Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Are High-Fat Foods Good For You? Wait - Are Fatty Foods Good For You?

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I don't think anyone wants to eat straight sugar -- it's not tasty. IMO there's something messed up going on if you want to.

I also think drinking straight oil or eating butter is weird, granted.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited April 2016
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    So we aren't eating more fat, or much of it anyways, but we are increasingly eating more processed / added fats? It looks like added fats went from about 38g/person/day to 53g/person/day from 1980 to 2010. It looks like our overall fat intake increased from about 161 g/person per day to just over 170g/person/day. It appears that increase is mostly in added/processed fats.

Is the data remotely reliable though ? I've been reading a few articles making the case for not using the data from Food diaries, recall interviews, NHANES etc.

I have no idea if the data in the link http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2015/11/fat-added-fat-and-obesity-in-america.html provided by Queenliz99 is accurate. Even if it is, it really only seems to show that adding processed vegetable oils seems to correlate with weight gain over the last 3 decades. Many many other factors also correlate with the increased fatness of North America though. My guess is that it is a combination of things.

• Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,789 Member
    I cook with lard almost everyday. Ghee is nice too. I use it because I don't cook with butter very often. Now that I cook with lard, I'm leaner than ever. Lard is a miracle! Fat is great! Very filling- Makes veggies taste good.

Also, I have a strange suspicion that AskMen (and other gender oriented magazines/websites) is actually written by feminists and big food/pharma shills.

lol....seriously? you did read who wrote it and who he talked to right?
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,789 Member
    I like the debate so far....great to read.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited April 2016
    journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0132672

Soybean Oil Is More Obesogenic and Diabetogenic than Coconut Oil and Fructose in Mouse: Potential Role for the Liver
    Poonamjot Deol, Jane R. Evans, Joseph Dhahbi, Karthikeyani Chellappa, Diana S. Han, Stephen Spindler, Frances M. Sladek
    Published: July 22, 2015http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0132672

As bad as I hated to give it up I finally gave up buttermilk ranch salad dressing used in some restaurants. I loved the taste but many of the 200 calories was from soybean oil. They can have my soybean oil for diesel fuel usage. I wanted the fats but not that kind due to my joint pain that is managed OK now that I am off of sugar and all forums of grains.

• nvmomketo
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Interesting article. It seemed to come down to saturated fats not being proven to be bad and a call to the government to quit making reccommendations for the public to cut saturated fats since reducing saturated fats is not proven to be beneficial.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Even if it is, it really only seems to show that adding processed vegetable oils seems to correlate with weight gain over the last 3 decades. Many many other factors also correlate with the increased fatness of North America though. My guess is that it is a combination of things.

Poultry meat consumption is a good correlation in the UK.

http://www.nber.org/papers/w9446.pdf "WHY HAVE AMERICANS BECOME MORE OBESE?" from 2003 concluded it was calories, but at the same time observed that the self reported calorie intake of women corresponded with a body weight of about 64 lbs and that of men about 106 lbs.
  • jodidari
    jodidari Posts: 95 Member
    DIDNT READ THE ARTICLE . but There are no bad foods. Let's get that out the way. Fatty foods are necessary for good healthy in the right amount and proportion. Foods that are high in fats tend to be low volume, yes. Fatty foods provide you with the most calorie per gram, followed by protein, carbs and alcohol. Most people tend to go for high protein or high carbs diet , one reason being these are more filling/satisfying and ensure you have energy necessary to get through your day without increasing your health risk too much
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Soybean Oil Is More Obesogenic and Diabetogenic than Coconut Oil and Fructose in Mouse: Potential Role for the Liver
    Poonamjot Deol, Jane R. Evans, Joseph Dhahbi, Karthikeyani Chellappa, Diana S. Han, Stephen Spindler, Frances M. Sladek

As bad as I hated to give it up I finally gave up buttermilk ranch salad dressing used in some restaurants. I loved the taste but many of the 200 calories was from soybean oil. They can have my soybean oil for diesel fuel usage. I wanted the fats but not that kind due to my joint pain that is managed OK now that I am off of sugar and all forums of grains.

I never understand why people don't make their own dressings. There are a million recipes for buttermilk ranch dressing on the 'net, none seem to include soybean oil.

"used in some restaurant", he said, unless you are suggesting to bring your own self-prepared dressing when you eat out (understandable, maybe, but weird :smile: .
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

I never understand why people don't make their own dressings. There are a million recipes for buttermilk ranch dressing on the 'net, none seem to include soybean oil.

"used in some restaurant", he said, unless you are suggesting to bring your own self-prepared dressing when you eat out (understandable, maybe, but weird :smile: .

Yeah, but if he wants it he could make it at home and eat it then. Or, you know, choose a restaurant that doesn't make it with soybean oil.
  • nvmomketo
    yarwell wrote: »
    Even if it is, it really only seems to show that adding processed vegetable oils seems to correlate with weight gain over the last 3 decades. Many many other factors also correlate with the increased fatness of North America though. My guess is that it is a combination of things.

Poultry meat consumption is a good correlation in the UK.

http://www.nber.org/papers/w9446.pdf "WHY HAVE AMERICANS BECOME MORE OBESE?" from 2003 concluded it was calories, but at the same time observed that the self reported calorie intake of women corresponded with a body weight of about 64 lbs and that of men about 106 lbs.

LOL :D
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member

I don't make my own dressings because I'm lazy. Even making ranch dressing from a packet mix is just as bad for me as buying the pre-made bottled stuff (sodium-wise as I have HBP). I did make a honey-lime-oil dressing that was decent, 83 cals per 1 T 0 sodium, but the honey would solidify every day and I'd need to spend a few minutes running the bottle under hot water to get it to pour out. I found that home made items don't last as long due to fewer preservatives. I don't have a salad or use salad dressing every day.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    So my understanding: The answer is yes. High fat foods are good for you in that they aren't bad for you so long as you are eating the correct amount of total calories for personal wellness.

Fair enough.

I would add that fat is a necessary macro nutrient so at least some is required for wellness.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »

"Linked to" "associated with" "food frequency questionnaires"

Meh. Where's the RCT?

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    zyxst wrote: »

I don't make my own dressings because I'm lazy. Even making ranch dressing from a packet mix is just as bad for me as buying the pre-made bottled stuff (sodium-wise as I have HBP). I did make a honey-lime-oil dressing that was decent, 83 cals per 1 T 0 sodium, but the honey would solidify every day and I'd need to spend a few minutes running the bottle under hot water to get it to pour out. I found that home made items don't last as long due to fewer preservatives. I don't have a salad or use salad dressing every day.

I mix up horseradish mustard and balsamic vinegar and store it in the fridge. Pour a serving into a small dish, add 10g of olive oil, toss on salad. Super easy, tasty, and stores well.