Two weeks in to ketosis...

Psysix
Psysix Posts: 53 Member
I find I don't get hungry very often, I have more energy than before, I can go faster on the treadmill without losing my breath, and on the downside, my skin is oily when it used to be a bit on the dry side.

Oh, and I lost 12 pounds.

It a lot for two weeks. What effects do other keto followers have?

Replies

• Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    • More energy
    • Sleeping better
    • Clearer skin
    • More regular cycles
    • Quicker recovery from workouts
    • Less cravings
    • Less binging
    • More stable blood sugar
    • Less migraines
    • Lessened PMS symptoms
    • No more pre-diabetes!
  • jmarie1025
    jmarie1025 Posts: 114 Member
    • More energy
    • Sleeping better
    • Clearer skin
    • More regular cycles
    • Quicker recovery from workouts
    • Less cravings
    • Less binging
    • More stable blood sugar
    • Less migraines
    • Lessened PMS symptoms
    • No more pre-diabetes!

All of this ^^ plus no more brain fog!
  • DheanaRamsay
    DheanaRamsay Posts: 3 Member
    Hey guys, when did you start feeling the increased mental clarity? We're just about rounding out our second week and hoping the positive benefits start kicking in soon. :)
  • BeardedYoung
    BeardedYoung Posts: 229 Member
    less cravings and all my PMS symptoms are gone!!! OK anyways I'm just getting in on this. I found out that you can't have a cheat day without going back to square one Ugh... but I notice being less hungry which is huge for me. Any keto people feel free to friend.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    My guess is a lot of the effects (like running is easier)is due to the weight that you've lost and sticking with the exercise for two weeks, but congrats on your progress!

Is great that you've found a way of eating that makes you feel good and is helping you reach your goals.
  • emmincontrol
    emmincontrol Posts: 18 Member
    You may have bad breath.
  • jakeycork
    jakeycork Posts: 26 Member
    My guess is a lot of the weight will be water due to glycogen stores being depleted. Congrats though, suits some. Not for me though.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Usually the initial weight loss is water weight.. but good job on what you've achieved so far!
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    ivanfawcettgibson Posts: 193 Member
    Love the backhanded compliments.
    I may disgust some of you, it's not my intention; I spend less time at the men's room and less time with the clear up. I can have a coffee with cream and I don't need breakfast. Before I'd have told you you were nut to suggest I miss a meal.
    What I am wondering though is if it's more that I'm intolerable to wheat than carbs. I'm going to stay low carb - not eat pasta, bread or potatoes for a while (2-3 months) and see how my body reacts, then I may add back a little potato and see what changes there are.
  • BettyLawlz
    BettyLawlz Posts: 13 Member
    @Panda_Poptarts did you ever keep track of your Blood glucose levels during transition???
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    I think it is great when someone can find a way to eat/live that makes them feel great and they can live with the changes. Some people have a hard time finding a way to eat that works for them.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    BettyLawlz wrote: »
    @Panda_Poptarts did you ever keep track of your Blood glucose levels during transition???

I have sporadically. I was typically up in the 110 - 125 range fasting, and higher than that after a meal, prior to ketosis. I was teetering into the diabetic range with an A1C of 5.9 even on metformin. My average fasting glucose on ketosis (took about 5 days to really drop significantly) is in the low 80s. Now that I'm fully adapted, my fasting glucose tends to be down in the 70s, with low to mid 80s after eating. I also possess a totally normal 5.4 A1C as of my last blood draw!
  • Panda_Poptarts
    What exactly is ketosis? I get heaps of people percieving it in different ways. Is it like IF intermitent fasting? Are you serious skipping meals

Some folks do incorporate IF, but it's not necessary.

Ketosis is the process by which you begin producing ketones. You drop your dietary carbs way down and increase your fats, in order to allow your body to become fat-fueled. This may result in greater fat loss and decreased muscle loss while losing weight. Ketosis also assists with keeping a more regulated blood sugar and insulin level throughout the day. Additionally, there are positive effects on overall health.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Love the backhanded compliments.
    I may disgust some of you, it's not my intention; I spend less time at the men's room and less time with the clear up. I can have a coffee with cream and I don't need breakfast. Before I'd have told you you were nut to suggest I miss a meal.
    What I am wondering though is if it's more that I'm intolerable to wheat than carbs. I'm going to stay low carb - not eat pasta, bread or potatoes for a while (2-3 months) and see how my body reacts, then I may add back a little potato and see what changes there are.

I recently increased my carbs from 25g total to 25g net (typically in the 50g total range). I actually lost weight! I think the grains are the biggest issue for me. As soon as I tried to fit a bit of bread into my macros, I had a major eczema flare up that, 3 weeks later, is still on the mend.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    What exactly is ketosis? I get heaps of people percieving it in different ways. Is it like IF intermitent fasting? Are you serious skipping meals

Ketosis is the process by which you begin producing ketones. You drop your dietary carbs way down and increase your fats, in order to allow your body to become fat-fueled. This may result in greater fat loss and decreased muscle loss while losing weight. Ketosis also assists with keeping a more regulated blood sugar and insulin level throughout the day. Additionally, there are positive effects on overall health.

Wow ok then that means I have been in ketosis for a long time :smiley:

Congratulations! :mrgreen:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

Wow ok then that means I have been in ketosis for a long time :smiley:

@DancingDarl How many grams of carbs do you eat every day?
    If it's over 50-70g then chances are you are not in ketosis.

• BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    I'm about 10 days in, so after the 7 days of feeling really rough.. i'm now starting to get to the stage where I feel normal again.. however the sugar addiction is pretty much non-existent... i've lost 6lb so far and weighing in tomorrow. One more positive.. increased libido - strange but true!!