Is anyone going to get the fitbit Alta?

13»

Replies

• BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Actually, though, now that I think about it....maybe my step count IS lower than it should be. A couple of weeks ago I took a weekend trip with my family and on one of the days we did a LOT of walking. We were together almost 100% of the time except for maybe separating at a museum, trips to the restroom, etc. Anyway, both my husband (6"1', much larger stride than mine) and my son (4"1', so significantly shorter stride than mine...yes, he's 7, please don't judge me for having bought him a ridiculously expensive gadget he doesn't at all need, haha) had several thousand more steps than I did at the end of the day. I ended with 22,845 steps that day, my son ended with not quite 27,000, and my husband ended with a little over 26,000. There's no way we were apart for 3,000-4,000 steps worth of time, even accounting for different stride lengths. So, maybe there's something to that, and I'm just lucky in that underestimation for most people is accuracy for me :lol:.
  • GabinkaP
    GabinkaP Posts: 188 Member
    I want the Alta. I have a Flex now. I wear splints to sleep so it's been important that I could take the tracker out of the band and put it in a clip attached to my splints. The Charge and Charge HR don't have removable bands so I didn't consider them. But the Alta has a lot of the same features and does have a removable band. And the band itself looks a lot more classy. It's definitely the one I want. I wish they had a trade in program. For example, they just sent me a replacement Flex. If they'd sent me an Alta instead, I would happily have paid the difference.

So for now, I have to wait. Maybe until Black Friday in November.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Barbie, underestimating steps, miles and therefore calories.

I've always had a suspicion that my zip way overestimates my TDEE, going on my slower than slow weight loss. So I wont mind mind at all if the alta underestimates..

A lot of these folks are comparing their Alta with their other HR monitors, so for all they know the alta is accurate, and their other ones were not??

Here's the link to the group

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Alta/bd-p/alta
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Yeah, I read some of those yesterday.

Like I said, I might not be the best person to judge this stuff, just due to other factors. But, it's quite accurate for me WITH the tweaks I made to make it accurate (that I would expect to have to make with any other Fitbit or similar device), and that's compared to actual weight change/calorie intake vs calorie burn data, so I personally believe that it's probably not that far off for most people. There are a lot of people who are complaining about underestimating, but also a good number of people complaining about over counting steps. So who knows.
  • GabinkaP
    I just ordered mine. Should be getting it around the 9th or 10th.
  • wolf7313
    wolf7313 Posts: 1 Member
    I have the Fitbit Alta....I love it!!! No problems at all. I wear it at work, of course, and even with my arm down in a shampoo bowl numerous times a day, not one scratch! I have hit it on a door facing and no scratch. Don't bother with those screen protectors because you don't need them!
  • 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    I got one a week ago. Loving it so far.
  • GabinkaP
    edited May 2016
    Got my Alta and a screen protector for it and put it into use this weekend. It was a little challenging to get set up but now that it is, I love it. It's more classy than the Flex was and shows more information. I don't feel it's inaccurate either.

Got 8 screen protectors for $1.49 on eBay. So I won't have to worry about scratches.
  • Christine_72
    Do any of you have trouble clasping it? When I tried it on in the store, the sales girl had great difficulty clipping it into the holes. How am I supposed to do it by myself lol
  • GabinkaP
    I do find that it doesn't fit as well. With 2 spaces free on the band, I feel the Alta is too lose. The tracker itself is kind of heavy so it falls forward when my arm is down and the other way when my arm is up. With 1 space free, it leaves an imprint of the tracker on my arm after a day of wearing it. Could use a fit just between those two.
  • Christine_72
    GabinkaP wrote: »
    I do find that it doesn't fit as well. With 2 spaces free on the band, I feel the Alta is too lose. The tracker itself is kind of heavy so it falls forward when my arm is down and the other way when my arm is up. With 1 space free, it leaves an imprint of the tracker on my arm after a day of wearing it. Could use a fit just between those two.

Did you get the large or small?
  • GabinkaP
    I got the small and yes, I had difficulty clasping it. Apparently you need to do it a couple times to make the holes loosen up a bit. But I found I could unhook the whole band from the tracker on side. I tried it to see if I could get it off and put it back on that way. That's generally what I do now. I don't unclasp the band at all, except when I tried the tighter size.
  • NewHealthyBug
    NewHealthyBug Posts: 39 Member
    I have one now, and love it!! I got it today!
    My page www.fitbit.com/user/4N8CTG
  • Christine_72
    I've had mine for a week now. I love it too :love:
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    How often does the Alta need charging?

Thinking of giving hubby his first Fitbit, and Target have got it at a good price for Chrimbo.
  • Christine_72
    Orphia wrote: »

Thinking of giving hubby his first Fitbit, and Target have got it at a good price for Chrimbo.

@Orphia I know the battery lasts at least 5 days, I haven't let it go any longer than that. I just saw Harvey Norman have them for $97!! I paid $169.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Orphia wrote: »

@Orphia I know the battery lasts at least 5 days, I haven't let it go any longer than that. I just saw Harvey Norman have them for $97!! I paid $169.

Thanks, @Christine_72 ! Thanks for the tip! Target have them for $99, so you might have saved me even more.