Blackberries, blueberries and pineapple. Pineapple grilled with cinnamon.

I can go with those fruits over sweets in general. But if I had a piece of Tiramisu or really creamcheesy carrot cake, FU fruit.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    I'm the oddball out I guess, I'd never choose fruit over candy, cookies, cakes...sorry :neutral:
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I suppose I'm most likely to go for a piece of very dark chocolate (85% or greater) as a more regular treat.

But man, red beans... patbingsu comes to mind as a decadent and amazing dessert. And I'm a sucker for crème brulee. Haven't had either in years. Not due to diet. I just don't get out to restaurants much and if I do, I opt for a cocktail instead. ;)
  • Jruzer
    Options
    KiPZgd6.png
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    My first preference is dark chocolate with orange or chili mixed in. However, I limit that to once in a great while because I have a hard time eating one or two squares at a time. I love fruit, but some of my favorites (like apples) make my BG go through the roof so I stick to berries, grapes, and halos. And those I watch. I do watch because of sugar content.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    I suppose I'm most likely to go for a piece of very dark chocolate (85% or greater) as a more regular treat.

But man, red beans... patbingsu comes to mind as a decadent and amazing dessert. And I'm a sucker for crème brulee. Haven't had either in years. Not due to diet. I just don't get out to restaurants much and if I do, I opt for a cocktail instead. ;)

Thank God for feeling full, or I'd be eating crème brulee every chance I got.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'm not big on sweet stuff in general so I don't eat a lot of it, including fruit. I may have a banana once or twice a week mixed in with my oats, or frozen blueberries (also in the oats), but otherwise I'm not a fan of fruit. As for non-fruit sweet stuff, not a whole lot there that appeals to me either. I'll do half a donut here and there, and things like animal crackers and Greek yogurt once in a while, but otherwise I'd rather use the calories for things like Dortios and pretzels. I'm definitely more of a salty/savory type of person.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    KiPZgd6.png

Nature isn't much of a chef.

I also think (for the most part) cooked food > raw.

:wink:
  • Shineylou
    Shineylou Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Stick with fruits, all natural sugars are better than processed. Still in moderation.