Starting c25k

appy_chick
appy_chick Posts: 27 Member
Hey!! I have been out of the running world for a few years now due to a knee injury and am starting week one day one today. If you have been thinking of startingbut haven't do it now!! Let's do this together. :) or if u have done thus and succeeded please share to help motivate me. It is so hard for me to get started....but I am trying.

Replies

• MikeAV8s
    MikeAV8s Posts: 85 Member
    C25K changed my life, literally. In early 2013 I was fat, out of shape and miserable. My wife and I started the C25K program a few weeks before the local running club started one. We wound up joining them and running our first 5K, I think my time was something like 45 minutes. Last Saturday I ran a half marathon. I still don't "love" running, but I do love how it makes me feel. Good job on getting started, it can be a life changer.
  • appy_chick
    Thanks Mike!! I ended up feeding my horses late and I didn't end up running today. Tomorrow I will be ready to take it on. Sucks that life can become busy. I am going in the am so there are NO excuses. :)
  • ralexhou82
    ralexhou82 Posts: 17 Member
    I did C25K a few years ago. I need to try it again!
  • michelle_k_314
    michelle_k_314 Posts: 15 Member
    I started C25K two weeks ago but then I hurt my knee, so I'm hoping to get back to it soon!!! I used to love running and I want to get back there.
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    I used to C25K and loved it. I highly recommend it!!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Im going to get back into it once the weather decides to get warm again(having a cold snap all of a sudden).
  • joelladc
    joelladc Posts: 7 Member
    Just started last week! Really enjoying it so far but harder than I expected for sure!
  • appy_chick
    Week 1 day 1 done. I feel great. It wasn't too hard. I can totally do this!!
  • BklynFitGuy
    BklynFitGuy Posts: 712 Member
    Alternating C25K with my lifting. So far, so good. I'm in week 4.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Planning on starting when Spring decides to kick Winter to the kerb
  • sueann10
    sueann10 Posts: 74 Member
    Hey good job on starting! I am on W3 D3 tomorrow and already excited about W4 D1 on Sunday. I am finding it a great tool so far.
  • MsArriabella
    MsArriabella Posts: 469 Member
    I'm on Week 1 Day 3, I accidentally did Week 2 Day 2 instead of Week 1 and almost died...I really need to keep at this!
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    My suggestion: Don't get upset if you can't do everything that you're told. Do your best. I was using Zombies, Run!'s version of Z5k, and I gave up in week 3 because I couldn't do everything and go frustrated. Should have just gone back and repeated the week doing as best as I could. (I've started intermittent running at my own pace, but I'm thinking about starting Z5K back up).
  • sweetdianachka
    sweetdianachka Posts: 318 Member
    I just started day 1 the day after you. It's my second time starting, the first time I got to the end of week 6 and just fell off. I also took 1 or 2 week breaks sometimes between "days" so I'm hoping to stay on track this time. Good luck, let's support each other!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited April 2016
    Afura wrote: »
    My suggestion: Don't get upset if you can't do everything that you're told. Do your best. I was using Zombies, Run!'s version of Z5k, and I gave up in week 3 because I couldn't do everything and go frustrated. Should have just gone back and repeated the week doing as best as I could. (I've started intermittent running at my own pace, but I'm thinking about starting Z5K back up).

I loved the Zombies, Run! 5K app. I actually started with the "regular" C25K when I first started running but used the ZR5K app after a few months off 2 years ago. Keep in mind when you're using it that a free form run is walking and running at a pace that works for you. And as with any C25K app, if you feel like it's too much then repeat a day or even a week. There's nothing that says that you have to progress if you aren't ready. That said, don't underestimate yourself, either.

I ended up becoming an interval runner by choice because I have friends who run that way. I've run over a dozen half marathons, and countless shorter races, using a walk/run pattern (the first was 2.5 minutes run/1 minute walk and the latest was 1 mile run/1 minute walk). Last Fall I decided I was actually going to try to run 5K without stopping for the first time and ended up running 4.5 miles before I decided to stop. It amazed me, frankly, but it was there the whole time if I'd been interested in trying it, I had just never given myself the opportunity. I still ran my two half marathons in intervals because I really just prefer it but I've done a few 5Ks without stopping since then. :smile:
  • appy_chick
    Week 1 Day 2 complete. :) not even that hard. ;) my legs are pretty sore, but overall good!!