SO ASHAMED TO WORK OUT IN FRONT OF MEN

124»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member
    When I struggled with these types of feelings and anxiety I would make sure to avoid peak hours at the gym - the morning was the best for me. Try going in the morning if you can. Mind over matter - you can do this. Good luck.

Ya, I go the hour before close. I'm usually the only woman in the free weight section, and sometimes the only person there.
  • blpasquarella
    blpasquarella Posts: 57 Member
    My game plan for this is as follows: wear a baseball cap and turn your favorite music up!! It can be super intimidating lifting among a bunch of macho bros, but the more you look around, the more you'll realize that most men have no idea what they are doing! ;) (And the ones who are serious are probably too concerned with their own form to notice yours.)
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    I found it intimidating the first half dozen times. A little less so each time. The men are focused on their own workout and are more concerned with how they stack up to other men. They won't bother you. Go in with a plan of what you're going to do. You'll be fine.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    I've been going to the gym off and on for 10+ years, and can only think of a handful of times when anyone has said anything to me. I guess it's not the same for everyone, but that's been my experience.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    You do you.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Chubby lady chiming in :)

I started at 330+ lbs, and felt so disgusted with myself. Going to the gym the first several times was absolutely painful. I wore sweat shirts to try to hide myself, and was so hot while working out because of it. I'm down 75, and still get self conscious sometimes. Today was my first day in the free weights section, and I was intimated! Halfway through, I heard two men talking about my form, and that it was great, and they were really impressed since I'd just said I was a newb. While the compliments are not at all important, it may help to consider that other people are generally more positive than we give them credit for.

It's okay to be embarrassed, ashamed, intimated, nervous, whatever. The important thing is that you push past those negative feelings and just work towards your goals! You will definitely become comfortable, once you test the limits of your comfort zone.

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Mike02209 wrote: »
    Not sure where, but I recently saw something along the lines of:

Making fun of a fat person at the gym is like making fun of an unemployed person at a job fair.

Love this! I was going to add that, when I see overweight people at the gym, I'm actually super happy for them, because I know how hard it is to make those changes, and I know how self-conscious it can make you feel. I would never approach someone and tell them that, because I know it could make them even more self-conscious, but I'm cheering them on from a distance!
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    I have extreme gym anxiety as well, so I definitely sympathize. I can't say that I have overcome it either. I will just not go by myself. Now I'm not just avoiding the weight room, but I haven't been able to make myself go in for Zumba, which I know is fun & that I really like--so it's a problem.

I used to go to the weight room with my husband & for a while we hired a trainer & I would work out with her. For the longest time my husband was working on finishing his dissertation & holding down a job, so he didn't have time to go to the gym. When I looked at the cost of hiring a trainer to be my gym security blanket, it was more cost effective to buy a rack, weights, & a bench to set up at home. I also have 2 teenagers in the house with extreme anxiety (they are already in therapy) as well, so the equipment won't go to waste.

If you don't have the room for your own equipment, I would make a big effort to find someone that will go with you. That made all the difference in my comfort level. For me, I don't even think it's that I think everyone is looking at me. I know they're not. I just don't know what the problem is & I am looking for a therapist because it's ridiculous.