"Mother's Apron," "Belly pouch," "'w' stomach" help/success with losing.

First off, I am not a mother, lol. I'm 21 years old, 5'2. I was 160 pounds in Jan 2014, dropped to 135 by July 2014, and dropped down to 130 sometime soon after that. I was 130 for the longest time till I gained weight over the winter to 145 (current). I have ALWAYS had what I've called a belly pouch, but I learned it can also be called a "mother's apron." It's two bulges on the lower stomach on both sides of my belly button especially, so it essentially creates a lowercase "W." It's not saggy, just fatty. I can't remember not having it. Aside from it, I have a fantastic body shape! Hourglass body, good legs, etc. Just trying to lose some of the weight, but, I feel like I'm never going to be rid of this nasty belly. It's my biggest downfall. Has anyone had this? What can I do to get rid of it? I'd love success stories!

Replies

• MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    I'm 5'2 also, 39 years old, and at my heaviest I was 155lbs. I never had weight issues until I began drinking alcohol heavily. Once I quit the alcohol, the weight fell off, though I noticed my lower stomach was looser than it ever had been. I started walking for an hour every night. Granted it's not rigorous exercise, it seemed to resolve the looseness in my lower stomach. I'm 120lbs now, and though I would love to get down to 110 or 115, I haven't been actively working to lose weight and have just been maintaining. I think walking uses more core muscles than we realize, and you may want to give it a shot.
  • protoplasmica
    protoplasmica Posts: 12 Member
    I walk uphill for 1 hr everyday, always have, and still have that pouch. The only thing that it responds to is diet. You might not be overweight but if your diet is based on carbs or high in veg that makes you bloat, then switching to protein/fats might help.Also drink more water and eat less salt.
  • SarahKellyZee
    SarahKellyZee Posts: 2 Member
    That's my problem area as well! It's so frustrating being told by people that I don't need to lose weight because I look smal everywhere else. But If I wear anything but a sweater I look pregnant. My youngest is 2 now, and I have a big fat pouch on my tummy that still makes me look 4 months pregnant.. so embarrassing.

If anyone has any tips on losing it that would be GREAT :P
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Eat at a deficit and lift weights.

I've given up on it, personally. I mean, I'm still trying to lose a few pounds, but I hate weights so... the apron stays (there's so much loose skin anyway, the more I lose there, the worst it looks).
  • mgookin1
    mgookin1 Posts: 72 Member
    Less carbs, more proteins and fats, lifting weights.

Also a lot of it is genetics and anamoty. The way my uterus tilts in my body is what gives me a permanent pouch even at my smallest. No matter the amount of weights, diets, deficients, etc could get rid on it.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    mgookin1 wrote: »

Also a lot of it is genetics and anamoty. The way my uterus tilts in my body is what gives me a permanent pouch even at my smallest. No matter the amount of weights, diets, deficients, etc could get rid on it.

Why less carbs? She didn't ask about her macros. She needs to lower her body fat.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    You're so young and it doesn't look like you were that heavy. We're you heavy for long? I would think your skin would shrink up more if you lost more fat.

That being said, I have an apron and I've given up on it for now. I'm switching to recomp mode for the foreseeable future.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Lose more weight. And add exercise.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    mgookin1 wrote: »

Carbohydrates have nothing to do with the accumulation of body fat in any given area. So, as with 99/100 times "less carbs" is trotted out, it's redundant advice.

OP. Calorie deficit, drop body fat, strength training, and hope your genetics help you along the way.
  • 1961dublin
    1961dublin Posts: 124 Member
    I started pilates 6 weeks ago and I notice my lower belly is flatter, not as curved. There is still plenty of fat and maybe loose skin but the shape has changed. It looks like someone squished it with a rolling pin so it's not so noticeable now.it looks less like a 4 month pregnancy.i did notice I was sore in my lower tummy after the classes so it's hitting the right spot. I'm so happy that I finally found something that works. It's not as embarrassing now. Anyone else tried pilates for the tummy apron?
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    1961dublin, you have now got me checking out the times of pilates classes at my gym!
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Curses! The timings don't work :'(
  • StephanieLMcQuinn
    StephanieLMcQuinn Posts: 7 Member
    I do exercise, mostly cardio 5 days a week for thirty minutes, but I do squats, lunges, and arm resistance too. I think I'll look into Pilates! I wish I could find a class, but if not I'll try YouTube. :) Thanks guys so much!I've had this pouch since I was 115 pounds (when I was like, 13) but it was smaller. I wanna be rid of it!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    You might want to incorporate more strength training into your exercise routine.

There are a lot of Pilates workout videos on Fitnessblender.com (since your looking into Pilates and it's free). You should also be able to find some strength exercises to add to your routine as well.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Strength training, for the win!
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Carnhot wrote: »
    Curses! The timings don't work :'(

Look for studios outside of the gym. Classes shouldn't have more than 10 people in them so that the instructor can really pay attn to each persons position.
  • wortn
    wortn Posts: 17 Member
    I noticed that people who are in good shape but have "mommy belly " eat a lot of or mostly unhealthy food. I'm not saying this it your case, but I would switch to all organic diet and see if it helps.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    wortn wrote: »
    I noticed that people who are in good shape but have "mommy belly " eat a lot of or mostly unhealthy food. I'm not saying this it your case, but I would switch to all organic diet and see if it helps.

:noway:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member

LOL NO.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member

Why would that help?