Help...

Hi all... I'm feeling pretty despondent. I've been using this app for 5 weeks and just keep sticking, putting on a lb, losing a lb, sticking etc. My weight now is no lower than my starting weight, but I've logged my food intake and exercise every day! I'm seriously considering going back on Lipotrim, which is a total food (shakes) replacement diet, but this is not a long term solution. I'm 5ft 8, my current weight is 14st, 9lb and I would say that I'm lightly active. The MFP app has worked out that I should consume 1250 calories a day in order to lose 2lb a week, but so far, I'm not getting the results! I have an underactive thyroid so I take 50mg meds daily. I hate exercise and have limited time due to working long hours and looking after my 2.5 year old grandson. I seem to be unable to eat carbs in order to lose weight, which is why I think Lipotrim works (it's a high protein, low carb meal replacement) but I love carbs and struggle to eat just protein, dairy and fruit/veg meals etc. I really want to lose at least 2st, so any suggestions would be much appreciated :-)

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    How are you measuring your food intake? If you haven't lost, then most likely you're eating more than you think.
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    I have similar statistics but no health issues bar IBS. my personal best advice is get a pedometer, exercise is so important but it's doable via walking a lot not just via the gym
  • eatonandrea
    eatonandrea Posts: 6 Member
    Hi Malibu, I'm using the app to record what I eat and checking what it says for the amount of calories against the info on the food products. Sometimes I'm showing as eating under the recommended daily amount of calories, and using the app has really made me think about what I eat.
  • eatonandrea
    Hi meissastar, thanks, I have thought about doing that.
  • jacquifrench304
    jacquifrench304 Posts: 131 Member
    Hi Malibu, I'm using the app to record what I eat and checking what it says for the amount of calories against the info on the food products. Sometimes I'm showing as eating under the recommended daily amount of calories, and using the app has really made me think about what I eat.
    I would suggest trying out a food scale , even for the packaged foods , also check the entry you select against the package make sure it is correct.
    Also when was the last time your Dr tested the levels for your medication? If the dose is off it can make it harder as well.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member

You should be weighing your food out. Just guessing at the portions, even for things that are prepackaged, can lead to eating more than you think.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
  • Mapla
    Mapla Posts: 15 Member
    Its so hard to stick to when ur weight goes up n down by 1lb. Ive been there n it sucks. I like the advice of making sure you weigh everything. We honestly dont realise how many extra calories we eat by estimating. X x x
  • eatonandrea
    Hi Jacqui, thanks for your post. I've replied already, but it's not showing. I do check the amount I consume against the entry on the app and alter the amount consumed accordingly. My thyroid level is checked every 6 months.

Hi Malibu, thanks for the link, that's a really good post. I honestly thought though (once I realised how many calories were in foods by using the app) that I was consuming a lot less than I was prior to using the app, so feel really disappointed that I'm not losing.

Hi Mapla, yes, it's very disheartening, especially when you feel like you're really trying to change what you eat :-(
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    You are not eating 1250 calories per day. You are eating at maintenance, whatever that is - which is difficult to say, if you don't weigh everything you eat.

When you say you "struggle to eat just..." I interpret that as you don't. You don't need shakes, and you don't have to cut carbs. You just have to eat the right amount of calories. The only way to make sure you are eating the right amount of calories, is to weigh everything you eat, and not restrict your food choices to a degree that makes you prone to "cheat".

You don't have to exercise to lose weight. You can create a calorie deficit just by eating less than you burn. But you have to make certain that you are eating less than you burn. If you weigh you food, you will know exactly how much you are eating, and you will know exactly how many calories you are eating.

See where this is going? I think you do ;) Buy a food scale, and use it.
  • eatonandrea
    Bit of a harsh reply kommodeveran! As stated in one of my earlier replies, I was surprised by how many calories I must have been consuming prior to using this app, so I know I am now eating a lot less than I was, as by inputting what I'm eating, it's not rocket science to know that I was previously over eating! As for your comments about shakes and carbs, well past and current attempts to lose weight tell me different! When I say that I struggle to eat non carbs, I mean that so many meals are carb based, eg cereals, toast, sandwiches etc. I work long hours and I'm peripatetic, so find it difficult to eat non carb stuff on the run. I usually make a salad up for lunch, and my breakfast is usually either a banana and cereal bar or porridge with blueberries. I eat fruit, nuts or sometimes a couple of chunks of chocolate for snacks, and my evening meals vary, but I mostly keep well below 1250 calories, and I don't restrict my food choices... if I want it, I have it, but I count it and therefore don't cheat!!!
  • sharmrp
    sharmrp Posts: 18 Member
    Hi, remember it's not just about weight though. If you are moving more, even light exercise, you may find that you might not lose loads of weight, but your body shape will change. And weight is about more than just what you eat. It depends on fluids you have taken in/expelled and all sorts. Don't look at the number and lose heart, there will be changes going on in your body that the number on the scale won't reflect. It's only one small part of the bigger picture.....
  • eatonandrea
    Hi sharmrp, thanks for your reply. My clothes definitely feel looser, but I think that's more from the weight I lost before using MFP. I did a chemical diet for 2 weeks and then a high protein diet the following 2 weeks and lost 10lbs. I then found the MFP app and started calorie counting based on the amount of calories it told me I should consume in order to lose 2lb per week. It's been 5 weeks since I started calorie counting, and although I know I've eaten less, I've maintained weight really, going up and down a pound and/or sticking!
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    When seeking advice regarding diet and weight loss it would be helpful if you made your diary public. We have no idea how much you are consuming.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    You are kind of dodging the question about weighing your food. You say you are comparing what you eat to the app and adjusting according to that, but how do you know exactly how much you are eating? For example, when you have a serving of cereal are you just entering that it is one serving? How do you know you are eating only one serving? Eyeballing what a serving is can lead to overeating, especially with calorie dense foods - you say you eat nuts as a snack. A typical serving size for nuts is really small!

Just because you are eating less, does not mean that you are eating in the calorie deficit needed to lose weight. Your eating less could mean that now you are no longer eating at a surplus, but not necessarily at a deficit. There is no way really to know exactly how many calories you are consuming unless you weigh your food. Even prepackaged food, like oatmeal packets, can vary from what the serving information says.
  • GYATagain
    GYATagain Posts: 141 Member
    Feeling your frustration. If your thyroid levels are stable now with your meds, it will become a little (very little) easier to start losing weight. I am also hypothyroid condition/Hashimoto disease so, the only way I was able to lose 70+ pounds and have worked very hard at keeping it off, is to combine a 1200 calorie a day and exercise pretty much every single day. I also work a full time desk job. Through trial and error and in connection with a nutritionist, I learned that wheat products/gluten, also soy, plays havoc with my thyroid, IBS, and just general well being. There will be many that say you don't have to give up anything - that just has not been my experience. I'm not saying that everyone else has to give up certain types of foods, but it sure helped me lose weight, sleep better, move easier - because it just plain sucks getting older sometimes!! I weigh out my food and eat very little packaged processed foods. Good nutrition + Exercise truly is the key. We've heard it our whole live and well, it is true! I have found that I have to actually almost double up that Calories Out versus Calories In to make any difference at all. These days, I am able to run after our 3 year old grandson even while holding his 3 month old little brother in a pack. We Can Do It!! Have faith in yourself and find what works for you - even if it takes several months. It is completely worth it!