In the beginning...

missabbyb
missabbyb Posts: 30 Member
What was your experience during your first week on low carb/keto?

Replies

• Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    edited April 2016
    I whined and moaned, and cried that it was too hard, and had a couple days where I shoved my face full of every carb I could find (read: 3 waffles loaded with syrup on an IDGAF day). Then whined some more, and got my butt back on the bandwagon. Then dove into the sugar again, before having a really serious talk with myself about my future health if I continued down the path I was on.

I got back on the bandwagon just before the start of week 2, and had an absolutely awful few days due to not intaking enough sodium, combined with TOM during that first week. Enter serious cravings and grouchy pants. I started supplementing, and everything has been more or less fine since then.

In summary, my first 10 days or so was absolute hell. Totally my fault, but it was hell nonetheless.
  • cairnsmom
    cairnsmom Posts: 93 Member
    Lots of "tinkling"...lots. :#
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    The first two weeks were amazing, unlimited energy, it was amazing. It was after that, that I felt like garbage off and on for a good length of time.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Same here @auntstephie321! I kept wondering where that great feeling went. Finally figured it out with the electrolytes. It takes a lot of determination in the beginning, and there's lots to learn. But it becomes the easiest, imo, woe! And we get the good food!
  • missabbyb
    cairnsmom wrote: »
    Lots of "tinkling"...lots. :#

I'm a busted pipe right now. Lol.
  • Kellryn
    Kellryn Posts: 139 Member
    The only issue I had in the beginning was pee'ing ALL the time, I mean like 3 or 4 times an hour. I had no cravings (thought about cereal once). It was about 2ish weeks into keto level carb eating that I started to get my first ever leg cramp. It woke me up, but I got up ate 2 pickles, drank a few swallows of the pickle juice and went back to bed. I make sure to get more sodium now and haven't had anymore issues.

Of course I wasn't low carb, but I already loved eating veges with some kind of protein anyways. I just learned to not have to have the carby side. The biggest hurdle so far is making sure I get enough fat into my diet. It's still the macro I have to watch the most.
  • missabbyb
    I whined and moaned, and cried that it was too hard, and had a couple days where I shoved my face full of every carb I could find (read: 3 waffles loaded with syrup on an IDGAF day). Then whined some more, and got my butt back on the bandwagon. Then dove into the sugar again, before having a really serious talk with myself about my future health if I continued down the path I was on.

I got back on the bandwagon just before the start of week 2, and had an absolutely awful few days due to not intaking enough sodium, combined with TOM during that first week. Enter serious cravings and grouchy pants. I started supplementing, and everything has been more or less fine since then.

In summary, my first 10 days or so was absolute hell. Totally my fault, but it was hell nonetheless.

Yes, I was feeling the lack of electrolytes at school today so I put a few shakes of salt I found in the staff kitchen into my water. That helped a little bit, I had training after school so it was around 5 o'clock when I actually got to Walmart and started looking for potassium and sodium pills. I ended up getting the potassium pills only because they didn't have sodium pills. the time it took me to actually do all this stuff was where things got a little bad, and by a little bad I mean very, very, very bad. I got a headache, I started having heartburn, I was exhausted, and my joints were starting to feel sore. I got out of there as quick as I could which at WalMart during rush hour wasn't very quick. I got home, put my meal in the microwave and I just started eating ...like shoveling my dinner in my face.
    I seriously hope I'm gonna be able to go a few hours without eating something... eventually. I'm like an infant. Lol.
    I did also get propel and soaked in Epsom salt tonight, which helped immensely.
  • missabbyb
    Kellryn wrote: »
    The only issue I had in the beginning was pee'ing ALL the time, I mean like 3 or 4 times an hour. I had no cravings (thought about cereal once). It was about 2ish weeks into keto level carb eating that I started to get my first ever leg cramp. It woke me up, but I got up ate 2 pickles, drank a few swallows of the pickle juice and went back to bed. I make sure to get more sodium now and haven't had anymore issues.

Of course I wasn't low carb, but I already loved eating veges with some kind of protein anyways. I just learned to not have to have the carby side. The biggest hurdle so far is making sure I get enough fat into my diet. It's still the macro I have to watch the most.

Yes, I've been eating healthy and before I started keto I had upped my protein intake to prep myself for what was coming.
  • auntstephie321
    The potassium supplements probably aren't necessary. You get much more than you think from food. Your going to want to get some bullion cubes or make some ketoaid (1/4 tsp salt 1/4 tsp nu salt in water and a squirt of mio or other water flavor). Get 3-5 g of sodium a day depending how you feel. Also magnesium is ultra helpful especially for cramping. Get some mag citrate or mag glycinate (my preferred)

You will get to the point you can go hours without eating or even being hungry.
  • missabbyb
    The potassium supplements probably aren't necessary. You get much more than you think from food. Your going to want to get some bullion cubes or make some ketoaid (1/4 tsp salt 1/4 tsp nu salt in water and a squirt of mio or other water flavor). Get 3-5 g of sodium a day depending how you feel. Also magnesium is ultra helpful especially for cramping. Get some mag citrate or mag glycinate (my preferred)

