April 2016 Running Challenge

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Way to go @MobyCarp . You should be very proud! By all accounts I've heard, it was a really rough one today. Hard to prepare for the heat in the spring. Looks like you fared better than most...can't wait for the recap!
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    edited April 2016
    Woohoo @MobyCarp !!!! Congratulations!

4/1...5.0 @ 12:00 on the TM (4.0 @ 11:15 and 1.0 walking)
    4/2....3.1 @ 11:45 through the neighborhood. My ankle hurt the first mile or so, especially on the uphill bits--downhill isn't too bad
    4/3...Rest day
    4/4...4.6 @ 11:32 on the rail trail and neighborhood streets
    4/5...2.8 @ 11:50 on the TM--that's 2.3 (just to make it even!) @ 11:15 and .5 at a walk, plus strength training
    4/6...Rest day, but I got to go help out at my son's RunFit club. Next time I'm wearing my own running shoes so I can chase him with a sharp stick so he doesn't walk so much! (That was a joke...don't call CPS or Jeff Galloway...)
    4/7...7.0 @ 11:25 on the TM (This was really 6.25 at 11:05 and .75 walking to cool down)
    4/8...2.0 @ 12:06 (just had a short time to run while the kids were at gym)
    4/9...Unintended rest day. I got dressed to run...that counts for something, right? LOL
    4/10...4.6 @ 13:39 with the slow poke pup. We ran about 3 miles in the 12:00 neighborhood and walked the rest. Well, I walked. He sniffed and did...doggy stuff.
    4/11...3.0 @ 12:00 ish on the basement beheamoth. The kiddos were home sick from school so I was grounded, too.
    4/12...2.25 @ 12:00 on the treadmill and strength training
    4/13...6.2 @ 12:34 on the rail trail and neighborhood streets
    4/14...Rest Day
    4/15...4.75 @ 11:56 on the park trail. I decided to try running with earbuds so I couldn't hear my phone telling me how fast I was going. I settled in to a nice easy pace, but I didn't hold back either. This is the pace I love to run, and it was remarkably consistent, with splits of 11:55, 11:46, 12:03, 11:51 and 12:00.
    4/16-17 I've been a slug with a terrible head cold, so no running.
    4/18...5.0 @ 12:23 My first run in the heat...I was wilting by mile 4. The funny thing is that I looked at last year's run for today and lo and behold, I told myself then that I should remember water and sunscreen. Some people never learn!

Upcoming races:
    4/23 Community 10K Burke, VA
    5/21 RunFitKidz 5K Springfield, VA
    6/12 Celebrate Fairfax 5K Fairfax, VA

exercise.png

• Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Congrats @MobyCarp sounds like you smashed it!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    good on you! @MobyCarp
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Good job @MobyCarp
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Great run @MobyCarp!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    I really need to get a life today, I just keep going back to the finish line stream. Funny the reactions of different people as they finish. Some hugging each other, others reaching down to touch the Boston Marathon symbol, others needing help, some seem to want to keep running. Very diverse.

you're not the only one....it's kind of addicting.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    The others of you that need to get a life today, besides me... check out:

http://www.boston.com/sports/boston-marathon/2016/04/18/live-best-moments-boston-marathon
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member

Zekela: 11758 Amanda Murdaugh: 21330 Andrew Hodges: 1086 Martin Schneekloth: 5398 Dink Taylor: 7441 and Tim Vinson 971

Holy crap, someone local to you has a sub-1000 bib?!!? He's gotta be smokin' fast!

Tim still isn't finished something must have happened to him. At 25K he dropped 2 mins a mile in time and he's just getting to the 30K. :cry:

On Tim's facebook:

A rare tough day at my favorite race. It was warm, my stomach went South, and I couldn't keep fluids down. Which led to cramping, and eventually the legs wouldn't respond. Plus a couple of pretty awesome looking blisters. Made it to the med tent around 17, which means that I did experience the Wellesley scream tunnel, as well as a lot of awesome spectators along the way. What a great event! Great job to my Fleet Feet teammates and other running friends on their performances!
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    All of this talk of Boston has me Googling marathon training plans...hmmm. Perhaps a goal for later this year or 2017. Help! I'm being sucked in!
  • MNLittleFinn
    karllundy wrote: »
    All of this talk of Boston has me Googling marathon training plans...hmmm. Perhaps a goal for later this year or 2017. Help! I'm being sucked in!

I'm looking at fall 2017 for a first marathon (assuming my half goes well this fall) I just don't have enough time to train for a spring or summer one, with snow being on the ground until April....and the Marathon I would want to do in the Summer next year, will be the day after my 10th wedding anniversary
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Congrats @MobyCarp !!
    And I've been hearing that the heat was bad and a lot of people dropped.

4/18 - Today's run: Death heat intervals. 3mi. 7:31/mi avg. 8:07, 7:35, 6:51 HOT!!!!!!!
    Daily doubles coming up. Starting tomorrow. 12-14mi per day.

