Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How much fruit to eat per day

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I don't find higher fat meat more filling than lean meat at all. I include some of it in my diet because it's tasty, though.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    @mattldrowne it really depends a lot on how the sugar in fruit impacts your own blood glucose levels. Below is a post on how to use a blood glucose meter as a tool in losing weight. Welcome to MFP forums and best of success.

boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=7511.0

Darn it. You made me look. The anecdotal tale is a study of n~6. (A blogger and a few family and friends). The blogger does not give any direction on when to test blood sugar. It's pretty well wasted until two hours after a meal, as the insulin hasn't had time to respond.

OP do YOU bloat up from eating fruit?
  • Mattwhosfat
    Mattwhosfat Posts: 44 Member
    Yeh fruit bloats me up. And I suffer from blood sugar crashes
  • lemurcat12
    Then you personally might want to eat less or try eating it with other foods, like those with protein and fat.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    You could eat fruit all day and not gain weight. You'll more likely gain weight from consuming fatty foods.
    Fat consumed is easily stored. It is not readily used as an energy source and therefore not burned unless you are eating very little carbs (which is an unhealthy practice).
    Carbs, on the other hand, are readily used as energy but not so easily stored. Once your body can no longer use the calories from carbs as energy, the carbs are not stored as fat. They are stored as glycogen in the liver and the muscles. It is only after those stores are filled that carbs can be stored as fat. And you would have to eat WAY more carbs than you realistically already eat in order to do that.
    So eat as much fruit as you'd like! Curb the fat.
    Source: Lost 25+ pounds on a high carb low-fat diet.

Dietary fat will only be stored if you are eating at a surplus. Dietary carbs will only be stored if you are eating at a surplus. That said, your body can only tolerate so much carbs (glucose) at one time - too much glucose in the blood is deadly (literally). So your body works very hard to control that by storing it first in the muscles and liver, as glycogen, then any beyond what you can store as glycogen gets converted to fat and stored in the fat cells. This happens very readily, as you would die if it didn't. Your body has a pretty limited glycogen storage capacity, but your capacity for storing fat is virtually unlimited, so anything in excess of what you are burning gets stored as fat. You only need to be eating too many calories, whatever the form, in order to store carbs as fat. Fat is filling, satiating, necessary for health (there are essential fatty acids; there are no "essential" carbs, your liver can make all the glucose you require), necessary for the absorption of certain vitamins, doesn't spike your blood sugar, and is damn tastey ;).

So eat adequate protein for muscle repair and maintenance, keep the carbs in check, and eat fat to satiety.
    Source : lost 50 lbs on a high fat, low carb diet and have kept it off for nearly three years now.

Just a bit of semantics, fat isn't satiety for everyone and is only essential at something like 11g, IIRC. So, even if you are raw vegan (80/10/10) you can achieve essential levels extremely easy.

Side observation, the only people I know who are filled up or feel satiated by fat, are those following LCHF. So out of curiosity, what do you find fills you up more: an 8oz piece of chicken or an 8 oz ribeye?

OP, I eat roughly 400-500g of fruit a day with no issue on the weight loss. They are full of nutrients and many are low in calories.

Which is more filling? The ribeye.

Not surprised, since it has almost twice the calories.

Well, yeah. And the majority of those extra calories come from fat. No big surprise there either.

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    You could eat fruit all day and not gain weight. You'll more likely gain weight from consuming fatty foods.
    Fat consumed is easily stored. It is not readily used as an energy source and therefore not burned unless you are eating very little carbs (which is an unhealthy practice).
    Carbs, on the other hand, are readily used as energy but not so easily stored. Once your body can no longer use the calories from carbs as energy, the carbs are not stored as fat. They are stored as glycogen in the liver and the muscles. It is only after those stores are filled that carbs can be stored as fat. And you would have to eat WAY more carbs than you realistically already eat in order to do that.

