What do YOU do with your Quinoa??

lms32164
lms32164 Posts: 212 Member
I heard this is good for you and have never had it before. I would love to know how YOU use this in simple but healthy and delicious recipes!

Replies

• FabCheeky
    FabCheeky Posts: 311
    We love quinoa! Be sure to be the prerinsed ones, because they are very small and it is difficult to keep them all in and then get them out of even a fine mesh strainer without some trouble. Our favorite way to eat them is in a soup. I sautee onions, zucchinis, red/yellow/orange bell peppers, and garlic in extra virgin olive oil. (I keep the pan at medium or lower for olive oil. It takes longer, but the fatty acids are kept in tact that way.) When it all has a wonderful color to it, then I add either homemade roasted tomatoes or a can of organic fire roasted tomatoes, McCormick's Perfect Pinch Italian seasoning, homemade chicken broth, and quinoa. You want to be sure that you add at least 3 cups of broth for one cup of quinoa to have the right soup consistency. Then bring it to a low boil. The quinoa is done when it becomes translucent. When it is done cooking, then I salt it. The kids LOVE that soup and it is a big hit with my friends.
  • FabCheeky
    FabCheeky Posts: 311
    Oh---add leftover roasted chicken to make it a complete meal.
  • DJHolloway
    DJHolloway Posts: 15 Member
    Quinoa is a bit like couscous or rice. I will cook quinoa as per the directions and then make a warm salad by adding it to red onions (cooked or raw), sundried tomatoes or peppers, chopped parsley and maybe some olives or salad greens. A squeeze of lemon juice really makes a big difference as well

For a vegetable it has really large amounts of protein

Cheers! DJH
  • I cook it up and then make it into a cold salad. I use olive oil, tomatoes, cilantro, and spices to taste.
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    I love to boil them with mixed frozen veggies and garlic.
  • marlabelle
    marlabelle Posts: 55 Member
    For a side, I like to cook it as directed and just before serving stir in a couple tablespoons of crasins and some crushed unsalted dry roasted almonds. It's really easy and very yummy!
  • Hi,
    I eat as a porridge first thing in the morning:) I rinse, then cook it with coconutoil, cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom...
    Then I sprinkle some nuts on top or a big dollop of almondbutter....!! YUM:)

Or use it as u would use rice... Risotto, fried rice, curry....

Good luck!
  • OneFitMom_
    OneFitMom_ Posts: 151 Member
    I love quinoa!!!
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    I love to make a tex-mex style quinoa salad.

Quinoa Salad
    1 cup quinoa
    2 cups water (or chicken broth)
    1-2 avocados, diced into cubes (depending on taste or availability)
    6-10 scallions, thinly sliced
    1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
    1 can corn, drained and rinsed
    1 can Rotel (I used the kind with cilantro and lime juice)
    lime juice (however much tastes good to you, it also helps stop the avocado from browning)
    cilantro (as much as you like)
    salt and pepper
    To cook the quinoa: bring 2 cups of water (or broth) to a boil. Add the quinoa. Turn heat to medium and simmer for 12-15 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork. Let it cool for a while before you add all of the other ingredients.
    Add all of the ingredients to the quinoa. Salt and pepper to taste. Chill and enjoy!

*sometimes I add about a 1/2 cup of sour cream to bind it all together.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    I eat mine for breakfast with almond milk and stevia. I also use it in ANY recipe that calls for rice..
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    I like to use it in place of rice as a base for a stir fry - I cook it separately in water (equal parts water and quinoa, maybe slightly more water). When feeling lazy, I'll go with a frozen commercial stir fry (like PF Chang's or Contessa) and start the quinoa a little while before I start the stir fry, then mix together at the end. Very yummy.
  • Lentil and quinoa soup! I like to make it vegan, and it has a lot of protein and vegetables!

http://www.thecleaneatingmama.com/2010/12/lentil-quinoa-soup.html

It's hearty, filling, and I used to eat it everyday for lunch during the winter time.
  • electromg
    electromg Posts: 70 Member
    I actually tried it for the first time last month, with beets, yellow bell peppers, some time of sweet dressing and spinach. I forget if there were any other fruits, but it was a modestly sweet, mostly grainy flavor. It was pretty good and filled me up fast. I think I would add more fruit, myself.
  • talrcat
    talrcat Posts: 97 Member
    bump
  • bwagstaff
    bwagstaff Posts: 6
    I love the ideas here!!! I will have to use it instead of rice to try it for something other than breakfast. Currently, the only thing I do is have it for breakfast with some honey.
  • saltorian
    saltorian Posts: 192 Member
    I like to take cooked quinoa and throw it into an egg scramble with veggies and cheese. It's very filling and I think it tastes delicious. It's also a great idea if you happen to have leftovers from some other dish.

Also, I just found this recipe today and it looks yummy: http://thehealthyfoodie.net/2011/06/11/quinoa-cakes-and-poached-eggs/
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    bump for when I have more time
  • 1crazymom
    1crazymom Posts: 434 Member
    bump
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    This is absolutely my favorite quinoa recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/quinoa-and-black-beans/

Delicious warm or cold, and so healthy and easy to make.
  • SLE0803
    SLE0803 Posts: 145 Member
    Bump