Eating out

Do you eat out? If so, what are some tricks to measuring foods?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    I do eat out, though I tend to keep it to just special occasions (couple of times a month, usually).

I think this post covers everything I try to log my calories from it: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10213155/a-guide-to-going-out-to-eat/p1
  • twinkles2121
    twinkles2121 Posts: 137 Member
    Usually research what I'm going to have before I go. Although if it's a spontaneous thing, I follow healthy plate, 1/2 plate veg, 1/4 grains, 1/4 meat and take the rest to go. (Also if the plates are abnormally large, use the inner ring ;) )
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    I do, weekly. If it's not a chain restaurant where nutrition info is available, I do my best with the SWAG method - a trick I learned from a former boss of mine who always said that's what he was using on days when he wasn't sure how much product to order - Scientific Wild *kitten* Guessing! :lol: I try to estimate each part of the food I'm eating, like my favorite steak salad from our local pub - I eyeball the measurement of greens, blue cheese, tomatoes, onions, croutons, steak and dressing and log accordingly. Hasn't seemed to derail my progress.

If it's a burger or sandwich or something like that, I might find an entry in the MFP database from some other restaurant that seems to be the closest match and just go with that.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited April 2016
    I gave up.
    Last time I visited one, I had all intentions of getting the grilled chicken w/ broccoli.
    I'm a fail.
    Why spend $12 on something you can make at home?
  • tamaraworrall
    tamaraworrall Posts: 166 Member
    Google is your friend .most restaurants have a downloadable menu with their calories on and a light bite section that's under 500 calories or 600 calories even pizza hut and pizza express
  • polkadot346
    polkadot346 Posts: 14 Member
    The struggle is real for me at restaurants. Due to my schedule and that its just my husband and I (plus no dishwasher!) we eat out prob 3x week for dinner. I'm getting better at choosing healthier options, avoiding chips, bread and alcohol altogether (unless a special occasion) but I have no idea if my educated guesses on calories are even close to accurate. One thing I do is over estimate calories when I eat out, so I can balance my intake the rest of the day.
    My trouble are the weekend "fun" nights w friends where chips and alcohol play a big role in derailing progress.
  • kthompson601
    kthompson601 Posts: 174 Member
    I do eat out, but not nearly as much as I used to. If I can, I plan ahead, and use the restaurant's nutrition information to decide what I'm getting before I go. Unfortunately, I live in an area that has a ton of local spots that don't provide nutrition info, so I have to do some estimating. I try to estimate high, and not eat out very often. For example, my favorite place has only two locations and no nutrition info available. My fave dish is a grilled cheese on sourdough bread with Gruyere cheese and caramelized onions. I have no idea how many calories are in that, but I estimate it really high. I always get the salad on the side, but it has a homemade dressing that has God knows how many calories.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    AmyRhubarb wrote: »
    I do, weekly. If it's not a chain restaurant where nutrition info is available, I do my best with the SWAG method - a trick I learned from a former boss of mine who always said that's what he was using on days when he wasn't sure how much product to order - Scientific Wild *kitten* Guessing!

Ha, didn't realize it censored one of the words! :tongue: Supposed to be wild *kitten* guessing, but you probably figured that out. :wink: