Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Which is more difficult? Gaining or Losing?

13»

Replies

• fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

This is a joke, right?
  • reachingforarainbow
    reachingforarainbow Posts: 224 Member
    I think that in our society, gaining weight is easier. We have a ton of hyper palatable/processed food and it is available to almost everyone anywhere and anytime. Add in the whole sedentary life style and its even a bit more easy.

If however, we stick to preparing and eating only unprocessed food, I think it is actually pretty hard to gain.

So therefore, if you prefer processed foods its hard to lose, and if you prefer unprocessed foods its harder to gain.

Also depends on your metabolism, type of job (active vs. desk job), hormones to do with hunger (leptin etc.), and whether or not you regularly eat for fuel as opposed to out of enjoyment.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited April 2016
    Gaining weight is easy for me - my intuitive eating level has always been far higher than my actual needs.
    I do a large amount of exercise but have no difficulty in compensating for very large calorie burns (I cycle) with more food. I guess it's fortunate I enjoy exercise as well as food.

Losing weight I find difficult / tiresome.

Maintaining I don't find that difficult. Really I maintained before calorie counting - just maintained at a weight that was too high.

Gaining muscle I used to find very easy in my youth, sadly not the case any more. But that ability to gain muscle quicker than my peers is balanced by seemingly losing muscle quicker as well. Some people seem to keep their muscle with minimal effort - I just look fat and out of shape very quickly if I have to stop training.
  • aleking618
    aleking618 Posts: 9 Member
    Depends what kind of weight id say. Gaining lean muscel mass had to be more difficult than just gaining. Id say losing weight and gaining lean mass are about the same. Gaining fat is just a matter of eating pies so even more simple
  • mrcs_jolly
    mrcs_jolly Posts: 25 Member
    Simply put, to gain weight you have to maintain a calorie surplus (I increase my carbs), to lose weight you have to maintain a calorie deficit (I decrease my carbs and up my protein).
  • silverkitty777
    silverkitty777 Posts: 10 Member
    For ME, gaining weight is difficult. I'm over 40 and have never hit 110 lbs. I have tried. I am fit, healthy, active and loving life. Naturally thin. Thank you family! Ancestors!

Genetics, as always.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

This is a joke, right?

My thoughts too.

Let's randomize 200 people into two groups, 100 have to lose 14 lbs and the other 100 have to gain 14 lbs. Place your bets.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    I find losing easy, & unfortunately, gaining is easy! What's difficult is maintaining. I have been at or below my goal weight for about 4 years, if I'm not vigilant, weight can creep on all too easily.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    For me it goes like this (easiest to hardest)

1) Gaining weight (fat)
    2) Losing fat
    3) Gaining weight (muscle)
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    I imagining gaining muscle, while minimizing fat gains, would be hardest for me. When I think of gaining weight, I just think of eating at a surplus, but I'm pretty sure gaining muscle requires a thoughtful and nutritious surplus, not just, say, eating five extra Oreos a day.