My husband and I do not diet together well.

13»

Replies

• allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    I'm glad you are using this app to weigh & log your intake. That is a huge step in the right direction. Good for you!!
  • WA_mama2
    WA_mama2 Posts: 140 Member
    You need to see a dietician. Anyone can claim to be a nutritionist, it's not a protected medical title.

Someone who is a PA does not have proper medical training to assign a diet for someone that is hovering at 50%.

Please seek a dietitian ASAP.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    To your original question - yes, you should diet alone, if your hubby is getting a bit frustrated being your diet partner. It sounds like you're motivated to do this by yourself and that he doesn't need the restrictions, anyway.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Also, I am not whining. If you think I am, kindly *kitten* off.

What started the fight was me texting him jokingly hey, I did something bad he's like what? I said I ate a cup noodle. And he flipped. In our relationship, we always tell each other when we do something "bad" jokingly (for example, buying a bunch of video games or sleeping in until noon or whatever).

Those really are one of the most horrible things that you could possibly eat, from a nutritional standpoint.

Not to mention that they are full of palm oil, the production of which is responsible for deforestation and slavery in several parts of the world. Then there is the environmental irresponsible of the packaging...

It's really a very bad choice.

If someone I loved who was drowning due to obesity chose to eat something like that--I think that I would be beyond disappointed. The whole dynamic of telling each other when you have been "bad" doesn't seem like a great idea.

P.S. You are most definitely whining...and seriously overreacting to the opinions of people who are trying to help you. It sounds like you have a lot of growing up to do.
  • MelodyandBarbells

What started the fight was me texting him jokingly hey, I did something bad he's like what? I said I ate a cup noodle. And he flipped. In our relationship, we always tell each other when we do something "bad" jokingly (for example, buying a bunch of video games or sleeping in until noon or whatever).

Those really are one of the most horrible things that you could possibly eat, from a nutritional standpoint.

Not to mention that they are full of palm oil, the production of which is responsible for deforestation and slavery in several parts of the world. Then there is the environmental irresponsible of the packaging...

If someone I loved who was drowning due to obesity chose to eat something like that--I think that I would be beyond disappointed. The whole dynamic of telling each other when you have been "bad" doesn't seem like a great idea.

P.S. You are most definitely whining...and seriously overreacting to the opinions of people who are trying to help you. It sounds like you have a lot of growing up to do.

Because she ate noodles. Right... Sounds legit
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    edited April 2016
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Not pasta in general, cup noodles in particular. You might want to educate yourself on the issue...Nissin and Maruchan are the worst brands:

https://worldwildlife.org/magazine/issues/winter-2013/articles/use-your-noodle

http://www.alternet.org/environment/how-instant-ramen-noodles-are-destroying-rainforests-killing-orangutans-and-promoting

saynotopalmoil.com/Whats_the_issue.php

Then there is the nutrition--cup noodles are pretty much the most processed food that you could possibly eat--high in simple carbs and high in trans fats. Some brands have a day's worth of sodium in a single serving. They are not filling and do not contain significant protein, so you are going to be hungry again very soon.

It's a seriously bad choice.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    edited April 2016
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Not pasta in general, cup noodles in particular. You might want to educate yourself on the issue...Nissin and Maruchan are the worst brands:

https://worldwildlife.org/magazine/issues/winter-2013/articles/use-your-noodle

http://www.alternet.org/environment/how-instant-ramen-noodles-are-destroying-rainforests-killing-orangutans-and-promoting

saynotopalmoil.com/Whats_the_issue.php

Then there is the nutrition--cup noodles are pretty much the most processed food that you could possibly eat--high in simple carbs and high in trans fats. Some brands have a day's worth of sodium in a single serving. They are not filling and do not contain significant protein, so you are going to be hungry again very soon.

It's a seriously bad choice.

Only the individual can judge their own satiety. For me, not every single food item has to be about satiety either. It could just be I want to eat it, possibly along with something else

Strangely enough, I'm thinking none of this is why OP's husband had a cow. It wasn't on their weirdo diet so he freaked out over it. In this case, the person eating the damn noodles is the normal one, IMO
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    I know for me the reason I have been losing weight for three months is because I am no longer following a bunch of food rules. I am just eating within my calories.
    For you and your psoriasis there are obviously some other concerns about what is best for you and I am not aware of those, but not all nutritionists are actually experts on best diets for certain conditions. It is probably more a case of just some foods you should avoid. I do know my cousins husband has bad psoriasis and he certainly eats meat, but there are other foods he avoids.
  • LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    This nutritionist may be a PA but unless he additionally has a 4 year education in a dietetics BS and took the national test to become a registered dietitian, he's not a dietitian. It concerns me that he's suggesting vegan diets to people unless they REALLY want to. Going from a really unhealthy diet to a sudden "clean"(gross) diet is pretty much a setup for failure. I have a higher BMI than you do, OP, and my R.D. who I have seen in the past would never try to enforce such a drastic change on me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Wow...complicate things much?
  • yogsvr4
    yogsvr4 Posts: 149 Member
    I would definitely have it out with my wife if she made me go on a vegan diet. Its one thing to be supportive and eat better, but such a drastic dietary change would make me a grumpy old man.

