Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Did You / Would You Vax Your Child?

135678

Replies

  • Fasterby54Fasterby54 Posts: 7Member Member Posts: 7Member Member
    Ok, Losing it, (if I may be so bold as to call you by the part of your name that I find the most amusing), You can ask me a scary question, that if i am being honest I have to agree with, (yes i would feel horrible if my kid couldn't procreate ) , but my counter question would be, what if he had died or been made sterile from vaccination, how would I feel?

    And my decision was not "ill-informed". It was super-informed, mega-informed, colossal-informed! and given the outcome, the right decision for me.

    I will give you this though,
    1) with the current ease of travel and access to and from the US, (we have 4 know cases of Zika in Nevada, all from people returning from other countries), consideration should be given to this.
    2) I appreciate the way you frame your opinions. They are smart, but non-combative and make me want to respond, rather than just say f this.
    3) I'm glad hygiene is improving. I'm very much pro-hygiene. :)
    4) I love that my thoughts are "dangerous". Some of the best parts of my life were when i felt dangerous.
    So at this point, we just disagree on this issue. I've got 400 calories left today and a sexy beautiful bourbon 18 year old bourbon calling to me. So good night, and its been fun.



  • GaleHawkinsGaleHawkins Posts: 7,640Member Member Posts: 7,640Member Member
    People who do not vaccinate their children should be locked away for child endangerment. It's one thing to let your ignorance and massive stupidity have an effect on your own life, but quite another to make that same decision for a child.

    het.sagepub.com/content/early/2011/05/04/0960327111407644.full.pdf+html

    @OneHundredToLose what are we as parents in the USA doing wrong that makes us rank dead last out of 34 developed countries at keeping our infants from dying. It can not be that we are making them obese that much faster than the other 33 nations. Are you aware it is often the parents with advanced/terminal degrees in science and healthcare that have vaccination concerns of their infants?

  • ziggy2006ziggy2006 Posts: 255Member Member Posts: 255Member Member
    Sorry to double post, but I forgot to add that, yes, I vaccinated my children. I stay up to date on my own vaccinations, especially my annual flu shot.

    I also make sure my dogs are vaccinated - believe it or not, the ideas behind antivaccination are now starting to infiltrate the veterinary world. Yeah, there are people even choosing not to vaccinate their pets for rabies - it is quite alarming!
  • amusedmonkeyamusedmonkey Posts: 9,684Member Member Posts: 9,684Member Member
    Not vaccinating is not a "thing" here so everyone does it. Vaccines for infants are provided by the government, and additional school age vaccines are also free. Children get vaccinated at school every year and extensive records are kept where special appointments are scheduled for children who missed the vaccination days and children with a medical history of certain vaccine allergies are handled appropriately. So basically, even if parents are less educated about vaccines the school takes care of that.
  • snikkinssnikkins Posts: 1,282Member Member Posts: 1,282Member Member
    100df wrote: »
    Well Christine-72, since I don’t know the specifics of what happened there, but you asked me the question, I of course, would feel horrible. How would you feel if a child was vaccinated and then died? That’s what happened here last year. See, its not a fair question.

    Adults are the most common source of pertussis infection in infants. Once an adult gets the Tdap vaccine, they should get the Td (tetanus and diphtheria) booster every 10 years from then on, but who is really doing that? My kids did not infect anyone, nor did they get infected.

    The question was did I/would I vaccinate. And no I didn’t and wouldn’t. I am not trying to tell anyone else what they should or should not do. I am not anti-medicine. If my kids were sick and needed medical help, I’d get it. If we traveled to a county where certain shots were recommended and after research I agreed, I’d get them. But I do not agree with the American dosage/timetable of vacines. US babies 26 doses of vaccines before age one, which is twice as many vaccinations as babies in Sweden and Japan get.

    Thank you for an honest, non-attacking question.

    I get mine and so does my husband. I have had cancer. I go for check-ups. Last thing I want to do is infect someone on chemo. We get flu shots for the same reason.

    Your kids, your decisions but so far I haven't read a rational reason from you.

    Yup. I get mine, too. I'm not as good as I should be about getting a flu shot every year, but I actually got the MMR booster when I was 17 because the documents were lost.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunnerT1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 9,867Member Member Posts: 9,867Member Member
    mathjulz wrote: »
    mkakids wrote: »
    My 3 younger children are not fully vaccinated.

    My oldest was fully vaccinated...when she recieved her last mmr shot, she had a severe allergic reaction that landed her in the hospital. The reaction triggered the gene she carries for Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis. She was 4, and developed JRA in her feet and ankles. While not debilitating, having rheumatoid arthritis from the age of 4 in your feetvand ankles is very limiting. There are day where she is nearly immobile.

    Because my other children also carry the gene for JRA, we (along with our ped) have elected to not give the other kids the MMR in the off chance that they also have an allergic reaction. They have a medical exemption, but attend a private school where they would be allowed to attend regardless.

    Had no one had a reaction, they would be fully vaccinated.

