Starbucks options?

OK-time to give up my daily Starbuck's habit (trying to save some $$). What is a good low calorie coffee creamer that would compare to a caramel macchiato?

Replies

• crittergirl222
    crittergirl222 Posts: 120 Member
    They have skinny options that have nowhere near the numbers you just threw around. The questions was is there an alternative, suggesting I am completely on board with "not going to Starbucks". Anyone else? :/
  • michmill98_1
    michmill98_1 Posts: 60 Member
    I no longer use flavored coffee creamers (black or a splash of regular 1/2 & 1/2 only (only 20 cal per Tbsp)). When visiting family at Christmas, I tried one of the flavored liquid creamers from International Delights and it isn't bad but way too sweet for my tastes anymore. We were staying at the in-laws for a week and I had purposely picked up my own carton of 1/2 & 1/2 and my MIL used it all in a recipe b/c it was in the fridge so I was stuck with her flavored creamers until I could get to the store again!

I have found that the better the coffee, the less I need to add anything to it. There are some caramel flavored coffees out there that you could try to boost the caramel flavor of your drink without adding calories. Also look at the sugar free syrups (online, grocery stores, World Market has a large selection) if you're not adverse to fake sweeteners.
  • crittergirl222
    Good for you. Anyone else? :s:s
  • ladyraiah
    ladyraiah Posts: 110 Member
    International Delight has a Caramel Macchiato creamer. I think it's like 35 cal/Tbsp. It is pretty sweet though, so I am generally ok with about a tsp and a little stevia or splenda.
  • crittergirl222
    I no longer use flavored coffee creamers (black or a splash of regular 1/2 & 1/2 only (only 20 cal per Tbsp)). When visiting family at Christmas, I tried one of the flavored liquid creamers from International Delights and it isn't bad but way too sweet for my tastes anymore. We were staying at the in-laws for a week and I had purposely picked up my own carton of 1/2 & 1/2 and my MIL used it all in a recipe b/c it was in the fridge so I was stuck with her flavored creamers until I could get to the store again!

I have found that the better the coffee, the less I need to add anything to it. There are some caramel flavored coffees out there that you could try to boost the caramel flavor of your drink without adding calories. Also look at the sugar free syrups (online, grocery stores, World Market has a large selection) if you're not adverse to fake sweeteners.

Great idea. Thank you!
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    edited April 2016
    nosajjao wrote: »
    The best option is to not go to Starbucks. The best option is to not consume 500 calorie coffee flavored beverages.

Um. Or you could just order something from Starbucks without syrup or granulated sugar in it? If you only add a dash of milk/cream you are going to have fewer than 50 calories.

Today I splurged and got a quad shot in a nonfat iced latte. Only 90 calories, 8g protein, and 13g carbs.

I don't really like the taste of Starbucks coffee (they roast it to death) but I don't feel the need to drown it in sugar... there's still options.
  • nuttynanners
    OK-time to give up my daily Starbuck's habit (trying to save some $$). What is a good low calorie coffee creamer that would compare to a caramel macchiato?

You cook look into Stevia drops, they come in a million flavors. Expensive for one bottle, but I bet it lasts longer than a bottle of creamer. And you could add your own milk or cream to taste. Personally, the Stevia aftertaste is too much for me, but some people swear by it.
  • jenmsu83
    jenmsu83 Posts: 185 Member
    International Delight and Coffeemate both have a caramel creamer that is yummy! I like to put a tbsp of creamer + a packet of splenda in a cup of coffee and it's plenty sweet and yummy, and less than 50 cals.
  • nuttynanners
    Here's a few different options. I bet you could find these at a store near you :)

http://amzn.com/B000UI55FM
    http://amzn.com/B00D42FGFU
    http://amzn.com/B00CWTZ430
    http://amzn.com/B000ELQNRE
  • cmarangi
    cmarangi Posts: 131 Member
    nosajjao wrote: »
    The best option is to not go to Starbucks. The best option is to not consume 500 calorie coffee flavored beverages.

hmmm...judgy much?
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    If you're looking to make stuff at home - I brew coffee (for caramel flavor, I like the dunkin donuts caramel coffee cake), add some torani sugar free syrup (If you're not used to the taste of sugar-free products, I hear these can taste funny, but I've used sugar free stuff for a while, and the flavors don't bother me), and then just a splash of skim milk or cashew milk. A bag of coffee is $7 and lasts forever; the syrups are right around $6 unless you find a sale, and then we usually have milk on hand anyway. You can always blend it with ice and stuff if you like frozen ones. Total calories are minimal (brewed coffee, plus sugar free syrup, plus 1/4 cup of milk - maybe around 30 calories).

If you like to go to starbucks, the lowest calorie option is just their coffee (you can get hot, iced, or cold brew). They have a few sugar free syrups as well (cinnamon dulce, vanilla, hazlenut) and you can get skim milk as well. It's basically the same thing I've described above, but you're paying starbucks to make it for you.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    I use almond milk and the sugar free torani caramel syrup (actually I have a large selection of sugar free syrup flavors)/

I've also seen some almond and coconut creamers recently that are caramel flavor and pretty low calorie. I haven't tried the caramel ones yet though. I did try a plain one and it was very good.
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 422 Member

Not sure if this looks good to you?

http://www.skinnykitchen.com/recipes/starbucks-skinny-caramel-macchiato-at-home/

I hear ya as far as wanting to save $ from Starbucks. I'm right there, lol! Love it but try to come up with recipes here at home that will be just as yummy. Hope this helps :smiley:
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 422 Member
    And I know your question was about a creamer but thought this looked good. I know coffee mate I think makes the caramel macchiato creamer which I think is good!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member

Have you tried coffee?
  • crittergirl222
    What?? :s
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

Have you tried coffee?

• crittergirl222
    Thank you to most of you! Great ideas and will try asap. :)
  • ASH_DVM
    ASH_DVM Posts: 160 Member
    I am not a fan of coffee creamers, but the only one's that I actually tolerate are CoffeeMate Natural Bliss. They make a Salted Caramel one. I like that they are cream based, instead of the normal coffee-mate that are oil based, as the oil based ones just never taste quite right in coffee to me. But, like I said, I drink my coffee black so I may not be the best judge.