I'm addicted to ..... add yours

Replies

• HStheBusyBee
    HStheBusyBee Posts: 1,366 Member
    Cups of tea :heart:
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    perkymommy wrote: »
    I'm not "addicted" to anything since addiction means you have a dependency on something (usually drugs). But I do like to have a few pringles and/or shelled peanuts every day. I can do without but they are my go-to snacks.

Having had some training in drug and alcohol counseling back when I was working clinically, it seems that on this board that we confuse the concepts of "addiction" and "chemical dependence."

Addiction: A compulsion to consume something or engage in some activity that is so strong that the individual will repeat the behavior despite serious negative consequences to health and/or well being. An addiction does not necessarily have to have a physical component. (Gambling addiction, for example, is a very real addiction.)

Dependency: Dependency is characterized by two things: 1) a tendency to develop tolerance and, therefore, requiring more and more of the substance to achieve the desired effect; and 2) the presence of withdrawal symptoms when the person stops using the substance. Sometimes the withdrawal symptoms can be very severe (i.e. benzodiazepines), and at other times they can be reasonably mild (i.e. caffeine headaches).

A person can be addicted AND dependent, of course. But people can be addicted to things where a chemical dependency is not present.

That all being said, I think the OP was using "addiction" colloquially to refer to foods one tends to really crave whether or not an actual addiction is present. I do think some people can be addicted to certain foods in the clinical sense-at least according to the definition I was taught.

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/principles-drug-addiction-treatment-research-based-guide-third-edition/frequently-asked-questions/there-difference-between-physical-dependence
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Ice cream I could eat this for every meal
    Pizza
    Kraft Vinaigrette Parmesan Pesto (so good on vegetables)
  • livelovebbg
    livelovebbg Posts: 45 Member
    Peanut butter. I'm proud to say I've kicked my habit of eating spoonfulls out of the jar. Has anyone ever eaten their calorie allowance in Peanut Butter? I have!
  • Lewisg51
    Lewisg51 Posts: 220 Member
    Cool doritos with mild dip..
    Every week lol
  • finneyjason218
    finneyjason218 Posts: 166 Member
    almost none of these are real addictions... I'm sure that was the point, but still
  • ChrisR0se
    ChrisR0se Posts: 1,855 Member
    Makeup, wontons and boys
  • Kyaface
    Kyaface Posts: 17 Member
    Rice cakes
    Peanut butter
    Chicken
    Fish
    Crunchy oat bars
  • jenmsu83
    jenmsu83 Posts: 185 Member
    Coffee and wine....hate spending the calories on them but still do!
  • lee0079
    lee0079 Posts: 8 Member
    Kashi cereal, I have sat down and ate two whole boxes before.
  • SuperheroSadie
    SuperheroSadie Posts: 167 Member
    Tabasco Slim Jims. Really. Also Mike & Ikes. And pasta. Granted, I'll always be addicted to pasta. I refuse to give it up :tongue:
  • Soy_K
    Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
    coffeee
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Halo Top Birthday Cake flavor
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Sugar. Right now it's in the form of marshmallow fluff. I'll sprinkle some ground cinnamon in the container and just eat a bunch of it directly. Soooo good. Fortunately, it's low fat, and only 40 cals/serving, so I'll eat maybe 6-8 tbs before I guilt myself into stopping...
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    , I think the OP was using "addiction" colloquially to refer to foods one tends to really crave whether or not an actual addiction is present.

No kidding, and it's incredibly obnoxious because it trivializes life-destroying problems, but *tee-hee* I sure like chocolate!
  • Tinkerbell228
    Tinkerbell228 Posts: 19 Member
    Top ones-
    Chocolate: icecream, shake, candy
    Sushi: unagi, saki
    Strawberries
    Zoi yogurt with honey
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Thomas Banana Bread English muffins... Ugh :|
  • kelseymallen
    kelseymallen Posts: 85 Member
    Apple cinnamon rice cakes
  • Erin1082
    Erin1082 Posts: 25 Member
    Cottage cheese. 4% small curd and I'm extremely picky on brand. Lol. I used to eat crap and since I've been dieting this is my new favorite food!