    This is another great argument for herd immunity. Your children are at higher risk from the vaccinations, but as long most people around them are already immune (through vaccinations), they have much less chance of getting the illnesses. :smile:

    The other thing for @mkakids to consider is that when there is a trigger for an auto-immune disease (I know... I have the same problematic HLA genes on my chromosome 6, and triggers for type 1 diabetes and Hashimoto's have happened for me), it can be anything. So unless your kid is going to live in a bubble for his life and never be exposed to any illness ever, s/he has the risk of developing auto-immune diseases. Yes, a vaccination means being exposed to an illness. So does going to school or just being around people, animals, or places. Getting the vaccine prevents an illness. NOT getting a vaccine, contrary to your understanding, does absolutely nothing to prevent an auto-immune disease. If someone has the genes, there are a tremendous number of things that can trigger it. My type 1 auto-immune response was triggered by a cold. I'm not telling everyone that I got type 1 diabetes because of the common cold virus... that would be dishonest. In the same way, telling everyone that your kid got rheumatoid arthritis because of a vaccine is dishonest. That logic completely ignores the real process involved with development of auto-immune diseases. It happened because 1) they have genes for it and 2) the auto-immune response was triggered. If they were vaccinated and later on, a cold triggered it, then what?!
    edited April 2016
  • MommyL2015MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411Member Member Posts: 1,411Member Member
    All mine are. The only thing we don't do is get a flu vaccine.
  • 100df100df Posts: 668Member Member Posts: 668Member Member
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I don't have children, but if I did...I believe I would have them vaccinated. However, I would look at the schedule and see if a delayed schedule might be better medically and psychologically. I have a friend who did that and it seemed to work well for her.

    I also have a close friend who has not had her children vaccinated. While I disagree with her decision, I choose to have calm, educated conversations with her about it. I highly respect my good friend and know she isn't uneducated, so if I look to understand why she made the decision for her family that she did.

    I do not get the flu shot anymore. I find for myself it is not worth the risk.

    That's how I handled it. I expressed how nervous I was. The doctor quickly explained the delayed schedule. It has been years so may not be remembering correctly but I think the delayed schedule was standard in his practice.

    I doubt I would get the flu vaccine if I didn't have to go to the cancer center for check-ups.
    edited April 2016
  • fannyfrostfannyfrost Posts: 756Member Member Posts: 756Member Member
    My daughter was vaccinated and received boosters. I also booster again recently before a trip to South Africa.

    However, when it was time for HPV my duaghter's Doctor did not want her to get it. She has reactions to all her shots, especially DPT, she was even given a special DPT her second time around because of the reaction to the "P" which is whooping cough. I still had her vaccinated, we just made sure she receive the right one.

    Vaccines save lives, but there are risks with vaccines just like anything. Almost everything you put in your body, drug or food actually has a risk. Almost every drug can cause death as a side effect, this includes vaccines. However, the side effect risks on the vaccines or the drug is often less than the actual disease. In some instances that is not the case, this is why it is so important. When someone with a weak immune system can not receive a vaccine then they are dependent upon others to help prevent the disease. The worst is that those with weak immune systems are more likely to die if they get the disease the vaccine would prevent. That is why Anti-Vaxers are scary.
  • GaleHawkinsGaleHawkins Posts: 7,640Member Member Posts: 7,640Member Member
    ziggy2006 wrote: »

    @OneHundredToLose what are we as parents in the USA doing wrong that makes us rank dead last out of 34 developed countries at keeping our infants from dying.

    There are many reasons why our infant mortality rates are not as good as other nations.

    Not all countries count live births in the same way. In the US, every birth of a living baby is counted. In some other countries, babies born below a certain size or before achieving a certain gestational age may be excluded. This can make international comparisons challenging.

    The US has a higher rate of preterm birth than other countries, which seems to be closely linked to race and socioeconomic status. Additionally, babies born to mothers of lower socioeconomic status have a much higher death rate than babies born to mothers who are wealthy and well-educated. Access to and the ability to pay for health care during pregnancy and an infant's first year of life is not universal in the US.

    From the study it seems the race thing you mentioned it seems to be the white baby deaths pushing up USA death rates for the most parts.

    From the study:
    Minority races
    It has been argued that the US IMR is poor in comparison
    to many other nations because African–American
    infants are at greater risk of dying relative to White
    infants, perhaps due to genetic factors or disparities
    in living standards. However, in 2006 the US IMR for
    infants of all races was 6.69 and the IMR for White
    infants was 5.56.13 In 2009, this improved rate would
    have moved the United States up by just one rank internationally,
    from 34th place to 33rd place.8 In addition,
    the IMRs for Hispanics of Mexican descent and Asian–
    Americans in the United States are significantly lower
    than the IMR for Whites.6 Thus, diverse IMRs among
    different races in the Unites States exert only a modest
    influence over the United States’ international infant
    mortality rank.
  • soraurensorauren Posts: 246Member Member Posts: 246Member Member
    We used a delayed schedule after an odd reaction with my oldest to two shots at once. Only one shot per appointment. They were all caught up by the time they started school.
This discussion has been closed.