Ok. Yea, the potassium seemed to help me but I also combined it with the salt soak. Ketoaid- that was close with what I did today. I'm still not drinking enough water.... which I don't know what to do about that. I'm usually pretty full until I get that 10 minute warning that I'm hungry. So I sip the water, but not get near what I'm used to getting.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    edited April 2016
    I was super headachy! (The day it ended was a great day.) On the plus side the food got waaaaay better. I had been doing low fat with really low sodium. The only thing you can make with that is a load of bland crap.
  • Kellryn
    Kellryn Posts: 139 Member
    I also looked at wal-mart for sodium tabs, their website says they sell them... I've also looked at a supplement store in my area. I ended up having to buy a bottle from Amazon and they help me. Besides pickles and salami, I don't really care for heavily salted foods, so the salt tabs really help. I also drink vegetable stock broth with butter and coconut oil(I don't like coffee) in the morning and it keeps me full for hours!
  • cedarsidefarm
    cedarsidefarm Posts: 163 Member
    I was euphoric. I started on the Always Hungry diet. It kept me from being dehydrated and throwing out my electrolyte balance. But it was so gradual I gained weight and didn't start losing weight until my 44th day. But it was the best intro possible. Except for not losing weight, I got all the benefits of the diet with none of the constipation and dehydration or any problems. Yet my swelling in my wrist and ankles decreased, the pain in them decreased, my mood was great.

But I did moan and groan about giving up my bread and not losing weight. Eventually, the weight started dripping off but not before I got my carbs down below 30.
  • auntstephie321
    missabbyb wrote: »

Ok. Yea, the potassium seemed to help me but I also combined it with the salt soak. Ketoaid- that was close with what I did today. I'm still not drinking enough water.... which I don't know what to do about that. I'm usually pretty full until I get that 10 minute warning that I'm hungry. So I sip the water, but not get near what I'm used to getting.

How much water are you getting. Are you thirsty? Don't try to force too much water, you'll just end up peeing more and flushing more sodium out. Your thirst may increase though since you just started. I was crazy thirsty in the beginning but that tapered off.
  • missabbyb

How much water are you getting. Are you thirsty? Don't try to force too much water, you'll just end up peeing more and flushing more sodium out. Your thirst may increase though since you just started. I was crazy thirsty in the beginning but that tapered off.

I've been drinking 12-16 oz BP coffee in the morning until 10 ish. So I don't start drinking water until 11 ish. I'm at about 5-6 cups water. Plus a protein shake at night.
  • auntstephie321
    If you aren't thirsty then your probably doing fine. That sounds like a decent amount. Over the next few days you may see an increase in thirst.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member

I've been drinking 12-16 oz BP coffee in the morning until 10 ish. So I don't start drinking water until 11 ish. I'm at about 5-6 cups water. Plus a protein shake at night.

I agree with @auntstephie321 Sounds like fluids are fine. There's no reason to drink beyond thirst. I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    My first week was phenomenal! I had read about Keto for months before deciding to start and I understood a lot about insulin, carbs and metabolism already due to my T1D daughter.
    So I was very well prepared for the sodium needs and was able to prevent all of the negative symptoms by preventing the electrolyte imbalance. I started feeling amazing within a couple days. I was highly motivated by pure determination to not fail. I had family, including my daughter dealing with way worse things than not "getting to eat candy and bread" as inspiration. Basically, I felt like I had no business complaining about not eating carbs when they were being so tough managing serious stuff. Put my pathetic desires for sugar into perspective real quick!
  • kimbo8435
    kimbo8435 Posts: 129 Member
    I was so happy- my dystonic tremors stopped completely within days of starting keto. I did get quite the fog-head because I wasn't prepared like Sunny. After my fourth day, things started turning around. The water definitely wooshed!
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member

Yes, I was feeling the lack of electrolytes at school today so I put a few shakes of salt I found in the staff kitchen into my water. That helped a little bit, I had training after school so it was around 5 o'clock when I actually got to Walmart and started looking for potassium and sodium pills. I ended up getting the potassium pills only because they didn't have sodium pills. the time it took me to actually do all this stuff was where things got a little bad, and by a little bad I mean very, very, very bad. I got a headache, I started having heartburn, I was exhausted, and my joints were starting to feel sore. I got out of there as quick as I could which at WalMart during rush hour wasn't very quick. I got home, put my meal in the microwave and I just started eating ...like shoveling my dinner in my face.
    I seriously hope I'm gonna be able to go a few hours without eating something... eventually. I'm like an infant. Lol.
    I did also get propel and soaked in Epsom salt tonight, which helped immensely.

Poor thing :disappointed:

I've been doing keto-ade lately. A bottle every morning gets me through the day, and I have dropped the potassium pills. Seems super effective (and cheap) and yummy!