Recipes using shredded carrots

e_v_v
e_v_v Posts: 131 Member
Help! I bought a huge bag of shredded carrots for one recipe, and I have a ton left over. Besides sprinkling them on salads, does anyone have any other ideas for using up these shredded carrots?

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    ebrass73 wrote: »
    Help! I bought a huge bag of shredded carrots for one recipe, and I have a ton left over. Besides sprinkling them on salads, does anyone have any other ideas for using up these shredded carrots?

Funny you say this - I have a bag in my fridge that I've been trying to use up as well! I've mostly been putting them onto salads, or onto my kid's plates telling them that they are carrots for miniature rabbits. :wink:

I made stir fry a couple of times and threw them in at the end, but also have this on my meal plan for this weekend, it's one of my favorite spring recipes and will use them there.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/primavera-orzo-recipe.html

What was the recipe you used them for? Maybe I can try that one!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Make a salad of shredded carrots, sliced celery, and thawed green peas. Then add some Newman's Sesame Ginger dressing.

Bake with them. Morning Glory muffins: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/7159/morning-glory-muffins-i/?internalSource=search result&referringContentType=search results

If they are matchstick (and have some firmness) I like to add them to stir frys.

This sounds odd, but is actually very good. Add shredded carrots & crushed pineapple to orange jello.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Mix them with chicken, peanut sauce, and cilantro for a cold salad.
  • e_v_v
    e_v_v Posts: 131 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    ebrass73 wrote: »

Funny you say this - I have a bag in my fridge that I've been trying to use up as well! I've mostly been putting them onto salads, or onto my kid's plates telling them that they are carrots for miniature rabbits. :wink:

I made stir fry a couple of times and threw them in at the end, but also have this on my meal plan for this weekend, it's one of my favorite spring recipes and will use them there.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/primavera-orzo-recipe.html

What was the recipe you used them for? Maybe I can try that one!

I made Cheeseburger Soup--not entirely healthy, but more of a treat since I live in NW Iowa and it's still freezing here.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/13062/cheeseburger-soup-i/
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    You can also make carrot patties. I bet they freeze well too, and probably pretty child friendly. RECIPE CARROT PATTIES
  • jenmsu83
    jenmsu83 Posts: 185 Member
    Carrot cake? :) I sometimes add shredded carrots and zucchini to spaghetti sauce or stuffed pepper filling to bulk it up.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    The reason I bought them is to make this dip that I absolutely love for Easter, but I thought I'd share the recipe.

Cashew Chicken Dip

INGREDIENTS

Base
    8 oz cream cheese
    1 Tablespoon milk

Topping
    2 cup cooked shredded chicken
    1 tsp ginger
    3 green onions chopped
    1 tbls soy sauce
    1 cup chopped cashews
    1 tbls chopped parsley or cilantro
    1 cup shredded carrots
    1 minced garlic clove
    Sweet and Sour Sauce or Peanut Sauce for drizzling

INSTRUCTIONS

Base
    Mix cream cheese and milk together, spread on pie plate
    Topping
    Mix all topping ingredients together and refrigerate one hour
    Spread over cream cheese and drizzle with sweet and sour sauce or thai peanut sauce.

I serve it with wheat thins. I usually double the recipe for the topping, because it is great in wraps or on top of salad greens with an asian sesame dressing...
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    I would add them to just about everything I cooked. I do that with broccoli slaw. Eggs, soups, stir-fry, casserole, roast/steam with other veggies and some garlic, coleslaw - I've found making my own sauce with plain greek yogurt and a little sweetener (i use sugar or honey) salt and a little mild vinegar to be pretty good. Possibilities are endless
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Shredded carrot salad
    - vinegar/oil/ spices
    - Raisins
    - Thinly sliced onions
    - Nuts
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    You could mix it with ground beef for meatballs, burgers or meatloaf.
    Add to veggie burgers.
    Carrot cake or muffins?
    Stir fry, soups, wraps
    Cook and puree. Freeze. Add to recipes.
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    My daycare when I was in elementary would put them in Jell-O :(
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Use is fresh spring rolls, carrot raisin salad. carrot and blueberry salad, stir fries.

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2012/10/goldenland-spring-rolls-with-thai-style.html

Carrot and Raisin Salad

6 Tbsp. raisins, washed and drained
    2 C. grated carrots
    1 C. drained, crushed pineapple in own juice
    1/3 C. lite Mayonnaise
    1 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
    1/4 tsp. salt
    2 pkgs. Sugar substitute

Toss raisins, carrots and pineapple together. Set aside. Stir together Mayonnaise, lemon Juice, salt, and sweetener. Add to carrot mixture.
    Keep refrigerated until serving.
    Serves: 8
    NI: Chol: 3 mg, Carbo: 14 gm, Fat: 3 gm, Calories: 85, Protein: 1 gm, sodium: 159 mg
    Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat

Grate carrots, toast some sunflower seeds, and toss with blueberries, olive oil, lemon juice and plenty of black pepper. Sweet, sour, crunchy, soft.

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/03/shredded-beef-szechwan.html

• mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Carrot and coriander soup
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    Carrot bread :D carrot muffins! Carrot pudding!
  • zira91
    zira91 Posts: 670 Member
    salads
    fried rice
    creamy carrot soup
    carrot cake
    chicken and rice in a pot
    carrot rice
    vege stir fry
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    I put lots of carrots in my Lo mein. Yummy. Also, add to shredded cabbage and make a nice lite cole slaw.