HELP 1200 calories + exercising and I'm still gaining weight :(

2»

Replies

• brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Ah, good old MFP. OP posts 1 post, doesn't come back, and the whole thread turns into a debate about the starvation myth... same old, same old.

Right?? Geez. Must be a few new members spouting the starvation mode crap. I feel like I haven't seen it in a while!
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Ah, good old MFP. OP posts 1 post, doesn't come back, and the whole thread turns into a debate about the starvation myth... same old, same old.

Right?? Geez. Must be a few new members spouting the starvation mode crap. I feel like I haven't seen it in a while!

I used to say starvation mode too, I can't throw too many rocks. :sweat: I learnt!
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Starvation mode really makes me want to bang my head against a wall.

Like, eat more, since you're already eating too much, and you'll magically lose... because science.
  • vcdoering
    vcdoering Posts: 6 Member
    I am 61 years old and I have been using the fitness pal for about 45 days and have only lost 5 pounds. I have not lost since the 1st week or so. I eat a 1200 calorie diet and log everything. I am trying to lose about 10 more lbs. I exercise about 3-4 times a week with a circuit training at the local gym and I try to walk 10K steps a day but that doesn't always happen. It ends up that I do that about 3 times a week and aver about 5k the rest of the week. when it gives me extra calories to eat I am afraid to eat those calories. I also use a fit bit with it. What can I do differently since the fitness pal says everyday if you continue this routine you will be at ... lbs which would be my goal. However getting discouraged since I haven't lost any for about a month.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    vcdoering wrote: »
    I am 61 years old and I have been using the fitness pal for about 45 days and have only lost 5 pounds. I have not lost since the 1st week or so. I eat a 1200 calorie diet and log everything. I am trying to lose about 10 more lbs. I exercise about 3-4 times a week with a circuit training at the local gym and I try to walk 10K steps a day but that doesn't always happen. It ends up that I do that about 3 times a week and aver about 5k the rest of the week. when it gives me extra calories to eat I am afraid to eat those calories. I also use a fit bit with it. What can I do differently since the fitness pal says everyday if you continue this routine you will be at ... lbs which would be my goal. However getting discouraged since I haven't lost any for about a month.

@vcdoering - Are you using a food scale?
  • vcdoering
    yes I am using a food scale
  • shadow2soul
    Have you been to a doctor to see if you have any medical issues that may be affecting your metabolism?

Are you using any " Homemade " entries from the database?
  • vcdoering
    I have been to dr and have no medical issues and take no meds . I use homemade as it is needed when else should I be using homemade or should I not use homemade
  • shadow2soul
    I have been to dr and have no medical issues and take no meds . I use homemade as it is needed when else should I be using homemade or should I not use homemade

If you make a homemade dish, you should use the recipe builder and add each of the ingredients to get an accurate calorie count.

Homemade entries in the database can be highly inaccurate since they are user created. You don't know if the person who made the entry used the same ingredients in the same amounts as you did and you don't know if they put in the correct information for what they used either.

You have to be very careful when picking entries out of the database, since most entries come from other users. I know there is a shredded chicken entry that the calories are way off (only like 1/3 of what they should be), etc.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member

You use a homemade entry when you've created it yourself with the recipe builder. Other people's homemade entries in the database will vary greatly from your own and are inaccurate.
  • vcdoering
    okay that is when I do when I make things myself . Everything else I have found in the database.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Look to your logging.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Is exercising the culprit? Are you exercising four times a week? Do you walk/jog more than 3.0 mph?
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Try looking for database entries that have a green check mark next to them. Also, you can look up accurate calorie data in the USDA database. I'm a mature woman, have been at or below my weight goal (25BMI) for over 5 years; I weigh & measure everything, work out 5+ days a week, track everything (have a Fitbit too!) & find this works well for me, vcdoering. If I gain a bit I restrict simp,e carbohydrates (bread, rice, spuds etc) & that seems to do it for me.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    If only starving African children had those magical metabolic issues that made it difficult to lose weight, eh? What a wonderful world we'd live in.