Daily Check In Thread

Replies

• Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    W3d1 is done! Fast and easy! :)
  • Aine8046
    NancyN795 wrote: »
    W5D2 done. I'll admit, at this point the idea of running 2 full miles without walking on my next run is now intimidating me a bit. I did the 3/4 mile runs today without too much trouble, but the one that was mostly uphill was pretty tough and I was feeling it in my knees by the end of the final run. I always worry about my knees.

Wow, I never run two days in a row! That must've been tough!
  • Aine8046
    W5D2 done. I'll admit, at this point the idea of running 2 full miles without walking on my next run is now intimidating me a bit. I did the 3/4 mile runs today without too much trouble, but the one that was mostly uphill was pretty tough and I was feeling it in my knees by the end of the final run. I always worry about my knees.

Just go slowly and do not think about it. Get some good music or an audiobook and slow down even more if you feel like you need to walk. You are not the first one and you'll be able to do it just fine! :)
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    @Aine8046 : I didn't run two days in a row (although I'm occasionally tempted to do that), I just took only one day off between Week 4 and Week 5, rather than two days, as I'd originally intended. Looking ahead at the weather forecast, keeping to the schedule may be a challenge this coming weekend as we're supposed to get a lot of rain and maybe some snow starting Friday and lasting through Monday. However, your account of running in bad weather the other day makes me think maybe I should try to suck it up and get out there anyway. I guess I'll decide when the time comes. In the meantime, the weather should be beautiful for my 2 mile run on Thursday. I do think I can do it and I think you're right that the key is to not think about it, keep it slow, and have something good to listen to.
  • Aine8046
    @Aine8046 : I didn't run two days in a row (although I'm occasionally tempted to do that), I just took only one day off between Week 4 and Week 5, rather than two days, as I'd originally intended. Looking ahead at the weather forecast, keeping to the schedule may be a challenge this coming weekend as we're supposed to get a lot of rain and maybe some snow starting Friday and lasting through Monday. However, your account of running in bad weather the other day makes me think maybe I should try to suck it up and get out there anyway. I guess I'll decide when the time comes. In the meantime, the weather should be beautiful for my 2 mile run on Thursday. I do think I can do it and I think you're right that the key is to not think about it, keep it slow, and have something good to listen to.

I realized that you were not talking about two days in a row later when I re-read your post, but it was too late to edit!
    As for running in bad weather - I just had to do it because of the time conflict, however I would not recommend it to anyone - it was not fun! :)
    Well, whatever you decide - let us know how the dreadful W5D3 goes! Good luck! :)
  • cwolfgram
    cwolfgram Posts: 105 Member
    Finished W5D3 last night. I was a bit intimidated with it, but I told myself it was mostly mental. Went slow and steady through it, and I ran the whole 20 minutes! It's amazing. I was struggling to go one minute when I started.

I am, however, getting pain on the top of my feet/front of my ankle. Any suggestions?
  • begole2016
    begole2016 Posts: 26 Member
    Week 5 day 3 for me tomorrow! The dreaded 20min jog. Please friend me if youre on same week of C25K. We can encourage one another.
  • begole2016
    begole2016 Posts: 26 Member
    I will occasionally get goofy foot pain when i lace up differently than usual. Did you wear same shoes, run on same turf?
  • NancyN795
    Week 5 Day 3 done!!!! 2 full miles (26 minutes, 20 seconds) running without walking or stopping! I wanted to quit several times, but I pushed through. It did help that the additional 1/2 mile is a relatively level stretch (the additional 1.1 mile that I have to add to get to 5K is very un-level!). The headwind during the uphill portion was probably a help, since it's over 75 degrees out there. I missed it on the way back - no headwind, but at least it was mostly downhill. I'm very hot and sweaty now.

No more running outside for a few days. There's a winter storm that's supposed to hit us tomorrow morning and last through the weekend.

I've ordered some new shoes, which should be here before my next outside run (or walk). I'm going back to good old New Balance in a 4E width. I should have known better than to get shoes that weren't extra-wide, even if they feel okay when I'm wearing them.
  • Aine8046
    Week 5 Day 3 done!!!! 2 full miles (26 minutes, 20 seconds) running without walking or stopping! I wanted to quit several times, but I pushed through. It did help that the additional 1/2 mile is a relatively level stretch (the additional 1.1 mile that I have to add to get to 5K is very un-level!). The headwind during the uphill portion was probably a help, since it's over 75 degrees out there. I missed it on the way back - no headwind, but at least it was mostly downhill. I'm very hot and sweaty now.

No more running outside for a few days. There's a winter storm that's supposed to hit us tomorrow morning and last through the weekend.

