Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fruits vs Sweets?

124»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member
    Huh? Fruits are sweets - darned good ones.
  • rebelcurly2
    rebelcurly2 Posts: 8 Member
    edited April 2016
    Blueberries all way! ;)
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Blueberries for me, I love the wild boreal ones
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I'm in a pear obsession currently. Blueberries are great, though -- the one fruit I eat all year (which I suppose means its fine out of season or carted in from wherever).
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    Bananas and grapefruit. Never was a big fan of sweets. At the moment I'm obsessing over grapefruit. Sometimes plain, sometimes with soy yogurt <3
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Most, as I love fruit.

I think it's seriously weird to focus on how much sugar fruit has, however.

Count your blessings.

Haven't you posted that you used to eat tons of candy and soda?

Anyway, I had a pear today.

Oooookay.

Yes I did used to eat candy or a soda on most days of the week in my mid to late thirties. Wasn't good for my insulin resistance, hence my choice of fruits over sweets with the fruits being berries because they are low in sugar. I HAVE to count carbs to maintain my health. Count your blessings that you don't need to count your carbs.... and be weird. LOL

LOL!

You pretend to think veg are bad for you.

Okay then... so you eat the same now as you did when you gained your weight? I went through a few years of eating foods I knew were bad for me. I knew and had a hard time stopping. I wasn't proud of it but there it is.

I don't think veg are bad... I do think they mess with my blood glucose, and that eggs, meats, nuts and dairy are adequate in the nutrients I need, although I still enjoy low carb veggies. I just don't eat a huge amount because of the negative effects on my BG and autoimmune pain.

... But this is waay off topic. This is a thread about fruit vs sweets isn't it? I would now choose fruit. Specifically berries. While I was gaining I would have chosen sweets. People, and their circumstances, change.

Ya, I had a LOT of ice cream and baked goods when I was gaining, and now I eat way less of that and more fruit. The fruit satisfies my sweet tooth, which is minimal after reducing carbs and upping protein. I do have a small amount of dark chocolate after dinner.

I'm looking forward to in another six weeks or so when my garden will be exploding with strawberries.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    senecarr wrote: »
    lithezebra wrote: »
    stealthq wrote: »
    Jruzer wrote: »
    I don't understand this kind of question. I eat fruit almost every day, and I eat sweets sometimes. I don't usually feel like I'm in a position to choose between them.

How about in a Japanese/Asian restaurant where the choices are often: an orange, lychees (one of my favorites as well), and either matcha or red bean ice cream?

In this case, I consistently go for the fruit if I get anything. No question.

If I'm offered a dessert that I love in a restaurant, I'm likely to go for the thing I can't grab out of the produce aisle any time.

Asian Grocery stores can solve this problem.

That's one think I miss about south Florida - the prevalence of Asian grocery stores. Now I have to schlep into Quincy, MA for one.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2016
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Most, as I love fruit.

I think it's seriously weird to focus on how much sugar fruit has, however.

Count your blessings.

Haven't you posted that you used to eat tons of candy and soda?

Anyway, I had a pear today.

Oooookay.

Yes I did used to eat candy or a soda on most days of the week in my mid to late thirties. Wasn't good for my insulin resistance, hence my choice of fruits over sweets with the fruits being berries because they are low in sugar. I HAVE to count carbs to maintain my health. Count your blessings that you don't need to count your carbs.... and be weird. LOL

LOL!

You pretend to think veg are bad for you.

Okay then... so you eat the same now as you did when you gained your weight? I went through a few years of eating foods I knew were bad for me. I knew and had a hard time stopping. I wasn't proud of it but there it is.

I don't think veg are bad... I do think they mess with my blood glucose, and that eggs, meats, nuts and dairy are adequate in the nutrients I need, although I still enjoy low carb veggies. I just don't eat a huge amount because of the negative effects on my BG and autoimmune pain.

... But this is waay off topic. This is a thread about fruit vs sweets isn't it? I would now choose fruit. Specifically berries. While I was gaining I would have chosen sweets. People, and their circumstances, change.

Ya, I had a LOT of ice cream and baked goods when I was gaining, and now I eat way less of that and more fruit. The fruit satisfies my sweet tooth, which is minimal after reducing carbs and upping protein. I do have a small amount of dark chocolate after dinner.