4/1 - Easy 10.1mi @ 8:25/mi
    4/2 - rest.
    4/3 - 1mi fun hike for views of SLC. 400ft vertical.
    4/4 - Snowboard 41.8mi 30,000ft, descent (not counted on April total), 55.8mph top speed.
    4/5 - 7.3mi mountain (steep) run. About 2,000ft vertical, 14:31/avg. Medium effort.
    4/6 - Rest
    4/7 - 4.5mi easy w speed bursts 8:50 - 5:40/mi
    4/8 - rest
    4/9 - Beginners Luck 25k trail race (2:53)
    4/10 - 7.1mi on Black Mtn, 2,234ft vertical gain, 14:11/mi (PR)
    4/11 - AM 9mi easy (8:41/mi) ---- PM 6.4mi trail (1,207ft vertical) -15.4mi total
    4/12 - rest
    4/13 - AM: 2.25mi Med w H bursts (6:59 avg). 2.25mi slow back. PM: 10.2mi @ glacial (9:05/mi) - 14.7mi total.
    4/14 - 8.3mi easy. 463ft vert.
    4/15 - 5mi all out. 36:14 (7:15/mi)
    4/16 - 5.2mi recovery (873ft vert)
    4/17 - 22mi long run (9:35/mi) (705ft vert)
    4/18 - 3mi (7:31/mi)

April total - 119.6 / 153mi
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    @lporter229 That's amazing!! That's a great time under any conditions, but especially with what the runners had to face today. Holy cow!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited April 2016
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

Zekela: 11758 Amanda Murdaugh: 21330 Andrew Hodges: 1086 Martin Schneekloth: 5398 Dink Taylor: 7441 and Tim Vinson 971

Holy crap, someone local to you has a sub-1000 bib?!!? He's gotta be smokin' fast!

Tim still isn't finished something must have happened to him. At 25K he dropped 2 mins a mile in time and he's just getting to the 30K. :cry:

On Tim's facebook:

A rare tough day at my favorite race. It was warm, my stomach went South, and I couldn't keep fluids down. Which led to cramping, and eventually the legs wouldn't respond. Plus a couple of pretty awesome looking blisters. Made it to the med tent around 17, which means that I did experience the Wellesley scream tunnel, as well as a lot of awesome spectators along the way. What a great event! Great job to my Fleet Feet teammates and other running friends on their performances!

I was going to take a look at his FB page, what a shame. :-(

Yeah for Wendy98 !!!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Keep the Boston updates coming! I took the day off to watch it, run later and visit my PT for my once again uneven hips.

@skippygirlsmom love that you adopted out of the US.. My husband has no kids, we tried for a while. He wasn't keen on adoption. I'd have taken all of them in. :wink: especially from Russia.

Love that too. We also have not been able to have kids, but my husband is not real keen on adoption. I think it's too bad because I know that there are a lot of great kids out there in need of good homes and loving parents. Blessings to you @skippygirlsmom for making that happen for one!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Random thought of the day..I think I need a third pair of running shoes. My first pair already has 100 miles on it, and with rotating every day, to give each pair a rest day too, I'll be through that pair by mid summer....
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Keep the Boston updates coming! I took the day off to watch it, run later and visit my PT for my once again uneven hips.

@skippygirlsmom love that you adopted out of the US.. My husband has no kids, we tried for a while. He wasn't keen on adoption. I'd have taken all of them in. :wink: especially from Russia.

Love that too. We also have not been able to have kids, but my husband is not real keen on adoption. I think it's too bad because I know that there are a lot of great kids out there in need of good homes and loving parents. Blessings to you @skippygirlsmom for making that happen for one!

@elise4270 and @lporter229 It's a shame that your husbands are resistant to adoption. I just wanted to be a mom and with no relationship in sight and the fear that a one night stand might come back (LOL) I decided to adopt. Skip is wonderful, she has her issues related to how her life started out, but we deal with what we can and move on. Elise it's very hard to visit an orphanage and not want to take them all home with you.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,376 Member
    edited April 2016
    @MobyCarp Congratulations! You finished the Boston Marathon, and in a great time, woohoo!

Of course, work picked today to be really busy - I don't think I spent more than five minutes at my computer during the entire day, the rest of the time I was busy running around trying to fix (other people's) problems. No chance to follow Boston live for me :-(

@ddmon0811 Thank you so much for sharing the link! At least this way I can catch up a little on what I missed. That's a very nice collection.

@EvgeniZyntx I hope you didn't drive past my town - if your navigation system/app directed you past Geneva on the way from Grindelwald to Straßburg, you should ask for your money back :p But you still spent your day in the same two countries as I did, that's already pretty cool!

@MNLittleFinn Yes, you need another pair of running shoes! The more people buy new running shoes, the less guilty I will feel about adding another pair to my collection ;)

Okay, so I'll hopefully get a gift vertificate for my favourite online running store for my birthday. Which is in 10 days - surely I can survive that long without trail shoes! That will give me a little time to decide between the two pairs to which I've narrowed it down now - Asics FujiRunnegade or the Saucony Xodus 5.