Is using an elliptical in a challenge cheating? (Also posted on the Fitbit community page)

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    I would say with no or low resistance the elliptical will be much easier to get "steps" in, as there is little to no resistance, making strides easier and faster than walking, so in a way cheating. If you set the machine to maximum resistance then it would be harder than walking and you would be cheating yourself out of steps.
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Ehh I'm on the fence about this. The elliptical isn't really walking/running, but the fitbit doesn't know the difference so it counts the steps. But to blow up a friendship over it? Poo-poo to them.

I once had my mother-in-law challenge me to a daily showdown just so she could rub it in my face that she had nearly 20,000 steps that day. Turns out she was sitting in a rocking chair and her fitbit counted every time she rocked back and forth. Being a competitive person (and knowing she averages around 5k steps daily) I got a tad flustered, but after 10 seconds or so I realized the hilarity of it and we all had a good laugh.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    I take part in challenges with my Fitbit friends all the time and use the elliptical. I actually find I end up with fewer steps than when using the treadmill or walking outside. Clearly this 'friend' is just too competitive for their own good.
  • KombuchaKat
    KombuchaKat Posts: 134 Member
    It seems ridiculous to get upset about this, whether it's cheating or not. I would say just establish whether or not it counts for the next challenge and no harm no fowl this time. I sounds like a weight off your shoulders to be rid of this person in the end.
  • lacey3850
    lacey3850 Posts: 63 Member
    edited April 2016
    I don't see a problem with an elliptical at all! I do these challenges all the time. Im more of a runner but if someone were doing anything other than walking or running to get their steps I'm behind them 100 percent! My friends motorcycle was calculating his steps and I did get a little upset over that because he continues to wear it to try and beat me. That is unfair because I bust my *kitten* to win!! He told me I was taking to too serious and perhaps I was but now he won't do the challenges but we remain great friends!

Hopefully your friend can get over this! If your friend can't get over it, you don't need someone like that in your life! :)

I'm going to test out the elliptical now just to compare!
  • carlapendergrass
    carlapendergrass Posts: 42 Member
    It's not cheating, and this person is/was not your friend. Let it go and move on.
  • jennycreative1
    jennycreative1 Posts: 8 Member
    I got fewer steps in 30 minutes on the elliptical than I did on the treadmill. It's just that there were no treadmills available when I got to the gym, so I got on the elliptical. Once the treadmills opened up, I jumped on that. I also walked, boxed, jump-roped like crazy. I also went to Target and got another 1000 steps pushing a grocery cart and shopping. The elliptical was WAY harder than that.

Oh well, the person won in the end. It's too bad that the person is a sore winner.
    And no, they can't get over it.
    After a long talk with husband, it's agreed that I can't have them in my life anymore. It's for the best. If it wasn't this, it would have been something else. I hurts, but I'll get over it.

Thanks for the opinions.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    I've used 2 arm based pedometers and compared them to a hip based pedometer using the elliptical. The arm base were always 1500 to 2000 steps behind, so if you were cheating, you were probably just cheating yourself out of some steps.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    I've used 2 arm based pedometers and compared them to a hip based pedometer using the elliptical. The arm base were always 1500 to 2000 steps behind, so if you were cheating, you were probably just cheating yourself out of some steps.

^^exactly this, even Fit Bit will tell you that all your steps do not get counted on the elliptical. Same thing when you are pushing around a shopping cart, at least for the wrist fit bits.
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Oh well, the person won in the end. It's too bad that the person is a sore winner.
    After a long talk with husband, it's agreed that I can't have them in my life anymore. It's for the best. If it wasn't this, it would have been something else. I hurts, but I'll get over it.

If they are THAT competitive, it's time to get a Garmin, toe the line, and start actually racing. I had no idea there was that much drama in fitbit groups. :neutral:
  • jlserrano905
    jlserrano905 Posts: 3 Member
    bagge72 wrote: »
    I have found that you get way more steps on the elliptical, hence the guy above who gets over 10,000 steps with an hour on the elliptical. I would say it is cheating.

I think it really depends on the machine. I have a mid quality machine in the $1500 range but it only counts about 90% of what I get in 30 minutes vs walking and that's with my step counter on my shoe. The only advantages I see with an elliptical is that it's A- indoors and B- your stride is consistent.

