Scale recommendations

Hi everyone !

I am looking to buy a body scale and a food scale. Any recommendations? Do you believe the body fat % can ever be accurate on a body scale?

Thanks!

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Hi everyone !

I am looking to buy a body scale and a food scale. Any recommendations? Do you believe the body fat % can ever be accurate on a body scale?

Thanks!

Body scale: just about any mid-range digital scale should be fine. Too cheap and it's likely the manufacturer cut corners on the components. The body fat electro-impedance measurement is not that accurate on home scales, so if your scale does have it just take the readings as very coarse estimates.

Food scale: any inexpensive digital scale is fine. I have two must have features: tare function to zero the scale as ingredients are added, and the units selector easily accessible (if I have to flip the scale over each time I turn it on to weigh in grams, that's a fail)

• WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    I weight myself every morning and have a wifi scale (Fitbit Aria)I love that I don't have to remember to track and it links to trend weight.com. If you weigh everyday, it's great.

While I don't think the body fat is accurate, it does stay consistent. I weigh in in the mornings,
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    My scale wasn't consistent -- I could weigh myself 4-5 times in a row and get different results. After reading reviews, I settled on an EatSmart digital scale, and am completely happy with it. It's consistent, and reasonably accurate compared to the weights I get at my doctor's office. I liked it so much I bought an EatSmart food scale as well, which is also a great scale.
  • robdowns1300
    robdowns1300 Posts: 152 Member
    I bought this: walmart.com/search/?query=taylor%207222f&typeahead=taylor%207222 (Taylor 7222f) At Walmart. It is a cheepie but it works great. It Bluetooths to its phone app & MFP picks it up automatically. It seems like the fat reading is mostly a calculation.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    For a bathroom scale, I can't recommend the EatSmart line highly enough. I have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Bathroom-Capacity-Technology/dp/B001KXZ808/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1461504692&sr=8-2&keywords=eatsmart+digital+scale

It just tells you what you weigh, doesn't give you body fat percentage or anything like that. But it's incredibly accurate and reliable. I'm sure there are other models that have more "bells and whistles", if that's what you're looking for.
  • lizwooshy
    lizwooshy Posts: 110 Member
    Food scale. I found mine by searching on Amazon. Its white, plastic, and cost about $8, and has a circle surface to put your food/plate/bowl. I love it! An important thing to look for is having an easy to use tare function and easy to use unit converter, on the FRONT of the scale.

I originally bought a stainless steel food scale from Wal-mart for $15, but there was no actual power botton, the tare was crap, and you had to flip the damn thing over to go from grams to ounces. It was returned ASAP.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Following. I am looking for a new bathroom scale. I don't want a glass one though!
  • coonhoundmom50
    coonhoundmom50 Posts: 75 Member
    Just bought the WeightGurus app sync body scale yesterday. So far, liking it! Measure and tracks weight, BF, muscle mass, body water, bone mass. Coolest thing around!!! Like how it syncs to myfitnesspal pal app!!! Paid $29.99 at Bed, Bath Beyond (on sale).