Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why are there more eating opportunities for kids now than in the past?

Options
12346»

Replies

• bratschesoup
    bratschesoup Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    @nvmomketo I think you are right. I do not remember *candy* being a part of our snacks. As a child, I would have half (or 1/3 of) a banana for a snack after school. Sometimes, I would have an apple, orange, berries (whatever happened to be in season at the time). I never considered candy a snack, but a "special treat" that kids earned for Christmas, or something offered at weddings. Then again, special treats for me were Apples with cinnamon, fresh pineapple right out of the peel, or cantaloupe with homemade light topping (plain yogurt, but I didn't know this at the time :p Granola bars were considered a meal on busy days, and seeing how the macros stack up, I can kind of see why. I didn't consider myself an active child, I was mostly on academic teams; however, my father made me go play outside after school (tag, hide and seek, dodge ball, double dutch etc). Candy during an athletic game seems like a bad idea.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    tufel wrote: »
    I coached my kids' soccer teams. Boy-oh-boy did I fight those team moms over the half-time snack and the juice box after. Even when the kids were in high-school there had to be a sweet drink afterwards -- except on the high school team, where the parents were not involved.
    I never saw one of those high-school players become so emaciated that they could not make the next game. Nor do I remember feeling deprived, when I played as a kid, when all we got was water from the water fountain.
    It's all too much. It's not the extra calories so much. It's the training, the training that you cannot go for two hours without putting something in your mouth, the training that an activity is not fun if it does not include sugar. Those are bad, bad habits to saddle our youth with.

Wow! Parents are allowed to do this? Where I am, I cannot imagine approaching the kids with snacks or juice or water or whatever mid-practice! They would think I am completely crazy.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of the prevalence of snacks can be attributed to the much busier schedules and longer days out of the house that are common for children today. I'm a working mom of 2 boys, ages 4 and 7.

My kids eat breakfast at home around 7am. We leave for the before care program at school at 8 am. They can eat free breakfast at school at 9 am if they choose (they usually do). After that, lunch is at 12:30 pm. Without that second breakfast, they would have 5.5 hours between breakfast at home and lunch. Their lunch period is 18 minutes. That includes the time to get about 100 children from grades PreK to 1st grade into the lunch room, seated, open their lunches (little ones often need help opening bottles of water and sandwich bags) and eating. My kids rarely finish their lunch and I've been there watching them shoving the last of their sandwich in their mouths as they are ushered out for recess. The 4 year old does get an afternoon snack at school, the 7 year old does not. They both get a snack at their after school child care programs. I pick them up around 5:30 and we rush to get to baseball practice or game. If they say they are hungry then, I let them share a bag of animal crackers or something. By the time we get done with practice or the game, and get home, it's 7 pm and we still have to cook and eat dinner, do homework, take baths, and read before bed at 8:30.

That is an incredibly long day for all of us and I can't imagine making it through without all of those snacking opportunities.
  • StephanieJane2
    StephanieJane2 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    We didn't have the choice years ago, nor did we sit in front of tvs or computers. More playing and less junk food !