FWIW: she'd never do that, she's as much a fan of bacon as anyone.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    This nutritionist may be a PA but unless he additionally has a 4 year education in a dietetics BS and took the national test to become a registered dietitian, he's not a dietitian. It concerns me that he's suggesting vegan diets to people unless they REALLY want to. Going from a really unhealthy diet to a sudden "clean"(gross) diet is pretty much a setup for failure. I have a higher BMI than you do, OP, and my R.D. who I have seen in the past would never try to enforce such a drastic change on me.

He actually didn't say vegan, OP and her spouse just decided to equate vegetable-based with vegan... Skipping over about ten levels of other legit vegetable based diets.
  • pearception
    pearception Posts: 9 Member
    LOL my fiance eats and drinks all he wants and I LOOK at food and gain weight/fat. Anyone feel free to add me for accountability.
  • HannahMCrain
    HannahMCrain Posts: 13 Member
    Ok, my nutritionist DOES endorse not eating meat or dairy. Which is vegan. But he also says if we cheat every once in a while it's not going to hurt us. Basically he doesn't like to use to word vegan because it doesn't include everything that I'm trying to cut out. For example if I try to tell someone I'm vegan they automatically try to shove tofu in my face. I get that they're trying to help, but I'm actually not supposed to have a ton of that either.

Also, azulvioleta6, seriously? I think you have some growing up to do. I ate ONE cup noodle. You are overreacting. I don't care if that disgusts you. It is one of my favorite things. I ate one in one month's time. I will not die. I will not get cancer. I hate people who are healthy (or think they are) and look down on other people because they think they are so much healthier. I continue to lose weight and have amazing blood work. So I guess I'm doing it right.

JaneiR36 Thank you! Seriously, people need to chill. "OMG, SO PROCESSED EWW" like honey I eat healthier than you 90% of the time I guarantee it. I will have a cup noodle if I please.

LavendarLeaves I would take his advise over anyone's in this thread any day of the week. I actually asked him yesterday. He has an undergrad in physiology, plus his master's to become a PA, and he has devoted "thousands of hours of independent study and research into medical nutrition therapy." He then obtained some kind of medical nutrition certification from Cornell. Most of the people on this thread who are trying to shove information down my throat probably never even went to college, and get most of their information from a two minute Google search. And my PCP also backs him up, which is why she sent me to him. Now, unless someone on this thread thinks they have MORE experience and education than my PCP and PA then I don't think you should be calling into question their background. And he didn't force me to change overnight, that was my HUSBAND. He literally gave away or threw out all of our food that didn't conform to this new diet.

Good lord. I'm about to abandon this thread. What a train wreck. Again, this is medical nutrition therapy. He thinks this will also help my autoimmune disease and give me significant weight loss, so why not give it a try?
  • HannahMCrain
    HannahMCrain Posts: 13 Member
    Also, I've decided to stick to the diet as much as possible and track my calories. The worst part about this diet isn't even not eating meat. It's dealing with people who "disagree" with my diet and want to argue about it. I have incorrect information flying at me from all sides. If anyone is curious as to what my diet is actually about, Forks Over Knives is a pretty good place to start. If someone wants to add me for motivation or encouragement, feel free. This thread is just a bummer now and mostly unhelpful.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    @hannahmattison31 I read some on the non animal eating program. As with most every diet there is validity for some at some level. The diet that works for you to give you the health marker results that you want is the right diet for you in my view. I went to the Fork Over Knives and watched the free trailer to the $11.99 movie and it was interesting.

I find my simple diet of eating <50 grams of carbs daily freaks out 99% of people if I talk to them about it. Unless I am in a mood for a non productive conversation I just do not mention my WOE. :)

The more out of the norm our Way Of Eating is the more our WOE will be attacked. Stick with FOK if you enjoy it and it gives you the results you expect. Reading post on MFP that are 180 degrees different WOE helps learn more and I do tweak my WOE when I find data that requires me to revisit my current diet. Best of success.
  • rj488
    rj488 Posts: 2 Member
    DavPul wrote: »
    Go see a better nutritionist because the one you have sounds TERRIBLE

• allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Also, I've decided to stick to the diet as much as possible and track my calories. The worst part about this diet isn't even not eating meat. It's dealing with people who "disagree" with my diet and want to argue about it. I have incorrect information flying at me from all sides. If anyone is curious as to what my diet is actually about, Forks Over Knives is a pretty good place to start. If someone wants to add me for motivation or encouragement, feel free. This thread is just a bummer now and mostly unhelpful.

Sorry this thread has taken a downward spiral for you. OMG so sorry. Welcome to the nastiness of the forums!

I am glad you are tracking your calories. That's a huge, huge step in the right direction. I hope you check out this information....when I started, I wished i had had this info in front of me. Very valuable.

Pretty much the first post on this (I think the actual thread is around 33pages). First post has links, too. Very helpful.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • MermaidAmanda10
    MermaidAmanda10 Posts: 63 Member
    Why do you have to go completely vegan? A whole foods, plant based diet does not necessarily mean vegan, it just means that most of your foods should be. Think something around 80/20% (80% whole foods, 20% anything else.) I get how you want to be healthier, but it doesn't have to be all or nothing. Take baby steps. Start with one meal a day, and gradually expand it. You need to make changes you can stick with and that make you feel better, physically and mentally.

Exactly this.

• MermaidAmanda10
    MermaidAmanda10 Posts: 63 Member
    Check out thinner in thirty by Jenna wolfe