How bad is wine?

2»

Replies

• flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    OK, OK, glad to see we all like our wine. I will try some of the suggestions here, banking calories, etc...
    Thank you all!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    I definitely lose weight faster when I don't have wine, but I need wine, so you can pry it from my cold dead fingers.

More serious note, I bank calories during the week so I can have a full bottle in the weekends.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Ya know, I always thought wine was okay, but at my doctor visit I made a comment like, "if we open a bottle, we have to finish it" and he was like.... "No, absolutely not. It's just not a healthy choice" and I think he is right. One glass is as much as a body should have to handle in a day, the work your liver has to do to get it back out is tough!

So if you can't open a bottle and stick to one glass, perhaps best to cut it out. I'm going to measure my glasses better and stick to one glass until he opens the very expensive bottles, where he truly does not wish to let it sit a day and risk it no tasting right.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    Ya know, I always thought wine was okay, but at my doctor visit I made a comment like, "if we open a bottle, we have to finish it" and he was like.... "No, absolutely not. It's just not a healthy choice" and I think he is right. One glass is as much as a body should have to handle in a day, the work your liver has to do to get it back out is tough!

So if you can't open a bottle and stick to one glass, perhaps best to cut it out. I'm going to measure my glasses better and stick to one glass until he opens the very expensive bottles, where he truly does not wish to let it sit a day and risk it no tasting right.

I agree, only one glass at a time.

7580be47e363bad9bfe4f738ded0f3a5.jpg
  • keepupwithjack
    keepupwithjack Posts: 44 Member
    Here's a buzz kill for you... the CDC defines "moderate drinking" as no more than 1 drink per day (5 oz wine or a 12 oz beer). Measure or weigh 5 oz of wine, log it, and enjoy. 5 oz isn't much.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Here's a buzz kill for you... the CDC defines "moderate drinking" as no more than 1 drink per day (5 oz wine or a 12 oz beer). Measure or weigh 5 oz of wine, log it, and enjoy. 5 oz isn't much.

Truth!
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    I drink wine all the time and lose weight!

I probably drink too much for health reasons, but for weight loss, it's been fine.
  • cinblog1965
    cinblog1965 Posts: 133 Member
    I drink wine and darker beers but try to keep it to weekends only. I'm 51 and I struggle with menopause weight, so I can't swear that I won't have to cut that out. I'm just now starting to watch my calories. I try to keep below my calorie goal during the week so I can splurge on the weekends.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    As long as I am running I have room for wine. I am in a rut lately of 3 oz Scotch, 1/2 bottle of wine and a craft beer after dinner. I lost two pounds in three days. I remember when I first joined MFP a friend posted "dude, do you realize a third of your calories are in booze?" I lost fifty pounds but when I slacked off the running and increased food & beer on the weekends I put twenty back on. So now I am back to running and losing.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Wine is good. Not as good as beer, mind you, but still good.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member
    I've cut way back on wine (beer, etc.) to lose weight and get healthier (the latter's the main objective). I was drinking 1-2 drinks daily, and I can't do that *and* hit my macro/micro-nutrient targets every day, especially when in calorie deficit.

I've found I sleep better, wake up more energetic in the morning, and more good stuff, on top of any caloric/nutritional benefits.

I still have the occasional drink when I can fit it in and still get bulletproof nutrition, maybe once a week or so, or on special occasions.

Others experiences & priorities may vary; these are just mine.
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Wine is good. Not as good as beer, mind you, but still good.

True. I prefer beer, but I can fit wine into my calories better for some reason. Beer always throws my weight loss off, but when I drink wine I always stay on track.
  • streamgirl
    streamgirl Posts: 207 Member
    I did find that I lost weight faster when I cut from a drink most nights to a couple of drinks a week. I always logged and stayed within my calories, but somehow it still mattered. Another approach is to reduce portion size, just like everything else. Get a champagne flute and fill it only half full. I was surprised that I am usually happy with that amount as much as with a half of a big red wine glass. I think for me it is sometimes more of an end-of-the day ritual and that seems to satisfy that desire with fewer calories.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    I love my wine...so I make sure there are calories allocated to it. Not an issue.
  • SunnyDuckling
    SunnyDuckling Posts: 204 Member
    edited April 2016
    If you want to be convinced not to drink, (although wine is delicious!) have you ever thought about what it's costing you in a financial sense?
    You say you drink mainly on the weekends - is that bottles you are buying yourself, or purchasing by the glass at a restaurant or pub/bar ? If you're buying a glass of wine for $8.70 per glass and you have 5-6 of them in a night - that can add up to a lot. What quality of wine are you buying? $10 bottles or $30 bottles? Go through 2-3 in a weekend - that's $100 right there.

What else could you be spending that money on? :):)
  • AggieCoffeeGirl
    AggieCoffeeGirl Posts: 1 Member
    Pathmonkey wrote: »
    Wine....goooooooood! :smiley:

It's so good!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    There is no "bad". All things in moderation.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    I like all of these responses. Wow, thank you!