What's your best little tip that has helped you?

Replies

• TnZMom
    TnZMom Posts: 222 Member
    I eat something every hour from 7am to 2pm. Usually fruit or vegetables. Get the nutrients in early, plus staves off cravings. Stops me from eating a huge lunch.
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 422 Member
    Mine is doing fruit punch crystal light at dinner. Helped me curb my cravings for sweets.

I also enjoy a fiber one brownie in the evening.

My husband has lost a lot of weight doing this as well with the crystal light kinds of drinks. His favorites are the tang and lemonade and he crushes ice and makes his drink and loves it. I do too but sometimes they seem a bit too sweet for me. He uses those little containers that you squirt the syrup into water.

• Losewtforlife4him
    weighing all solids with food scale

I'm curious. Do you feel it's more accurate than measuring or counting out chips for example?
  • Losewtforlife4him
    perkymommy wrote: »
    I LOVE Skinny Pop popcorn. I used to derail at the end of my work day on my long ride home. Now, I have 1- 100 calorie bag of Skinny Pop every day on my way home. This satisfies my urge for munching on the way home and keeps me from devouring everything in sight once I get home.

I like skinny pop! I also buy the boom chicka pop lightly sweetened popcorn.

What helps me the most is faithfully measuring and weighing my foods.

I love the Walmart brand popcorn like this that's like 74 calories for 2 cups! I love the white cheddar popcorn and the sea salt. So yummy and I measure mine out in a baggie for work, snack in the evening. Great idea!!

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Sometimes I buy myself toys to motivate myself to exercise more. Example: I got a sweet carbon fiber handlebar, now I need to go ride some rough pavement and enjoy how comfy they are.

Oh, wait, this isn't the confessions thread.

I need new grips...and gloves. Thanks for the reminder.

I don't have any life-changing tips. I just like to make sure I have a little treat that fits into my calories each day. (Small serving of ice cream or a fun size candy bar or a cookie - whatever.) Weight loss and maintenance aren't about deprivation and punishment. I refuse to be miserable. :)
  • popova_yu
    popova_yu Posts: 1 Member
    I use soy sauce instead of oil or mayonnaise based sauce whenever possible. I also quit drinking beer, and instead go for wine. The preferred drink change created huge impact not just in calorie amount, but also in lifestyle.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Pre-log your meals for the day, and stick to just those foods.. It helps mentally prepare youself for when you may feel hungry
  • lynette4
    lynette4 Posts: 62 Member
    I LOVE ice cream. And if I keep it out of the house I will binge on it the next time I get some. Soooooo I always have some in the house and I have a weighed out serving every evening. I make sure to put it in a small cup so it actually looks like it is over flowing. lol. It helps me throughout the day to keep from eating other sweets because I know that ice cream is headed my way. I always just go ahead and put it in my calories in the morning so that way I can work around it :)
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    Fairysoul wrote: »
    I do that too!
    valente347 wrote: »
    When I don't feel like working out I'll tell myself it's ok just to go easy or finish early. Once I get started though, I usually do the whole routine. :)

I do that too too!!
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    We get goodies at work constantly. I know which ones are worth it (red velvet bundt cake from Nothing Bundt Cakes) and what aren't (Starbucks....ever). I allow myself the things that I KNOW are worth it (only if I want it at the time. Lot's of times I don't even want sweets).

Also, drinking sparkling water with dinner instead of a beer. I never used to drink sparkling water but I now find it's very refreshing with a meal!
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    pgray007 wrote: »
    I love the French/Italian tradition of an afternoon coffee. I used to snack around 2-4pm and instead have a nice big cup 'o joe and it fills me up at a cost of 2 calories.

I've also started doing a lot of mental visualization, particularly during exercise. When I'm doing a hard workout and feel like quitting I visualize crossing the finish line with a new personal record and hearing the crowd cheering, or even just visualize getting up in the morning and stepping on the scale and hitting my goal weight... What will the scale look like, how will I feel, etc.

I do something like this when I am at 14 incline and 14 resistance on the elliptical. I'm dying, but I watch my thighs and visualize them being smaller -- in my two sizes down jeans.
  • worsthorse
    worsthorse Posts: 73 Member
    sounds weird but... when i brush and floss my teeth after dinner, i don't fall prey to the late night snacking demon about ninety-five percent of the time. it serves as a reminder that i am done eating for the day. plus who wants to re-floss and brush at night? ;)
  • worsthorse
    worsthorse Posts: 73 Member
    When grocery shopping, I buy my produce last. It helps me refocus on making better food choices and reconsider some of the junk that found it's way into my cart. I usually end up unloading some unhealthy treat and then I make a bee line for the register.

*laugh* i buy my produce first so my cart is full of the good stuff. not as much room for the not-so-good stuff plus i have to put the bag of chips on top of carrots and so on, which gives me pause.

another shopping strategy: i always always shop from a list that i've made at home because i am much less likely to buy donuts if they aren't on the list. ;)
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    I would say be honest with yourself, be patient and have someone that you understands what you are doing and can talk to you about it.
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    edited April 2016
    joobey wrote: »
    weighing all solids with food scale

I'm curious. Do you feel it's more accurate than measuring or counting out chips for example?

@joobey https://youtube.com/watch?v=XpHykP6e_Uk most definitely. (I don't know how to embed a video in here)

Especially with things like chips: it says 10 chips on the package, are those the big chips, the medium chips, a little pile of crumbs? There's no way to accurately judge. But you can know exactly what is a serving if you weigh them (using grams)
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    I keep some pudding cups on hand for a nice little dessert. I also suck on a Werther's candy if I just want a little something sweet.

I'm also pulling out some older clothes that were tighter and using them as inspiration. I have a few things I've hung onto that I loved and I'm looking forward to wearing them again soon!
  • mattb714
    mattb714 Posts: 11 Member
    I eat a lower calorie popcorn at night. It helps me feel like I'm getting a high volume of (snack) food, but also not costing many calories. I also snack on raw vegetables during the day and it has the same effect.

For exercise, I use my phone to watch Netflix while using an elliptical. It keeps me from focusing on how much time I have left until I'm done.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Buy a food scale.
  • Officially_Rosey
    Officially_Rosey Posts: 73 Member
    mattb714 wrote: »
    For exercise, I use my phone to watch Netflix while using an elliptical. It keeps me from focusing on how much time I have left until I'm done.

^Yep this is definitely a good tip :smile: For me, watching Youtube videos on my phone helps pass the time so that I don't focus on how tired and sore I'm getting.
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    lynette4 wrote: »
    I LOVE ice cream. And if I keep it out of the house I will binge on it the next time I get some. Soooooo I always have some in the house and I have a weighed out serving every evening. I make sure to put it in a small cup so it actually looks like it is over flowing. lol. It helps me throughout the day to keep from eating other sweets because I know that ice cream is headed my way. I always just go ahead and put it in my calories in the morning so that way I can work around it :)

If you LOVE ice cream, you should try arctic zero. The stuff is amazing and you can eat a full pint of the vanilla for 150 calories. I always do vanilla and add some fun toppings. They have a website, instagram etc. Check them out!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!