Brittle Nails, fatigued, dry hair, vegetarian. Plssss help

Replies

• kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    bioklutz wrote: »
    Are you really eating 500-800 calories a day? That is what it looks like in your food diary. How long have you been doing this?

The symptoms you list are common with people who under eat. You are not getting enough nutrients and calories - your body is not gong to waste fuel on hair and nails. This will not end well for you if you continue.

This! Assuming you're vegetarian and not vegan, add eggs, beans, greek yogurt/dairy, quinoa to your diet. You'll get the necessary amount of protein AND calories.
  • Anabug81
    Anabug81 Posts: 161 Member
    Eat Garlic it is really good for your hair and nails. also there is a nails basecoat that has garlic in it. I went to school to be a licensed nail technician.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    I became veggie over the new year but have noticed my attention span and energy has significantly decreased. In addition to this, my nails are extremely brittle and my hair is dry and wirey. I asked in Holland and Barrett where they told me to increase my protein intake but I've struggled. Does anyone have any way of bumping up their protein intake while also wanting to lose weight? I can't get any bigger but I can't stay as fatigued as I currently am. Oh and before anyone suggests, I'm not considering going back to eating meat! I'm leaning more towards veganism.

I am not surprised you are fatigued, have brittle nails and will soon experience hair loss. After glancing at your diary, I see you have volunteered to starve yourself to death. You aren't eating enough.
  • CupcakesMom2
    CupcakesMom2 Posts: 154 Member
    If you are not eating meat, ask your dr to recommend a B12 vitamin for you to take. I take mine in a multi vitamin. As far as protein, beans and quinoa have alot of proten. All vegetables have some protein and peas have alot of protein. Nuts also have protein. And if you eat fish, as others have mentioned that a good source too, try to eat fish that is low in mercury.
  • insomnical
    insomnical Posts: 24 Member
    There's a repeating trend and I'll echo it - too few calories.

However I'd also recommend getting a blood panel from your doctor, something that will show you what's missing or low in your system. This was mentioned but I think it's worth stressing this part.

Losing weight shouldn't come at the cost of your health. Be healthy. Let the weight come off slowly with smart planning. Please take care of yourself. :(
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I became veggie over the new year but have noticed my attention span and energy has significantly decreased. In addition to this, my nails are extremely brittle and my hair is dry and wirey. I asked in Holland and Barrett where they told me to increase my protein intake but I've struggled. Does anyone have any way of bumping up their protein intake while also wanting to lose weight? I can't get any bigger but I can't stay as fatigued as I currently am. Oh and before anyone suggests, I'm not considering going back to eating meat! I'm leaning more towards veganism.

1. Eat more calories. MFP gave you a calorie goal that you are not coming close to. Meet that goal. At minimum get at least 1200 calories net a day. If you earn calories from exercise then eat half of those. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
    2. Eat more protein- eggs, beans, lentils, peas, quinoa, buckwheat, tofu, tempeh, edamame, quorn, Ezekiel bread, seitan, nuts, seeds, hummus/bean dip, peanut butter, almond butter, tahini, cheeses, yogurt, whole grain products, spinach, broccoli, corn, potato, apricots, peaches, oatmeal, regular milk, soy milk, almond milk, coconut milk, protein powder, protein bars.... there are lists of protein content of foods suitable for vegetarians or vegans all over the internet.
    3. Don't eat a super low fat diet.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    It's a shame OP hasn't come back
  • monthebiffpls
    monthebiffpls Posts: 3 Member
    Hi there. I would like to say that I'm not starving myself, I eat enough to satisfy my needs and only feel hunger around meal times which is then satisfied. My issue is with protein as I do believe I'm not eating enough which is making my nails brittle as a consequence. I've suffered low iron for around two years now as identified when I've been to give blood but this has been fluctuating over time. I personally don't like dairy as I suffer bloating and sickness afterwards. I mean, the question was purely concerning nails, skin and hair not concerning the amount I'm eating. I wouldn't even know what to add to my diet to satisfy you all, apart from eating bread or snacking more?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Hi there. I would like to say that I'm not starving myself, I eat enough to satisfy my needs and only feel hunger around meal times which is then satisfied. My issue is with protein as I do believe I'm not eating enough which is making my nails brittle as a consequence. I've suffered low iron for around two years now as identified when I've been to give blood but this has been fluctuating over time. I personally don't like dairy as I suffer bloating and sickness afterwards. I mean, the question was purely concerning nails, skin and hair not concerning the amount I'm eating. I wouldn't even know what to add to my diet to satisfy you all, apart from eating bread or snacking more?

your nails, skin and hair are crap because you are starving yourself....
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,515 Member
    Like most others have said, you aren't eating enough. You need to try to hit at least 1,200 calories per day, and I'd increase it by eating additional fats and proteins - peanut butter, eggs, beans, lentils, coconut oil, etc. You skin/hair/nails/etc are crap because you aren't getting enough nutrients. You should also at a minimum add a daily multi vitamin.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Your skin, hair, and nails need nutrients. While you may be eating enough to keep your brain alive and your heart pumping, you are showing classic signs of not getting enough to satisfy the noticeable extremities. Other parts of your body are likely also suffering too. Nutrition is a science.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,515 Member

I actually do think that several people gave you ideas of foods to add to your diet, myself included. Coming from someone (me) who suffered from eating disorders in the past ranging from anorexia to bulimia, you really might want to seek help from a medical professional at this point.

• sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    You are not eating enough calories, protein, or fat.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member

Your original question sepecifically talked about faitigue, lack of energy, poor attention span as well as problems with nails, skin and hair. Malnourishment due to not eating enough calories as well as not enough nutrients include all of these symptoms. Whether you are hungry or not you are damaging your body by not feeding it enough of what it needs. These are the signs. It will get worse if you continue the way you are.
    If you can't bring yourself to eat the minimum 1200 calories then I suggest visiting your doctor and a registered dietician for help... possibly a therapist.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Talk to your doctor about an outpatient referral for treatment for eating disorders.
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    edited April 2016
    I had the same problem when I became vegetarian in high school. Protein is definitely key. Eat more bean/corn mix, nuts, legumes in general. There are lots of tasty vegan alternatives out there (just not hot dogs) that you can check out. Protein grounds, etc. reading a book called Skinny B*tch helped me a lot in understanding my needs and how to meet them as a vegetarian, and I excelled at it in full health for almost six years. Best of luck to you.