Dietary fat will only be stored if you are eating at a surplus. Dietary carbs will only be stored if you are eating at a surplus. That said, your body can only tolerate so much carbs (glucose) at one time - too much glucose in the blood is deadly (literally). So your body works very hard to control that by storing it first in the muscles and liver, as glycogen, then any beyond what you can store as glycogen gets converted to fat and stored in the fat cells. This happens very readily, as you would die if it didn't. Your body has a pretty limited glycogen storage capacity, but your capacity for storing fat is virtually unlimited, so anything in excess of what you are burning gets stored as fat. You only need to be eating too many calories, whatever the form, in order to store carbs as fat. Fat is filling, satiating, necessary for health (there are essential fatty acids; there are no "essential" carbs, your liver can make all the glucose you require), necessary for the absorption of certain vitamins, doesn't spike your blood sugar, and is damn tastey ;).

So eat adequate protein for muscle repair and maintenance, keep the carbs in check, and eat fat to satiety.
    Source : lost 50 lbs on a high fat, low carb diet and have kept it off for nearly three years now.

Just a bit of semantics, fat isn't satiety for everyone and is only essential at something like 11g, IIRC. So, even if you are raw vegan (80/10/10) you can achieve essential levels extremely easy.

Side observation, the only people I know who are filled up or feel satiated by fat, are those following LCHF. So out of curiosity, what do you find fills you up more: an 8oz piece of chicken or an 8 oz ribeye?

OP, I eat roughly 400-500g of fruit a day with no issue on the weight loss. They are full of nutrients and many are low in calories.

Well, yeah. And the majority of those extra calories come from fat. No big surprise there either.

I am not convinced it makes a significant difference where the calories come from...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I usually eat one to two servings per day. I tend to emphasize veg and generally like veg more.
  • tlflag1620
    J72FIT wrote: »

I am not convinced it makes a significant difference where the calories come from...

I think that can vary by person, but for me? I can eat an absolute crap ton of pasta (calorie wise), but steak? I get full pretty fast. I find protein and fat far more satiating than carbs. My body apparently didn't come with a calorie-ometer, lol. Macros make a huge difference on my appetite level.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2016

I think that can vary by person, but for me? I can eat an absolute crap ton of pasta (calorie wise), but steak? I get full pretty fast. I find protein and fat far more satiating than carbs. My body apparently didn't come with a calorie-ometer, lol. Macros make a huge difference on my appetite level.

I am the opposite. I could eat an entire large bag of nuts (like 12 servings) and still feel hungry, but a 300g potato with 1tbsp of butter would fill me up. I get more full from a 12oz sirloin than I do from 20oz of ribeye and/prime rib.

OP, if something makes you feel bloated, you probably should limit intake, but I would suspect its due to the fiber.
  • rontafoya
    rontafoya Posts: 365 Member
    There are days when I eat no fruit, and other days when I eat 4 bananas and a pear. It all depends on my caloric target for the day, my workout, and my cravings. If I need carbs and am craving the sweet kind, fruit is the way to go. Otherwise, in fairness, I do not go out of my way to consume fruit. I do that with veggies; but not fruit. Fruit serves the specific purpose I just mentioned.
  • tlflag1620

I am the opposite. I could eat an entire large bag of nuts (like 12 servings) and still feel hungry, but a 300g potato with 1tbsp of butter would fill me up. I get more full from a 12oz sirloin than I do from 20oz of ribeye and/prime rib.

OP, if something makes you feel bloated, you probably should limit intake, but I would suspect its due to the fiber.

This is fascinaitng to me. I can eat maybe a half cup of nuts, then I'm full (about two servings), but a baked potato, even with butter, barely touches my hunger and leaves me downright hangry an hour or two later. I can only do sirloin if I give it a generous shmear of butter :D. I have trouble finishing a 12 oz ribeye.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited April 2016
    Ha, and I find potato to be quite possibly the most satiating food of all with a little butter.
  • lemurcat12
    edited April 2016
    Hunger isn't really an issue for me so long as I eat a reasonably balanced diet. I've not found that playing around with macros makes a difference in how hungry I get or whether I am hungry between meals (habit usually dictates that). Being able to eat when not actually hungry is more of an issue, and I am quite capable of overeating ribeye or nuts or cheese. (I think that's got to be pretty common too, if you look at what common serving sizes are at steak houses.)

