Cookbook vs recipe calculator

I've been eating the wheatbelly focaccia bread. Recipe in cookbook says 188 calories per serving and recipe makes 2 servings. I put the same recipe in myfitness pal recipe calculator and it says over 1300 calories. Can anyone tell me why they are so far apart?

Replies

• carlapendergrass
    carlapendergrass Posts: 42 Member
    Well, no, not without seeing both the original recipe and what you have entered in MFP. However, seems like there is some error, either in the original recipe's numbers, or in your entry.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Are you sure the entries you picked from the database to build the recipe are accurate? There are a lot of erroneous entries. I've never heard of any bread being 1300 calories per serving...you goofed on something.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Never ever trust recipes. I've made a 'skinny' jam roll that ended up 350 calories instead of 200... and a pie that ended up at 700 calories a serving instead of 400!

But yeah your difference seems extreme. Double check your recipe and the entries that you used to make sure they are accurate.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Check the ingredients and amounts selected by the recipe builder carefully. Sometimes it will match the wrong thing which will not be the right calories. I've had it give me salted butter for salt before or the wrong thing for flour or the wrong amount of the right ingredient.
    188 sounds more reasonable for a serving of bread so I'd guess the cookbook is closer to correct.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    The ingredients in the mfp recipe calculator are the same as you take your chances with when you make your food plan. For instance, I put in a recipe that was a soup that had a squash, a cauliflower, vegetable stock, and some celery, carrots, and onion. Should be low cal, right? The "Squash" which the recipe calculator found happened to have thousands of calories per serving. To fix this, I went back to the recipe, edited it, and made sure that the "squash" it used matched the USDA numbers.