Local Pizzeria Question

2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2016
    @xtina315 Yeah it seems that pizza is a lot lighter on calories here in Europe...we mostly eat thin crust with just some mozzarella and pepperoni...or ham and mushrooms or similar. I live in Finland but my home city in Croatia is about 30 min drive to Italy...so with strong italian influence that is the kind I grew up with. :)

Our pizza is extremely varied, so you can't really generalize. Some of it is much like you describe. Some of it is, well, much higher cal.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    nosajjao wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    What does that mean? You shouldn't log it? Calories don't matter?

What do you think? If you don't think eating junk food is cheating, might want to reevaluate your priorities. If you're just maintaining a weight/size, then you can handle it every now and then. But if you're trying to get in shape, it'll do nothing good for you. Especially a fast food place like Pizza the Hutt

I don't consider pizza (from chain restaurants or otherwise) junk food. I eat pizza all the time and am not having any problems getting in shape.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited April 2016
    OP, I'm with you on the NY-style pizza. I'm in Jersey, outside of Philadelphia, and we have the same style. It's like the rest of the country doesn't even know what pizza is! For the record, it is not really like any of the offerings from the major chains.

I search "NY style" or "pizzeria" and choose something that looks like a reasonable average of the results.

ETA: Sorry to any Austin peoples. You have Home Slice and that is some good pizza!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    What does that mean? You shouldn't log it? Calories don't matter?

What do you think? If you don't think eating junk food is cheating, might want to reevaluate your priorities. If you're just maintaining a weight/size, then you can handle it every now and then. But if you're trying to get in shape, it'll do nothing good for you. Especially a fast food place like Pizza the Hutt

If you break pizza down into it's components, it is: Bread
    Tomato sauce
    Oil
    Spices
    Toppings: cheese, ham, veggies,etc.

If I might ask, what in here is "junk" to you?
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    OP, I'm with you on the NY-style pizza. I'm in Jersey, outside of Philadelphia, and we have the same style. It's like the rest of the country doesn't even know what pizza is! For the record, it is not really like any of the offerings from the major chains.

I search "NY style" or "pizzeria" and choose something that looks like a reasonable average of the results.

ETA: Sorry to any Austin peoples. You have Home Slice and that is some good pizza!

Thank you. "NY" style is so different, our slices can be huge and the crust thin so its always hard trying to determine the amount of calories lol.
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Thank you all for your responses. I'm just going to over estimate and eat good for the rest of the day. My husband and I are going to walk to the restaurant because I told him it gives us quality time and helps me burn those extra calories lol
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    xtina315 wrote: »
    How do you all calculate pizza and chicken wings from a local pizzeria. My husband and I are going out for pizza and wings and I'm trying to plan accordingly. Thanks in advance.

It's junk food, so treat it like you accidentally cheated and ate junk food.

Say what?
  • Citycat2015
    Citycat2015 Posts: 86 Member
    I am looking forward to pizza and wine tonight and was wondering about how to log. I think I will use Papa Johns meat lover as it's the highest in cals I could find.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member

I don't think "junk food" is cheating because I don't think of any food as "junk". And I've lost 95 pounds and dramatically increased my physical fitness while doing so. Pizza is about a weekly thing here - I refuse to believe that having meat and tomato on a sandwich is "good" but making the bread flat and the tomato into sauce makes it "bad".
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    How do you all calculate pizza and chicken wings from a local pizzeria. My husband and I are going out for pizza and wings and I'm trying to plan accordingly. Thanks in advance.

It's junk food, so treat it like you accidentally cheated and ate junk food.

Whu?
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    edited April 2016
    rankinsect wrote: »

I don't think "junk food" is cheating because I don't think of any food as "junk". And I've lost 95 pounds and dramatically increased my physical fitness while doing so. Pizza is about a weekly thing here - I refuse to believe that having meat and tomato on a sandwich is "good" but making the bread flat and the tomato into sauce makes it "bad".

^^^ this... (lost 106lbs eating what I want to, IIFYM)
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Thank you all for your responses. I'm just going to over estimate and eat good for the rest of the day. My husband and I are going to walk to the restaurant because I told him it gives us quality time and helps me burn those extra calories lol

What a lovely way to earn that pizza! Enjoy!