Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Saturated Fat was never 'uncool' we now read.

Options
GaleHawkins
GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
edited April 2016 in Debate Club
cbc.ca/news/health/saturated-fat-diet-heart-hypothesis-1.3532509

"We were able to find that actually those that lowered their cholesterol more actually had increased rather than reduced risk of death," Ramsden said in an interview. "It was surprising."

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    From the referenced research article http://www.bmj.com/content/353/bmj.i1246, the only conclusion I see is that the original experiment is pretty much not acceptable with today's standards.
    This was not random population, but restricted to nursing homes and mentally ill hospitalised patients (so not at all close to the average person's lifestyle), the reported increased mortality was often associated to heavy smoking and drinking, and natural saturated fats like butter were replaced with corn oil and margarine (which are certainly not the sources of fat drs recommend), resulting in a diet with a unusually high linoleic acid but also probably trans fat. And since the author mentions he cannot recover the original data, he pretty much admits that no certain conclusions can be drawn for the general population.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    From the referenced research article http://www.bmj.com/content/353/bmj.i1246, the only conclusion I see is that the original experiment is pretty much not acceptable with today's standards.
    This was not random population, but restricted to nursing homes and mentally ill hospitalised patients (so not at all close to the average person's lifestyle), the reported increased mortality was often associated to heavy smoking and drinking, and natural saturated fats like butter were replaced with corn oil and margarine (which are certainly not the sources of fat drs recommend), resulting in a diet with a unusually high linoleic acid but also probably trans fat. And since the author mentions he cannot recover the original data, he pretty much admits that no certain conclusions can be drawn for the general population.

Unfortunately, the idea that vegetable oil high in omega 6 should be avoided/limited hasn't reached the mainstream yet.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I wonder when this will actually be accepted as mainstream? I eat a lot of fats, mostly saturated and monounsaturated, and I get comments from many about how fat is bad for me quite often if they are aware of how I eat. They can't believe fat doesn't make you fat.