Is it weird or illegal to go into a large hotel just to use their staircase for exercise?

I know this is weird... Lol but, I live in a very small town and the only building within 30min of my home that is larger than 2 stories is a 8 story Marriott. Im trying to keep all my exercise indoors due to my ridiculous allergies. Walmart is great for walking laps but I would like to also find a place where I can climb some stairs. And like I said, the Marriott is seriously the only building in town that might be a potential option. This hotel is absolutely huge and I really think I could probably walk right in, find the stairwell and go at it without anyone even noticing. But, if I start doing it regularly, I'm sure the employees would notice and wonder what in the world of doing. I certainly don't wanna be suspicious or get in any trouble. So, is this weird? Do other people do this? Any suggestions? Thanks for your time!

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Wouldn't be illegal in my state unless they had trespassed you off the property and you came back. NOTE: State laws vary.

Would it be weird? Sorry. Yes. Buy a stair-climber. See if you can find one cheap on Craigslist.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Maybe just check in at the front desk and let them know so if anyone is monitoring the security cameras they're not calling the cops on you! :)
  • blueeyez939
    blueeyez939 Posts: 35 Member
    Alright, so it seems like the thing to do is just go to the front desk and ask the managers permission and then just say something to front desk every time I show up? I really don't care if people think I'm "the weird lady that climbs the stairs" lmao I am definitely more concerned that they will think I'm some kinda weirdo because it's so suspicious to go to the stairwell they may think I'm scoping the place out to do something bad or something.... Thanks for your input everyone!
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    If the hotel turns out to be a bust maybe try making your own "stairs" at home, a sturdy box that you can step up onto and down - you could even do that while watching tv :)
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    No gym with a stair machine?
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Definitely ask the manager. The hotel will have liability insurance that would cover employees & guests, but it may be a problem having someone who is neither using the facility, especially if its possible to injure yourself, like it might be using the stairs for exercise. Might be better to make your own step.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited April 2016
    If the hotel is mean... Parking garages. Stadium bleachers.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited April 2016
    If they give you resistance, offer to deliver room service at no extra charge. :#
  • Sweetiepiestef
    Sweetiepiestef Posts: 344 Member
    Can you go to a mall and climb the stairs or something more public?
  • skinnybythanksgiving
    skinnybythanksgiving Posts: 159 Member
    rileyes wrote: »

Yes! Stadium bleachers are awesome and you get to be outside in fresh air.
  • InsipidDime
    InsipidDime Posts: 125 Member
    Why not buy a step stool and do it at home?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    rileyes wrote: »

Yes! Stadium bleachers are awesome and you get to be outside in fresh air.

The OP is avoiding being outside due to allergies.
  • blueeyez939
    blueeyez939 Posts: 35 Member
    All great ideas guys, except some of you missed the part where I mentioned I live in such a small town that the only building larger than 2 story is this one and only giant hotel lol there is no mall, parking garage, or anything like that here.... Even our hospital is single story lol the idea here is to get outta the house but not actually be outside. Turns out, not such an easy task in a small town.... Maybe I'll stick to just being the weird lady who walks laps around Walmart.... Lol
  • Camish911
    Camish911 Posts: 150 Member
    edited April 2016
    To all the people saying use a stair climber or a step stool/box at home... part of my motivation for taking the stairs is the stair counter on my Fitbit. Fitbit doesn't count stairs on a stair climber or a box. It works on air pressure. That requires actually going up stairs.

And is it weird to go to a hotel to climb the stairs? Perhaps, but I've probably weirded out my neighbors by walking up the stairs by my apartment over and over again. No worries!