Diet?? ugh

Tough part eating healthy, the word "diet" sounds so depressing

Replies

• jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Then don't call it that. I'm not on a diet. I log my food and keep it below maintenance to lose weight but I can eat what I want.
  • joncooper1980
    joncooper1980 Posts: 96 Member
    What does "eating healthy" even mean? You can put on weight even if all you ate was celery but you ate more calories than your body burned. Yet celery would be considered a "healthy" food.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    What does "eating healthy" even mean? You can put on weight even if all you ate was celery but you ate more calories than your body burned. Yet celery would be considered a "healthy" food.

Agree: In fact I try to avoid labeling foods as good or bad at all these days.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    diet is define as the finds of foods that we habitually eat...

and define "eating healthy"...my diet (see above) includes all the foods I love want and crave just in a lower quantity.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    It's not a diet, it's a way of choosing to live. Reaching your goals, getting fit, having the body you and everyone else wants but few achieve, etc.

Remember it's a marathon not a sprint. "Dieting" implies stopping after you reach your goals. You are either cutting, bulking, or maintaining - it never ends nor should it.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    I never use that word.... it implies an end date! if we go back to old ways, we would re-gain what we'd lost...
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Think of diet as the foods you eat and drink, because that is exactly what it is.
    It is the quantity that can be depressing, but the end results are worth the effort.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    You don't have to label what you're doing if it bothers you. To lose weight all you need to do is eat at an appropriate calorie deficit for your goals. So really, you're just eating less food. You don't have to make drastic changes to the kinds of foods you're eating though.
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Whenever someone asks me about my weightloss I've never once told them I'm on a diet. That implies that I'm restricting or avoiding things. I'm not. I still eat the same foods just less of them. It's not a diet it's a lifestyle change. If you want results that will last a lifetime you have to change your bad habits into good habits and make better choices.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    I don't "diet", I live my life and count the calories I consume. Don't allow the "diet" label determine who or what you are.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I eat regular food that I like in appropriate portion sizes. It has nutrients therefore it is part of my healthy diet. I have increased the amount of protein, fruits and vegetables I eat. I did not give up a bunch of foods to do that. Not depressing at all.
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    I'm not on a diet. If you feel restricted and are forcing yourself to eat certain foods, then you may be going about this wrong. You can eat whatever you want as long as it fits in your calorie limit. This doesn't have to be a miserable process :)
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Think of diet as the foods you eat and drink, because that is exactly what it is.

yep. Diet is not a bad word. it is literally just the foods that make up what we eat to live.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Diet describes the food you eat. Every person has a diet. It's not a bad word. My diet includes moderation, as most should. It's just a word don't give it so much power.