I am another who finds potatoes quite satiating (although I usually eat them with just a bit of olive oil rather than butter). I'm much more likely to overeat higher fat versions of potatoes (mashed with lots of butter, fries), but that's not about satiety (although I've never found mashed potatoes with butter or fries more satiating than plain roasted potatoes).
  • tlflag1620
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Hunger isn't really an issue for me so long as I eat a reasonably balanced diet. I've not found that playing around with macros makes a difference in how hungry I get or whether I am hungry between meals (habit usually dictates that). Being able to eat when not actually hungry is more of an issue, and I am quite capable of overeating ribeye or nuts or cheese. (I think that's got to be pretty common too, if you look at what common serving sizes are at steak houses.)

I am another who finds potatoes quite satiating (although I usually eat them with just a bit of olive oil rather than butter). I'm much more likely to overeat higher fat versions of potatoes (mashed with lots of butter, fries), but that's not about satiety (although I've never found mashed potatoes with butter or fries more satiating than plain roasted potatoes).

Yeah I could scarf down obscene amounts of potatoes of any variety - mashed, baked, boiled, fried, chips, scalloped, you name it.... Maybe it's because I'm Irish lol. I don't eat potatoes very often and when I do I always take a small portion with plenty of protein and fat in the rest of the meal. I *can* overeat steak, nuts, cheese, or other high fat foods, but then I get ridiculously full and undereat at my next meal or two. Like last night I had two 5 oz portions of salmon baked in olive oil and lemon, plus a half lb of green beans with a tbsp or so of butter at 5:30pm for dinner. Was stupid full all night. Didn't eat again until noon today, and only had a small salad with a bit of sausage. Fat fills me up.
  • briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member

It is not unhealthy to eat low carbs. It is however unhealthy to eat high carbs and high fat together, which is likely what has caused most overweight people to be overweight. Teaching the body how to use fat for fuel is a very efficient way to lose body fat, maintain muscle mass, and actually achieve your weight loss goals once and for all. High Fat Low Carb all the way every day! That's what keeps the doctor away!People need to pick their diet and stick with it. Or cycle it properly. Don't eat fat with carbs, and when you eat carbs be sure to use them up before they're stored as fat. If you're not going to be working out, skip the carbs, but not the fat. If you just worked out, skip the fat and go for some protein/carbs - especially some fruit!!!
    Source: Lost 25 pounds eating HFLC.
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    There are a fair number of people sensitive to fructose who have IBS, and fruit will cause bloating for them. Otherwise, not generally. I eat several pieces of fruit a day.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    briteyes wrote: »

It is not unhealthy to eat low carbs. It is however unhealthy to eat high carbs and high fat together, which is likely what has caused most overweight people to be overweight. Teaching the body how to use fat for fuel is a very efficient way to lose body fat, maintain muscle mass, and actually achieve your weight loss goals once and for all. High Fat Low Carb all the way every day! That's what keeps the doctor away!People need to pick their diet and stick with it. Or cycle it properly. Don't eat fat with carbs, and when you eat carbs be sure to use them up before they're stored as fat. If you're not going to be working out, skip the carbs, but not the fat. If you just worked out, skip the fat and go for some protein/carbs - especially some fruit!!!
    Source: Lost 25 pounds eating HFLC.

Wat?

I mean, I understand picking what works for you, but then you lost me in all the rules after that...
  • briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    edited April 2016
    auddii wrote: »
    Wat?

I mean, I understand picking what works for you, but then you lost me in all the rules after that...

It's quite simple - sorry if I confused you.

Carbs and Fat together are essentially a no no. So either eat one or the other, but not both together.
    http://www.metaboliceffect.com/worst-food-combination-for-weight-loss/
    The best time to have carbs is around a workout. The worst time to have fat is right after a workout - it's proven that fat does not digested properly after a workout. That's why it is recommended to eat simple easy to digest carbs and easy to digest protein (i.e., chocolate milk and a banana, etc.)
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi4.htm

So yeah, eat fruit if you want, but just do it right - even better if you can do it combined with a workout so you can put all that sugar to good use!