Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How much fruit to eat per day

Mattwhosfat
Mattwhosfat Posts: 44 Member
Does it make you bloat or put on weight

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    If you are allergic and/or exceed your maintenance calorie level, yes.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member

Are you just starting to eat fruit? Often the fiber can cause gastric upsets until your body gets used to it.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    If you are allergic and/or exceed your maintenance calorie level, yes.

This. No specific food causes fat gain-it's eating over your maintenance level calories that do. Eat what you want, accurately track your food intake, pay attention to portion sizes (food scale), and then stay within the calorie parameters that MFP sets for you (which includes the correct deficit you need to lose at a steady pace). That's all you have to do to lose the weight :)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    According to the Aussies two "serves" a day which are ~150 grams / 85 calories each. https://www.eatforhealth.gov.au/food-essentials/how-much-do-we-need-each-day/serve-sizes

So maybe 10% of daily calories ?
  • jessica_sodenkamp
    jessica_sodenkamp Posts: 34 Member
    You could eat fruit all day and not gain weight. You'll more likely gain weight from consuming fatty foods.
    Fat consumed is easily stored. It is not readily used as an energy source and therefore not burned unless you are eating very little carbs (which is an unhealthy practice).
    Carbs, on the other hand, are readily used as energy but not so easily stored. Once your body can no longer use the calories from carbs as energy, the carbs are not stored as fat. They are stored as glycogen in the liver and the muscles. It is only after those stores are filled that carbs can be stored as fat. And you would have to eat WAY more carbs than you realistically already eat in order to do that.
    So eat as much fruit as you'd like! Curb the fat.
    Source: Lost 25+ pounds on a high carb low-fat diet.
  • crazymama2both
    crazymama2both Posts: 195 Member
    nosajjao wrote: »
    Bananas go straight to your arssse.

Damn you, making me feel guilty because I just ate a banana. :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Some raw fruits cause me pain. I don't know if it is a fructose sensitivity or what, but I would get a sharp pain in my gut and bloat when I ate apples, pears, more than a small orange, mangos, and a few others. Before I changed my diet I would only have a couple of servings of fruit per week.

I became prediabetic and started a very LCHF diet to deal with my insulin resistance. I now have fruit (berries) maybe once a month in the colder months, and no more than a couple of times per week in the summer. I am confident that I am geting the nutrients I need from vegetables, meats, nuts, and eggs. Fruit is "nature's candy" and I don't need candy. JMO
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    The USDA recommended number of daily servings of fruit for me is one.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    The only fruit that regularly appears in my diet are the prunes after dinner. Occasionally I'll have a banana, a mandarin orange less so. I do have a lot of vegetables and regularly exceed my recommendations for Vitamin A and C. I do supplement with C but I don't really need to.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,297 Member
    Salicylate sensitivity can cause bloating among other problems. Plants use it as a means of warding of moulds and mildews unfortunately for us salicylate is a toxin and some of us are unable to eliminate it from our systems as the majority do. Usually our levels fluctuate but most fruit, veggies, herbs and spices contain it.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited April 2016
    lithezebra wrote: »
    The USDA recommended number of daily servings of fruit for me is one.

MyPlate recommends 1 1/2 cups of fruit per day for women over the age of 51, which is equivalent to three servings.

http://www.choosemyplate.gov/fruit

I'm pretty sure the lobbyists over at the ADA/USDA aren't interested in what's actually healthy, though. :)

What organization do you consider better resources than the ADA and USDA? The WHO guidelines are generally similar.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    You could eat fruit all day and not gain weight. You'll more likely gain weight from consuming fatty foods.
    Fat consumed is easily stored. It is not readily used as an energy source and therefore not burned unless you are eating very little carbs (which is an unhealthy practice).
    Carbs, on the other hand, are readily used as energy but not so easily stored. Once your body can no longer use the calories from carbs as energy, the carbs are not stored as fat. They are stored as glycogen in the liver and the muscles. It is only after those stores are filled that carbs can be stored as fat. And you would have to eat WAY more carbs than you realistically already eat in order to do that.
    So eat as much fruit as you'd like! Curb the fat.
    Source: Lost 25+ pounds on a high carb low-fat diet.

Dietary fat will only be stored if you are eating at a surplus. Dietary carbs will only be stored if you are eating at a surplus. That said, your body can only tolerate so much carbs (glucose) at one time - too much glucose in the blood is deadly (literally). So your body works very hard to control that by storing it first in the muscles and liver, as glycogen, then any beyond what you can store as glycogen gets converted to fat and stored in the fat cells. This happens very readily, as you would die if it didn't. Your body has a pretty limited glycogen storage capacity, but your capacity for storing fat is virtually unlimited, so anything in excess of what you are burning gets stored as fat. You only need to be eating too many calories, whatever the form, in order to store carbs as fat. Fat is filling, satiating, necessary for health (there are essential fatty acids; there are no "essential" carbs, your liver can make all the glucose you require), necessary for the absorption of certain vitamins, doesn't spike your blood sugar, and is damn tastey ;).

So eat adequate protein for muscle repair and maintenance, keep the carbs in check, and eat fat to satiety.
    Source : lost 50 lbs on a high fat, low carb diet and have kept it off for nearly three years now.