Other than that it sounds like the challenge rules were not clearly stated. No need for you to get upset but it sounds like you should look for a less angry friend.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    gdyment wrote: »

If they are THAT competitive, it's time to get a Garmin, toe the line, and start actually racing. I had no idea there was that much drama in fitbit groups. :neutral:

Is it fair to use running steps in a step challenge? I noticed the new Garmin I was wanting to get counts steps too and I assume it will include steps that occurred during a run? Would that be fair?
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    I also get less steps on an elliptical - maybe 70% of what I would get walking. However, sometimes I don't feel like running, and my main focus is to burn calories and not just get steps. I don't think it's cheating at all.
  • 20yearsyounger
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

Is it fair to use running steps in a step challenge? I noticed the new Garmin I was wanting to get counts steps too and I assume it will include steps that occurred during a run? Would that be fair?

I think it's fair. There are some people who don't run and kick my butt all the time even if I'm running half marathons.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member

I think it's fair. There are some people who don't run and kick my butt all the time even if I'm running half marathons.

I also wonder how that will affect my calorie goals. I have my lifestyle as sedentary so I add calories from running back in. If this adds in steps as well wouldn't this be double-dipping to some extent? I'm not sure how that would work out or if Garmin only syncs specific things.
  • 20yearsyounger

I also wonder how that will affect my calorie goals. I have my lifestyle as sedentary so I add calories from running back in. If this adds in steps as well wouldn't this be double-dipping to some extent? I'm not sure how that would work out or if Garmin only syncs specific things.

I wear a fitbit and a Garmin - not interested in the races but I like the challenges. This is what happens with me

When I run with Garmin it creates a running activity and calculates the calories for that. It also know how many steps I took during the run and removes that from the calculations for calories from walking. So it doesn't double dip for me. I know some people have had issues with more advanced models if they don't follow the right steps.

That run also gets sent to MFP/Fitbit which overwrites the calories I would have gained from Fitbit walking steps but it keeps the fitbit steps.

So in MFP I get the run activity as one line and the additional calorie adjustment from Garmin excluding the run on another line (I chose to use the Garmin versus Fitbit adjustment)

So all in all it works out (at least for me).
  • slinke2014
    slinke2014 Posts: 149 Member
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Since we have absolutely no idea what the challenge is, how should we know?

it'd be a step challenge. Who can get the most amount of steps over the weekend.

Op I didn't think the elliptical picked up steps very well??
    If this person wants to end your friendship over this, then I say good riddance!!

right?? sounds like someone who is a sore loser. Elliptical counts towards steps for sure. fitbit picks it up fine if you use the kind that makes you swing your arms or you put your fit pit in your pocket.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    FFS why are people so mean? Fitbit is supposed to be a fun way of getting motivated.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member

I wear a fitbit and a Garmin - not interested in the races but I like the challenges. This is what happens with me

When I run with Garmin it creates a running activity and calculates the calories for that. It also know how many steps I took during the run and removes that from the calculations for calories from walking. So it doesn't double dip for me. I know some people have had issues with more advanced models if they don't follow the right steps.

That run also gets sent to MFP/Fitbit which overwrites the calories I would have gained from Fitbit walking steps but it keeps the fitbit steps.

So in MFP I get the run activity as one line and the additional calorie adjustment from Garmin excluding the run on another line (I chose to use the Garmin versus Fitbit adjustment)

So all in all it works out (at least for me).

I use a Garmin and a fitbit, too - the fitbit 24/7 and the Garmin ONLY for runs. I used to manually adjust the Garmin "calories burned" because I thought I was double-dipping, but I've noticed that MFP seems to adjust the fitbit calories to account for it, so there's no double-dip. I'm not sure precisely how it does it, but it takes the Garmin "exercise calories" first, and then looks to the fitbit "steps" separately, and reducing them. If I have a Garmin run that day, it seems to have a much higher threshold for fitbit calories.

For example, yesterday afternoon, I had 96 "exercise" calories earned from my fitbit alone. Then I went for a run, with my Garmin, and after my Garmin synced, MFP recalculated everything, giving me ALL of my Garmin calories from my run (235) and ZERO fitbit calories.

I don't get the algorithm, but I don't care. It seems to work out pretty well - and I trust the Garmin calories way more than the fitbit ones, anyway.