Gluten intolerant?

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Pinkylee77 wrote: »
    true Celiac disease is best diagnosed by a biopsy of the small bowel. The blood work will can tell if you have some of the markers or an elevated titer. Depending on how high those levels are then the doc will decide if you need the biopsy. A co-worked had some elevated levels but not high enough for Celiac but high enough for the doc to recommend a gluten free diet.

Same with me. Blood work showed elevated levels, got a biopsy, showed irritation, but not enough to be conclusive of celiac, but enough for the dr to tell me to lay off of the gluten (and most starches) as they give me additional distress.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    true Celiac disease is best diagnosed by a biopsy of the small bowel. The blood work will can tell if you have some of the markers or an elevated titer. Depending on how high those levels are then the doc will decide if you need the biopsy. A co-worked had some elevated levels but not high enough for Celiac but high enough for the doc to recommend a gluten free diet.

Same with me. Blood work showed elevated levels, got a biopsy, showed irritation, but not enough to be conclusive of celiac, but enough for the dr to tell me to lay off of the gluten (and most starches) as they give me additional distress.

how are you feeling? My friend is feeling better.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Best way to find out is to eliminate gluten from your diet for a few weeks and see if you notice a difference in your symptoms

Only problem with this is there is a huge placebo effect.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member

how are you feeling? My friend is feeling better.

Much better! I also am not taking the three daily indigestion pills anymore. If I eat something that doesn't agree with me, I immediately have to take a pill and have pain for at least a day, so it's worth avoiding for me. :)
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    I don't think there is anyone here who doubts that gluten intolerance is real.

Except perhaps the researcher who first proposed its existence, but on further review found that it probably didn't.

Analyzing the data, Gibson found that each treatment diet, whether it included gluten or not, prompted subjects to report a worsening of gastrointestinal symptoms to similar degrees. Reported pain, bloating, nausea, and gas all increased over the baseline low-FODMAP diet. Even in the second experiment, when the placebo diet was identical to the baseline diet, subjects reported a worsening of symptoms! The data clearly indicated that a nocebo effect, the same reaction that prompts some people to get sick from wind turbines and wireless internet, was at work here.

http://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2014/05/gluten_sensitivity_may_not_exist.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23648697

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,515 Member
    Also -- I've been reading lately that a lot of "gluten free" foods (i.e. pastas and breads) have way more sugar than their gluten counterparts! I'm very careful to read labels on all gluten-free products now!

This is why I generally try to avoid packaged gluten-free foods, a lot of them are mostly junk. Though, I do like having the option if I ever do want the occasional plate of pasta or what not, I just don't make those types of food part of my daily WOE.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Gluten free is not a weight loss diet but for those that can not tolerate gluten being able to have pasta or bread makes the life style much easier
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I don't think there is anyone here who doubts that gluten intolerance is real.

Except perhaps the researcher who first proposed its existence, but on further review found that it probably didn't.

Analyzing the data, Gibson found that each treatment diet, whether it included gluten or not, prompted subjects to report a worsening of gastrointestinal symptoms to similar degrees. Reported pain, bloating, nausea, and gas all increased over the baseline low-FODMAP diet. Even in the second experiment, when the placebo diet was identical to the baseline diet, subjects reported a worsening of symptoms! The data clearly indicated that a nocebo effect, the same reaction that prompts some people to get sick from wind turbines and wireless internet, was at work here.

http://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2014/05/gluten_sensitivity_may_not_exist.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23648697

That's interesting stuff, thanks.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member

My levels were so high that no biopsy was required. It took almost a year off gluten to get them into the normal range and my kidney function is still not in the normal range after 5 years. (I test again next month...hoping for normal finally)
  • HeathBro
    HeathBro Posts: 7 Member
    I recently developed a case of laryngitis and while waiting on an ENT appointment, did some research and decided to give up gluten. 3 weeks later, after 2 months of having very little voice, my voice is 90% better.

Beyond the voice i'm noticing i'm not falling asleep in the middle of the day, my stomach is flatter, my skin is better and I feel better overall. I have been purchasing quite a few GF products as of late, that I should probably cut back on. But man Udis GF white bread is DELICIOUS!!
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Best way to find out is to eliminate gluten from your diet for a few weeks and see if you notice a difference in your symptoms

Only problem with this is there is a huge placebo effect.

Well, if a placebo works to get rid of a migraine, perfect! Better than pills!
  • Martha6010
    Martha6010 Posts: 82 Member
    Hi. Im gluten intolerant I get hives achy body gas tummyaches. I avoid gluten and all is good. Looking for friends with gluten intolerance for support & food ideas.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    I'm curious if anyone who is simply "gluten intolerant" has been diagnosed by a medical doctor. Not a homeopath, naturepath or chiropractor?
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    I'm curious if anyone who is simply "gluten intolerant" has been diagnosed by a medical doctor. Not a homeopath, naturepath or chiropractor?

Why are you curious? How does this effect you in any way?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited May 2016
    I'm gluten intolerant too (No soy or milk. No nitrates/sulfites or nuts either). My doc suggested an elimination diet to isolate the cause. No test is necessary, self diagnosis is the way to go because the treatment is the same.

I found in the transition I relied on packaged products. But as I became more aware of the poor nutrition, I replaced it with better choices. But if you want a burger, it's nice to have the GF option!

Dont worry about the naysayers. Good luck!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited May 2016
    MissusMoon wrote: »

eh, nvm. Not worth it.
  • Martha6010
    Martha6010 Posts: 82 Member
    I know I'm gluten intolorant. I stopped eating dairy and still broke out in hives then stopped eating gluten wheat barley and havent broke out in hives since. Self treated no more gluten for me. No more hives or tummyaches. Hives were so bad I couldnt shave my legs and I'd scratch so much that I'd bleed. I think I inherited it from my sister she was diagnosed by doctor.
  • rhsdancer5
    rhsdancer5 Posts: 96 Member
    edited May 2016
    Hello! I was diagnosed as gluten intolerant. My symptoms include and vary from stomach aches, "bathroom issues" (the best way I could put that lol), dark circles under my eyes, etc. I got tested from blood samples on a huge list of foods for intolerance as well. After that I completely stopped eating any gluten at all. It was very hard to say the least. I was in middle school and it sucked. I did however loose 20lbs, my dark eye circles went away, I felt amazing physically, and felt healthy. I have not kept up with abstaining from gluten though because it was so difficult for me to eat that way all the time. There are a lot more food options now then there was and I choose the gluten free when I can! I would love to transition back in to gluten free eating, because it is what is good for my body. If you have any questions feel free to ask me!:)
  • pagey231
    pagey231 Posts: 11 Member
    Found out I am gluten intolerant ,, No placebo ,,Feel much better ..bloating ,,concentrating etc .... ..now I dont crave sugar :-)