I'm looking forward to in another six weeks or so when my garden will be exploding with strawberries.

Oh, I missed the prior post. I don't eat the same as when I was gaining, but if anything I eat more sweets. I don't have a huge sweet tooth and didn't eat a ton of either fruit or sweets when gaining -- I ate some stupid stuff at the office occasionally (peanut M&Ms are hard for me to resist once I start eating them) and occasionally bought a cookie or buried sorrows in half a pint of ice cream, but I don't really think I eat less sugar now. I think it's just more mindful (my calorie cutting is carbs I find dull, like rice and bread, plus fat, plus the various "breakfast is at the office, go eat!" on days I'd already had breakfast but figured why not eat if everyone else was. Oh, and I am less indulgent at restaurants which matters since I go out about 2x/week (I think this is more fat cutting than anything), and never order Indian food mid week (I have it about once a month).)

I probably ate more sugar when losing than gaining, but that's largely because I now eat more fruit and dairy (I like fruit, but never used to eat that much of it, and similarly I like plain greek yogurt, but used to never eat any and now I eat a lot). And while I limit myself to a serving or so (I never ate a whole pint, but I'd often eat half), I eat ice cream or gelato more regularly. I also eat sweet potatoes and oatmeal more. I ate a lot more fat before (I wish fat were satiating for me, but it's not). I always ate lots of fish and veg, but I used to use a silly amount of fat, and same with my pasta sauces (always homemade).

Most significantly, during the first half or so of my weight gain I was really obsessive with an "all natural" way of eating (basically a form of "clean eating" but I didn't know that term and would have found it obnoxious). I even flirted with locavorism. It was not helpful to my weight -- it actually resulted in me making everything more complicated than it needed to be, so things that should have been easy were hard.

Now I love fruit and eat it a lot in the summer (I like local in-season fruit so eat it less often than I'd like in the winter). Can't wait until strawberries come in season. In the winter I do eat a lot of blueberries and raspberries, since they seem fine in the grocery store, but I also eat bananas and kiwis more than usual (nothing is in season, so might as well eat the fruits that never will be), apples (my farm delivers them until Dec), and pears (because I am currently obsessed with them.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited April 2016
    I've never been overweight, however, in the days when my fasting glucose was in the 90s, I was eating a lot of fruit, probably 6 or 7 servings a day, because was easy and delicious. Now my fasting glucose is in the 70s, and I'm a lot more moderate about all of my carb intake, including fruit.

It's tough in July-October, around here, because there are figs gone feral, for free, in the creeks, blackberries, pomegranates, apples, pears, grapes, and plums, all growing in my yard or publicly accessible places. I freeze some of it.
  • jesssiebee1983
    jesssiebee1983 Posts: 27 Member
    Wepz wrote: »
    What fruits would you choose over sweets?

I drink tomato juice every day as I have super low blood pressure and POTS. I figure that'll do me for fruit. So when I want sweet things I have a hot chocolate or packet of ovaltenies or chocolate. I figure as long as I'm meeting my micro and macro goals anything goes.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Shineylou wrote: »
    Stick with fruits, all natural sugars are better than processed. Still in moderation.

Better how?
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,379 Member
    Depends on my mood. I do consider some fruits sweet snacks, but the mood I'm in dictates which I'm interested in.

Warm apple pie with ice cream, no decision to make that way.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    I'm more a veg lover than fruits so I'll take the sweets any day (obviously they'll fit in my macros) :smiley:
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Both.
    Love chocolate and have a piece every day.
    Favorite fruits are berries, melons, and bananas.
  • cadpro78
    cadpro78 Posts: 125 Member
    Wepz wrote: »
    What fruits would you choose over sweets?

Pretty much all fruits would go. Grapes, pears, bananas, plums, pineapples....you name it. I would eat any of those fruits and veggies over a snickers bar right now. Speaking of which, I am graving a celery and carrot stick right now. :smiley:
  • cadpro78
    cadpro78 Posts: 125 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Chocolate covered banana

Dark chocolate banana right?
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,636 Member
    Best of both worlds - a fancy fruit tart!

Fruit: grapes, cherries, mangoes, cuties (clementines that have no seeds and are easy to peel), plums.

As far as Japanese restaurant desserts, I've found two of my favorite flavors of ice cream only at Japanese restaurants or stores: ginger, black sesame seed.