Great job! I knew you'd be just fine! :)
    Now you only have few weeks left to graduate. If you did W5D3 you'll sure do the rest of the program!
    Sorry to hear about the weather - we have a very nice weekend coming (finally, after all this snow!) and I am planning a long run outside!
    W3D2 done today - nice and easy :)
  • Aine8046
    begole2016 wrote: »
    Week 5 day 3 for me tomorrow! The dreaded 20min jog. Please friend me if youre on same week of C25K. We can encourage one another.
    Good luck! :)

• Aine8046
    cwolfgram wrote: »
    Finished W5D3 last night. I was a bit intimidated with it, but I told myself it was mostly mental. Went slow and steady through it, and I ran the whole 20 minutes! It's amazing. I was struggling to go one minute when I started.

I am, however, getting pain on the top of my feet/front of my ankle. Any suggestions?
    Wow, there is a bunch of you guys, right next to each other! Congrats ripping through a tough one! :)
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Starting week 3 day 1 today. Feeling very tired today so it's going to be a mental battle, LOL.
  • sbl1881
    sbl1881 Posts: 213 Member
    edited April 2016
    Hi there. I'm on Week 4, Day 3. I'm running the timed version and average a 9 min mile.

I haven't been able to finish the last 5 minute interval all 3 tries. I slow to a walk twice for about 20 seconds each time. Should I just move on to Week 5? Intervals 1-3 are fine. I'm thinking it may be the quick turn around before the last 5 minutes that's ruining it for me.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    sbl1881 wrote: »
    Hi there. I'm on Week 4, Day 3. I'm running the timed version and average a 9 min mile.

I haven't been able to finish the last 5 minute interval all 3 tries. I slow to a walk twice for about 20 seconds each time. Should I just move on to Week 5? Intervals 1-3 are fine. I'm thinking it may be the quick turn around before the last 5 minutes that's ruining it for me.

Slow your pace down. As your length of running time increases, you might have to slow the pace down to be able to complete the longer intervals. You should be able to hold a conversation (or sing a song) while you are running.
  • Aine8046
    edited April 2016
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    sbl1881 wrote: »

Slow your pace down.
    Agreed. 9 min/mile is pretty fast. Try 10-12 min/mile and see if it helps.

• NancyN795
    @Just_Ceci : I agree that @sbl1881 should slow down - that's what I learned after my first failed attempt at C25K. The way I heard it was basically, if you can run any slower then you're running too fast.

However, the advice that you should be able to hold a conversation or sing a song while you're running would never work for me. It doesn't matter how slowly I run, the best I can do while running is a word or two at a time. If I'm expected to talk, then a moderate walk is the best I can do.
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    edited April 2016
    Small update for those of you who run on a treadmill but want to transition outside eventually; definitely add that 1% incline! I read that that was the best way to keep it pretty even so you don't get outside and have to restart, and I think it works pretty well, at least for me. Lately the gym I go to has been so humid it's hard to breathe, so I finally sucked it up and went outside. I go pretty late, though. There's no way you're getting me out in the sun at more than a walking pace, haha.

My first outside run I did 15 minutes of running, 5 minute walk (sister isn't quite there and needed a break) and then 15 again (without sister, though I run so slowly she kept up pretty well just walking), total 30 running and avg. pace according to MapMyRun was 13:34. You don't really notice how hilly your area is until you try running on it, but my course around the apartment complex was pretty good! Maybe a 2-3% incline in some places, not bad at all.

This weekend I'm back in my home town but still wanted to get my run in tonight, since I want to start B210K on Sunday and wanted to make sure I could actually do 30 minutes straight. My chosen course was just going around the block I live on, and two of the four streets are STEEP. Not San Francisco steep or anything, but I was scared. Slowed me down to 15:12 but I did it!

Well, I almost did it, but it counts. It was almost midnight and I was at 29 minutes when a car pulled up beside me and stopped. I nearly had a heart attack before I realized it was a family member getting home from work. :lol:

Sorry for the novel, I've just been impatient to see if the incline would pay off, and I think it did!

Also, those times are pretty encouraging. I know they're super slow, but on the treadmill I was sticking to a 3.7mph speed, which it said was a 16 minute mile. I don't know if it was calibrated incorrectly or if I was just ready to go a little faster, but I like seeing the lower times!
  • sueann10
    sueann10 Posts: 74 Member
    Hey All
    Thought I'd check in as I only recently found this group. So much helpful info.
    This morning I completed W5 D1 and I enjoyed it. Looking forward to D3 as I really want to see if I can jog for 20mins after only 5 weeks :smiley:

Also signed up for my first 5K in early June so still some time to get used to running.

Keep up the great work
  • sbl1881
    sbl1881 Posts: 213 Member
    W5 D1 is done!! I slowed down a little bit (9:15, 9:25 and 9:35 splits) and felt great. Thanks all for the encouragement!