Is 6 days a week of exercise to much?

Replies

• coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Depends on your goals, really.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    If you are also doing manual labor daily on your job ... like digging ditches or walking a mail route all day ... then yeah, but if your job is not labor intensive, then no ...
  • Mystical64
    Mystical64 Posts: 108 Member
    one day of rest is good enough
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    No, 5-6 days per week is pretty typical. I would think one rest day is fine for what you're describing. The more intensive your training is, the more rest you need.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    6 days isn't too much as long as you aren't injuring yourself and as long as you are eating enough. I am working out every day but I vary my activities -- kettlebells, MMA-style workouts, step aerobics, mini trampoline, treadmill intervals, jumping rope, yoga and pilates, 3 days of weightlifting (with some push ups and pull ups thrown in) but never the same muscle group two days in a row. Etc. (Usually 2 or 3 of these activities each day to mix things up.) I do sit at a desk for 8 hours a day, five days a week, so I feel the need to do something to keep moving.
  • RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    Is 6 days too much?
    ;)
    It depends on your goals and level of fitness. I train 7 days per week, and guy told me I exercise too much.
    That same guy is fat and watches 4 hours of TV every night like most average people.
    When average people disapprove, you must be doing something right.
    I think you're doing just fine!
    B)
  • becca1380461
    becca1380461 Posts: 25 Member
    Listen to your body is the best advice. And don't hesitate to have "active" rest days. On my rest days I go swimming with my nieces, or a walk to the park with them. Or it's when a work a double waiting tables and can't get a real (elevated heart rate cardio) work out in.

An active lifestyle as well as losing weight is the end goal. A lifestyle and a diet are both something you do everyday! Keep up the hard work!
  • jakkrk
    jakkrk Posts: 54 Member
    Listen to your body. I workout every day until I'm burnt out then I take a day to rest

Truth. Your body will let you know
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    I'm in the gym 6 days a week. I used to go back for a 2nd workout at night, but I ended up cutting that out when my schedule changed.

My body told me it was too much but I did it anyway. Lucky I didn't myself.
  • another_chelle
    another_chelle Posts: 42 Member
    6 days a week is totally fine; like previous posters have said, find what works for you.

I mix up my workouts just to keep from getting bored. I have tennis once a week, do zumba once or twice a week and do my Jillian videos in the comfort of my own home.

If your worn out it doesn't hurt to take another day off during the week; but once again it's all about how you feel!
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    I'm at 6 days a week too, usually for an hour each time. I try to be active though so even on rest days where I'm not doing a "work out" I might go for an hour walk with my kids. Like others said, sometimes I reach a point of feeling burnt out and may take a day or even a few days off. I want exercise to be enjoyable for me so I try to listen to my body.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    It is good to give your body recovery days, so I would suggest throwing in a second day off in the middle somewhere. But if what you're doing works for you and you don't feel any stress or injury from it, there's nothing wrong with exercising that much. I've been told it's a good idea to alternate cardio and weight training, but don't know how accurate that is.
  • ashenk224
    ashenk224 Posts: 14 Member
    Not if you wanted to eat more food haha
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I exercise six days a week. One of the days is a lighter exercise, the other five are pretty intense. Just pay attention to how you feel, watch for injuries, etc.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    No, if it works it works. I usually find that folks who consistently exercise will say no and the some timers will say you need a break or you are over working.
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    I usually go 6 days a week, sometimes I even do more. It depends on my day. It changes weekly. It also depends on my body. Sometimes it just says you need a rest day and I do it. If not, there are times I work out 7 days a week. Some days I do more than others though.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    I'm with others that say it depends on your intensity. Thirty minutes of moderate intensity seems fine to me. You don't say how old you are. When I was younger I could get away with a lot more than I can now. My body lets me know right away these days if it's too much!

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Listen to your body - if you're feeling fatigued then that's a sign you need another rest day.

Personally I have 2 rest days but I call them active rest days as I still get in 10-15k steps. Everyone is different.
  • penelepurr
    penelepurr Posts: 204 Member
    I'm a triathlete and train 1-2x/day, 6 days a week. Just listen to your body, fuel it properly, and you'll be fine.
  • jamacianredhair
    jamacianredhair Posts: 230 Member
    In my personal opinion it depends on what you're doing and what results you are trying to get from the exercise. I work out 6 days a week sometimes 7 but I always listen to my body and rest when I know I need to.